newbie good solid build for 15k approx.

pinkiescot

Featured Posts

i paid for this boat 48.5k it was a 50 x12 johnathon wilson widebeam, i had to bargain hard to get it for that price it was only a couple of years old and a repossession. bargains are out there you just have to find them. my first boat was a 60 foot narrowboat 39k ex share boat it had gas central heating the addition of a stove made it warmer and more boaty it was a 6 berth so for your needs would be perfik. dont give up hope keep searching and look at hire/share boat sales contact the companies direct and ask if they are selling any and pre look at them good luck and i hope you make your dream

peter

ps caps and shift keys killed by virus so sorry for lack of caps

Thanks Peter, for the encouragement, the dream isn't dead in the water! It will happen, I shall keep looking.

Interesting comments about the western isles, and the fact that I don't actually need anything narrow, so, boating experts, what sort of boat SHOULD I be looking for IF I had the money, say 50k - 75k? Obviously SPACE is still a top requirement, no one wants to be confined to a small space when a labradoodle expels gas!

I have one boating friend (and he sunk his boat! So perhaps not the best person to ask anything!) but don't know the waterways of Scotland, being from London.

I would suggest that your best plan of attack would be to hire a boat for a month or so (ideally during the Winter) which would give you an idea of the space and living conditions. It could be a good investment.

If you take (say) a 50 foot (45 feet internal) x 10 foot ( 9 feet internal) widebeam, you will have an absolute maximum of 405 square feet for everything (Engine, bedrooms x 2, bathroom, lounge, kitchen, dining area & outside space) Now take a look at your house - what size are your rooms ? (say) the lounge is 15 feet x 15 feet (that's 225 square feet) or more than "half of a big boat".

Take a look at a narrowboat at 60 feet (50 feet internal) x (internal) 6 feet that's only 300 square feet.

Could you live, cook, eat, bathe, and sleep in just the equivalent of one room in your house ?

That's living on a (fairly big) boat.

Glasgow is on the wide waters of the Clyde and the narrower waters of the Scotish canal system, it's unlikely that you will find one boat that will take you all of both ways, you must make some choices. A good sea boat will be a very different shape from a canal boat.

Has said 13 year old accepted the idea of living on a boat(?) where electricity is scarce and 15 mins with the hair dryer will use all the electricity you have for today.

Look at your own fingers, do they work on diesel engines?

Whilst on the subject of removing the rose-tinted glasses, are you (or 13 year old daughter) willing / able to :

1) Carry 25 kg bottles of gas from the nearest car park / shop down the towpath to your boat in all weathers ?

2) Carry 25 kg sacks of coal from the nearest car park / shop down the towpath to your boat in all weathers ?

3) Carry 25 kg toilet cassettes (every couple of days) down the tow path from your boat to an emptying station (in all weathers) ?

3a) or Take the boat to a pump-out station and pump out your toilet waste

4) Take the boat (probably) weekly 'into town' ( to a water tap) to refill your water tank ?

5) Ration your electricity usage and understand how to replace it ?

Moving onto a boat is a huge move and a step-change from living in a house where everything is on-tap (unlimited electricity and water for example) and everything disposed of (from flushing the toilet to having the bin-men call) before committing you need to ensure that you can both adjust and cope.

It might help you to get an idea if you can live in a smaller space if you hire Sanderling through Capercaillie Cruisers at the Falkrik Wheel. I am not sure how wide it is but it is certainly wider than a narrow boat but is not as wide as a wide beam. You won't have to do all the things Alan mentions that you will need to do if you live on a boat but it will give you an idea of how you, your daughter and dog will fit into the space.

haggis

their are plenty of ladies living on boats on this forum they seem happy some no doubt have children with them you should never underestimate a women because it will come back and bite you. my coalman delivers the coal into my bunker someone i am sure will help with gas. me i think the lady in question is clever enough to work out things for herself so lets help her and cut back on the negatives please

• Greenie 1

........................so lets help her and cut back on the negatives please

Yes are negatives but they are also reality, which unless pointed out beforehand may come as a bit of a shock once the boat is bought and being lived on.

Having only ever once hired the OP is probably unaware of what needs to be done (or what the hire company do during turnarounds)

The OP is a student and, as has been discussed many times, how conducive is student life to living on a boat - just another consideration.

For many people the positives ( freedom to move, close to nature, the neighbours - or lack of, etc) outweigh the negatives but that does not mean the negatives are not there.

a student she may be but she freely admits she is 46 so wet behind the ears not i am not picking an argument with you alan but i am sure with help she will sort out a decent boat with the mooring she is sorting hopefully with electric and water life wont to be to hard. yes i agree at times boating can be a pain but mostly for me its been a pleasure. caroline a neighbor is on her second boat lining up a widebeam for next year, lesley another friend went straight out and bought a johnathon wilson brigantine which she is fitting out herself as i say dont underestimate women they do stuff clapping.gif

• Greenie 1

I think the dream is dead, BUT reality may find you a suitable boat. In the mean time see whether you, your daughter and the dog can live together in one room with only 6ft2" headroom, containing everything, without coming to blows, then add three school friends and sequential boyfriends.

Remember that everything that is on tap at home -things you wouldn't live without (gas, water, electricity, drains, phone, broadband) have to be hand carried or otherwise brought onto a boat, sometimes for silly money. (eg dongle broadband can be £25 for 6GB or 25GB unless you find and chase special offers, whereas home broadband can be £10 a month unlimited data.

I'd consider looking for an "aft cabin" design of cruiser, that way you should have a fore cabin in the point, (usually) a double in the stern and a central living cockpit area with the possibility of extra bunk spaces on sofas/dinettes etc. narrow boats usually are basically one room with the bathroom poorly separated.

A| number of posters seem to have overlooked that the OP is looking for a widebeam, not a narrowboat.

So comments about the space and layout of narrowboats aren't really relevant.

NO NO NO

The OP was actually looking for advice on a narrowboat as she was under the impression that she could not 'navigate' a WB in her area.

Subsequent posts have shown that she could navigate a WB, but it appeared that a WB was still not going to offer her enough space.

At the price you first quoted don't automatically rule out sailboats/yachts.
I know that these aren't commonly discussed on here but, depending on the depth of your mooring, £ per foot length they are often cheaper than motorboats (though frequently less like a home)
And you don't have to keep the mast...... (heresy not to though)

But all the other areas of maintenance and living on a boat still apply.
Especially with a teenager

Okay, thank you, it seems to be a minefield and I don't know what to think at the moment.

I shall keep looking, as even if I don't move, I still need to be in Glasgow 3/4 days a week for the next couple of years at least, so I may well consider getting something just for myself. And yes I can carry 25kg sacks of things, like who carries bags of soil to my garden (nope, I don't have a 'man who does' at my house). And emptying the waste tank and topping up fuel and water, are to be expected aren't they? It's just something you adapt to.

And to be honest, everyone says (much like motorhomers) how friendly boating people are, if I get stuck I can just ask advice, in the same way that anyone would. It was the type of boat I wanted help with, not speculation on whether I was a 'suitable candidate' to buy a boat, how ridiculous! If I want to spend my money on a boat that's my business surely? It's not a bloody members club is it, where I will be denied because 'some people' don't think I am capable.

I've travelled all over the world, travelled by train to turkey with my daughter, driven my daughter and dog to Sicily and Morocco, yes, I am a MATURE student right now but I have actually worked for most of my life, in a 'career', some people may think they were being helpful by making assumptions that I wouldn't manage things, but i have bigger balls than most men actually, or just a mixture of being daft enough to try and determination to get me through things. If I say I'm going to do something, I usually do it.

Anyway, thanks for the helpful tip on the magazine, I hadn't heard of it, so shall have a look.

• Greenie 2

excuse me please dont include me in the above both my posts were positive i read the thread picked up what you had said and tried to direct the thread in the right direction. i even pointed out my two lady boating friends who were doing great. the problem on here is they all have opinions some good some not so good i try and extract the good and dustybin the rest as i said before its your dream i am sure you will make it happen if i can ever help pm me. i have in the past viewed boats for others in my area to save them the journey

good luck and hope to meet you sailing one day

peter still with no caps or shift key sick.gif

ps greenie for standing up for yourself

Edited by peterboat

All threads tend to waffle on around each subject so don't take comments to literally. People like to discuss all pros and cons..

Im on my own and I ask lots if need to. You learn who to listen to and whose comments to set aside....I love my boat and Im lucky to have the guy who fit it out on the end of a phone and he always tells me to ask before I have a go..I sometimes follow his advice and sometimes have a go, get it wrong then ask.

I hope you find the boat you are looking for.

Okay, thank you, it seems to be a minefield and I don't know what to think at the moment.

I shall keep looking, as even if I don't move, I still need to be in Glasgow 3/4 days a week for the next couple of years at least, so I may well consider getting something just for myself. And yes I can carry 25kg sacks of things, like who carries bags of soil to my garden (nope, I don't have a 'man who does' at my house). And emptying the waste tank and topping up fuel and water, are to be expected aren't they? It's just something you adapt to.

And to be honest, everyone says (much like motorhomers) how friendly boating people are, if I get stuck I can just ask advice, in the same way that anyone would. It was the type of boat I wanted help with, not speculation on whether I was a 'suitable candidate' to buy a boat, how ridiculous! If I want to spend my money on a boat that's my business surely? It's not a bloody members club is it, where I will be denied because 'some people' don't think I am capable.

I've travelled all over the world, travelled by train to turkey with my daughter, driven my daughter and dog to Sicily and Morocco, yes, I am a MATURE student right now but I have actually worked for most of my life, in a 'career', some people may think they were being helpful by making assumptions that I wouldn't manage things, but i have bigger balls than most men actually, or just a mixture of being daft enough to try and determination to get me through things. If I say I'm going to do something, I usually do it.

Anyway, thanks for the helpful tip on the magazine, I hadn't heard of it, so shall have a look.

Blimey. Touched a nerve there haven't we?!!

No MikeBoilerman, not touched any nerve actually, I am just straight talking and direct, as many of you seem to be.

Patty-ann, thank you, nice to have another lady saying something.

And last, but by no means, least, Peterboat, of course not, I was very grateful for your very supportive posts, it's common sense, and women have a lot of it don't we, we create life, men don't!.......but we can't manage to fill water/fuel tanks/empty waste and keep ourselves warm!

Signing off before the next onslaught now!

I thank you!

No MikeBoilerman, not touched any nerve actually, I am just straight talking and direct, as many of you seem to be.

Patty-ann, thank you, nice to have another lady saying something.

And last, but by no means, least, Peterboat, of course not, I was very grateful for your very supportive posts, it's common sense, and women have a lot of it don't we, we create life, men don't!.......but we can't manage to fill water/fuel tanks/empty waste and keep ourselves warm!

Signing off before the next onslaught now!

I thank you!

Please don't take the huff!

All your questions have been seen many times before, more often than not asked by people (Men as well as Women) who are wearing very rose tinted glasses.

It is very common to see folk who are struggling with a situation they didn't realise the full in's and out's of till too late.

Thankfully, you've shown yourself as being a Do'er rather than a dreamer!

Bod

I swear every thread on here turns into a self opinionated whos right whos wrong slanging match!

Discussion is surely an exchange of oneself's opinions and someone else's different opinions. Would you rather everyone agreed all the time?

I think it sometimes goes beyond what an OP might expect. As in this case, there are many and varied ways of answering the question (which is good) but sometimes the debate moves away from the original question and gives advice on matters unsolicited (which to my mind can be bad).

I take the view that whilst being a live-aboard is great it can also be very testing at times and that people, especially those who have never done it before need to be advised of both sides of the coin (and that applies to men and women )

Most people cope with the good and the bad but they do so better if they are expecting both. The ones that fail tend to be those who expect it all to be smelling of roses and a joy..

Breaking ice round my boat on a very cold winters dawn to take the pressure of the fibreglass hull was my first and most testing experience but was quickly improved when someone on here told me about planks.
Wish I'd been told it earlier but I didn't ask earlier

ETA
She who must boat just reminded me of the frozen cassette incident which whilst it was entirely my own fault (she insists) was definitely towards the top of the list

Edited by tidal