"would you keep this gongoozlers bench?" CRT advert

magnetman

Featured Posts

I spotted a small advertising hoarding above a wooden bench with the words "would you keep this gongoozling bench?"

It was on Limehouse cut which is NOT a gongoozling hotspot as nothing actually occurs here.

Anyway. There was other text but as I was in a boat I didn't read it. And I think a picture.

Are they trying to get rid of benches, add benches or simply get peoples details so they can phone them and ask to be friends?

What is actually happening and why are they spending money on this sort of thing. It was a fairly big display not just a laminated paper sort of thong.

I have been a Gongoozler recently only because i am in the process of buying a boat,

I dont know if the sign your saw was put their by the Crt Magnetman, but i guess the more people that Walk on the Towpath the better it would be for any possible future funding from new fundee's plus the older generation need somewhere to rest while out for a nice strole.

I felt really uncomfortable when my mum and dad were taking picture's of Narrowboats and the Scenery at a Marina we hope to stay in, i was worried about invading people's privacy.

Maybe Benches could be funded the way they are in most Parks i.e. 'In Loving Memory of Joe Bloggs' that would be nice for family's and walkers would benefit.

The Shropshire Union Canal Society used to install memorial benches, with BW's approval, for about £500 before the end of BW's rule. This would be a substantial bench with a small memorial plaque and SUCS would agree to ongoing maintenance. Following C&RT's takeover, they were told that it would cost at least £2000 to install a bench, and it would immediately be C&RT's property and responsibility.

It might have changed recently with C&RT's increased use of volunteers, many groups of which do install picnic tables etc. at visitor moorings.

I dont what a substantial bench costs, but while £500 appears a bargin, £2000 feels like its a combined donation and bench in one.

Personally, without knowing details, I would have said £1000 and the suggestion of a donation made at the same time would be more in the spirit of it.

But yes, still interesting to get the bottom of the signs intended target and or objective.

The Shropshire Union Canal Society used to install memorial benches, with BW's approval, for about £500 before the end of BW's rule. This would be a substantial bench with a small memorial plaque and SUCS would agree to ongoing maintenance. Following C&RT's takeover, they were told that it would cost at least £2000 to install a bench, and it would immediately be C&RT's property and responsibility.

It might have changed recently with C&RT's increased use of volunteers, many groups of which do install picnic tables etc. at visitor moorings.

Daniel

£2k does not surprise me as you will need a bod to survey the site - enough space - then contractors to put in a concrete base - no base and a) someone will claim whiplash from a rocky bench or B) the bench will be thrown into the canal or c) stolen. Then to pay for the bench. Maybe in future it will cost even more as the bench will require warning notices and lights so that racing cyclists don't crash into it and sue C&RT.

Will try to get a photo of the advert today.

I can imagine people walking past and saying "wtf is a gongoozler" out comes the phone set to Google and we have one educated person ;) then they start noticing the cut more etc etc ££ ££ :lol:

So I reckon it is part of a marketing drive and as Cotswoldsman says more friends is probably a good thing.

Or its because people sit on the bench get hammered and cause a nuisance. It does just -happen- to be on a narrow strip of towpath used by commuter cyclists so it may be something to do with sustrans attempting to clear the way for bikes.. That would not surprise me..

I will check it out and say 'yes' to keep the bench otherwise we might find benches in general disappear in favour of bikes because nobody makes the effort to say they want them kept. It is a fairly old simple soft wood plank bench. Nothing special

Seems to me that CRT are missing a revenue earning opportunity. If they put a blanket 4mph speed limit on the towpath for all users, employed a few blokes with handheld speed detectors and booked speeding cyclists, joggers etc, then the canals could be adequately funded, and/or safe.

Now wheres that tongue in cheek emoticon?

I dont what a substantial bench costs, but while £500 appears a bargin, £2000 feels like its a combined donation and bench in one.

Personally, without knowing details, I would have said £1000 and the suggestion of a donation made at the same time would be more in the spirit of it.

But yes, still interesting to get the bottom of the signs intended target and or objective.

Daniel

After my brother-in-law died his wife bought a bench in a park (council owned) just outside Swindon in Wiltshire where he liked to go. It cost around the £2000 mark maybe a little more it was for the bench, installation and a contribution to upkeep in the future.

Mind you it didn't last long the local mindless idiots set light to a fire underneath and destroyed the bench.

After my brother-in-law died his wife bought a bench in a park (council owned) just outside Swindon in Wiltshire where he liked to go. It cost around the £2000 mark maybe a little more it was for the bench, installation and a contribution to upkeep in the future.

Mind you it didn't last long the local mindless idiots set light to a fire underneath and destroyed the bench.

Two and a half years ago mine, and Magpie Patrick's, Mother passed away. She'd moved to Marple in 1971; MP and I grew up round there and in particular round the canal, locks and adjacent parkland which we played in and around as children.

Mum's friends and family thought a bench, in an area she loved walking round, for walkers to ease thair aching feet, would be a fitting reminder. CRT asked for in excess of £2k with the "promise" of extras if it wasn't a straightforward job (there are already a few bench's, some with tables, some with dedications along the lockside).

The local park asked for a few hundred quid to do the same job for a bench overlooking the canal, concrete base, survey and all. Many friends came as the bench was dedicated by the local vicar, MP and others. After the event the park wrote to my father apologising that he had been overcharged and refunding the difference.

post-21957-0-69083300-1440843045_thumb.jpg

The local park's gain was CRT's loss.

(and if anyone is visiting Marple it's the bench nearest the stocks (visible in the background))

Rest in Peace Mum (and sorry for wandering off topic)

After my brother-in-law died his wife bought a bench in a park where he liked to go. It cost around the £2000 mark maybe a little more...

Fair do then, may well be that's what it costs out at, certainly don't see the point in selling yourself short.

Beggers belief doesn't it that, there's mindless childishness due to boredom and ignorance, but setting fire to a memorial bench is just inexcusable. And presumably not covered under the 'maintainace' either.

Daniel

IMG_20150829_110953801_zpshn8yx9oc.jpg

Public consultation?

There are new flats opposite.

Very new

I don't think we need a national public consultantation for every change, and furthermore do not feel that I know the area or bench well enough to pass.detailed comments, but I think it's great that CRT are consultanting bench users and asking for them to come.forwards in this way.

Daniel

The local park's gain was CRT's loss.

(and if anyone is visiting Marple it's the bench nearest the stocks (visible in the background))

Rest in Peace Mum (and sorry for wandering off topic)

Not off topic at all, looks like a great bench.

Daniel

I am fully expecting to pull that sign out of the cut once the yobboes have ripped it off and thrown it in :rolleyes:

Yes as you say Dan it is a Good Thing to ask users rather than be overly swayed by the views of the people in the flats opposite. This implies a healthy attitude by canal river trust :)

Yes as you say Dan it is a Good Thing to ask users rather than be overly swayed by the views of the people in the flats opposite. This implies a healthy attitude by canal river trust :)

That's my thoughts certainly.

Daniel

The benches on the Shroppie would be installed and maintained by volunteer groups, so it is only the cost of the bench that would be needed. Various volunteer groups (there are three around the top end of the Shroppie) already do installations and maintenance of the C&RT benches and picnic tables.

Yes as you say Dan it is a Good Thing to ask users rather than be overly swayed by the views of the people in the flats opposite. This implies a healthy attitude by canal river trust smile.png

However there is nothing to stop the people in the overlooking flats getting all their friends to contact say get rid of it. Is there? Or am I just being cynical?

It says comments must be in before 31st August, so be quick...

ETA: Note that their link, enquiries.london@canalrivertrust.org.uk as dispalyed actually goes to enquires.london@canalrivertrust.org.uk Note the missing 'i' in enquiries.

Perhaps a subtle way of avoiding getting any submissions.

Edited by dor

Well spotted dor !

And yes Jerra that's a very good point. This bench will be removed me thinks.

Shame for the few people who actually like to use it to break up a long walk.

But anyway why would anyone be walking on a tow path in London. Its a cycleway not a footway. about 4ft wide with a 4ft drop to the water :rolleyes: and fast cyclists who 'ne donne pas un merde de personne' excuse my french

(And I know it isn't French just one of my pet literal translations)

Edit trypo

Edited by magnetman

ETA: Note that their link, enquiries.london@canalrivertrust.org.uk as dispalyed actually goes to enquires.london@canalrivertrust.org.uk Note the missing 'i' in enquiries.

Perhaps a subtle way of avoiding getting any submissions.

I didn't see that first time round and emailed the incorrect address, causing the message to bounce back. CRT's IT morons are using bounces rather than rejections (old method, frowned upon as bad technique), so many people won't even get a rejection message as CRT's mailserver is already blacklisted for backscatter.

I put in my views on the bench (I wanted it to stay) and this is the reply:

Many thanks for letting know about the website error and your thoughts on the possible removal of the bench on the Limehouse Cut. We really appreciate you taking the time to do this and we will let you know our decision in September.

Canal & River Trusts towpath are for everyone to enjoy, which is why it’s really important that we include a many people as possible in decisions like this. Bearing this in mind please encourage others to let us know what they think too.

If you have any further questions about this or anything we do, please feel to contact us. In the meantime, I look forward to updating you on this matter in due course.

Many thanks,

Dick Vincent

London Towpath Ranger

Note the email to send a reply to is: enquiries.london@canalrivertrust.org.uk not the one that their email link brings up.

Note the email to send a reply to is: enquiries.london@canalrivertrust.org.uk not the one that their email link brings up.

Blimmin' 'eck...

Typical..

Thanks for spotting this - i've put my ten pennorth in and ALSO asked that the "consultation" period be extended as it's not really a consultation if you're going to give out a shonky email to reply to... Not holding breath.... frusty.gif