Sliding canopy?

G_M

Featured Posts

On the Broads, many cruisers have a sliding canopy eg like this

I've not seen a similar design on any narrowboats, and wondered whether they exist, if not why not, and whether a boatbuilder could build such a design?

I'm not think so much of an internal steering position, more of a way to open up the interior.

Edited by G_M

On the Broads, many cruisers have a sliding canopy eg like this

I've not seen a similar design on any narrowboats, and wondered whether they exist, if not why not, and whether a boatbuilder could build such a design?

I'm not think so much of an internal steering position, more of a way to open up the interior.

Cool Tool but how many bogs duz a boat need?

I hired one of those boats from Napton Narrowboats. The canopy was in two sections so that each side could be opened independently.

For security, the sliding sections were secured from inside when leaving the boat. We were asked to make sure that the canopies were unsecured while cruising, as the top corners of the canopy were vulnerable to hitting bridges. With the top unsecured it could slide back on impact and cause less damage.

The steel canopies were very heavy to slide. When open it was tricky walking down the side of the boat as there was a long gap without hand holds.

Also, the canopy overhung part of the gunnel, so there was less room for feet.

For me, on hot days, I like a well insulated cabin with portholes that help keep the interior cool. I can go outside to get sunshine.

It could also be difficult to draught proof the canopy to keep the boat warm in cold weather i.e. for most of the year.

Broads cruisers with sliding canopies were a throw back to the earlier hire days. They were draughty and had s tendency to leak and I have seen them ripped off in high wind as they are only held on by their weight.

Phil

Edited by Phil Ambrose

Napton Narrow boat hire had something similar in their fleet. I think they have been sold off now though.

ETA Looking at their web site they don't any more.

Old pictures of one:

NAPT-BH1275-EX1.jpg

NAPT-BH1266-EX2.jpg

We saw an ex Napton boat with sliding roof last trip, I think it was now Anglo Welch but not 100% on that.

My Ormelite cruiser has a sliding roof over the steering position (It was a great selling point as far as I was concerned as I dislike pram covers) I have not had any problems with leaks or drips, but drafts are a feature. Again it has it's advantages as there is no problems with ventilation for the BSS.

Unlike the ones described by Phil it is held on by a central track and although heavily built is not a problem to slide as long as the stainless steel runners are kept waxed .

Incidentally the side doors slide independently

14392621764_539c29c124_k.jpgFarndale H & Shapfell @ Ferrybridge 2012 by mudlarker2, on Flickr

Edited by John V

Thanks for those thoughts. Must admit I hadn't considered the added beneit of dispensing with the Heads and getting extra space!

Would have thought in this day and age getting a watertight/airtight seal shouldn't be too much of a challange, but maybe I'm wrong.

Anyway, cheers!

Thanks for those thoughts. Must admit I hadn't considered the added beneit of dispensing with the Heads and getting extra space!

Would have thought in this day and age getting a watertight/airtight seal shouldn't be too much of a challange, but maybe I'm wrong.

Anyway, cheers!

We used to hire on the Broads out of season and had to deploy pipe lagging to stuff into the gaps where the sliding roof didn't fit properly to stop the drafts.

I don't think I would want them on my own boat as they were just very drafty.

We used to hire on the Broads out of season and had to deploy pipe lagging to stuff into the gaps where the sliding roof didn't fit properly to stop the drafts.

I don't think I would want them on my own boat as they were just very drafty.

Yeah pipe lagging fits perfectly, just doesn't really go with a gas cooker unsure.png

(Must admit have used it on the windward side in chilly weather) Fortunately it's only on the cruising boat not the liveaboard smile.png

As Dr Johnson said, a triumph of hope over experience. A bit like the rise in popularity of soft top cars in the UK and the strange phenomenon of middle aged men wearing shorts at every opportunity.

We too once hired a broads cruiser with a sliding top, in April, even with the blown air heating full on it was feeezing.

As Dr Johnson said, a triumph of hope over experience. A bit like the rise in popularity of soft top cars in the UK and the strange phenomenon of middle aged men wearing shorts at every opportunity.

We too once hired a broads cruiser with a sliding top, in April, even with the blown air heating full on it was feeezing.

What you needed was pipe lagging clapping.gif

In spite of it's flaws, I wouldn't be without it, especially on a cruiser designed for the narrow canals. The low profile open or closed, on the Ormelite is delightful, far superior to pram covers that have to taken down to get under bridges like so many of the other makes. It can also be closed up in seconds.

In spite of it's flaws, I wouldn't be without it, especially on a cruiser designed for the narrow canals. The low profile open or closed, on the Ormelite is delightful, far superior to pram covers that have to taken down to get under bridges like so many of the other makes. It can also be closed up in seconds.

On the odd occasion that the sun does shine it is nice to be properly outside though. wink.png

DSC_0376.jpg

There was a type of GRP cabined narrowboat known as a Frobisher type which has a sliding roof over the saloon:

LR%20Frobisher.JPG

A lot of them have been sealed up, and several I know of recabined in steel, to stop drips, dribbles and drafts.

Frobisher Class boats were originally built by Shopshire Union Cruises at Norbury. Maybe also continued by Dartline after they took over SUC. The pictured one's sliding top seems to be now non sliding as it has a stove chimney pipe through it;