Humber Princess

peterboat

Featured Posts

I heard from rumor control a couple of months ago that the Princess was no longer up to EU spec and so oil deliveries to Rotherham [Green Line Oils] was to finish. Well it is true, this weekend Jim [senior captain] told Keith an ex working boatman it was over. I for one will be sad to see her go, I have always enjoyed over the last 10 years seeing these big red tankers moving around the yorkshire waterways. So once again the green option has gone, now back to dirty diesel road tankers destroying the roads and creating traffic jams on our estate what a waste of space the EU is

Peter

I heard from rumor control a couple of months ago that the Princess was no longer up to EU spec and so oil deliveries to Rotherham [Green Line Oils] was to finish. Well it is true, this weekend Jim [senior captain] told Keith an ex working boatman it was over. I for one will be sad to see her go, I have always enjoyed over the last 10 years seeing these big red tankers moving around the yorkshire waterways. So once again the green option has gone, now back to dirty diesel road tankers destroying the roads and creating traffic jams on our estate what a waste of space the EU is

Peter

Putting aside your anti EU point I agree, it will be sad to see the Princess gone.

A great sight to see...

Unfortunately the EU bit is why it has gone which is why it annoys me so much

Peter

Hear, hear.

I'm not against the fluffy idea of everyone of everyone in the world (or even EU) being happy as one big family...but...

Unfortunately that's not the thinking of those behind the unity and those making s##t loads of money out if it...

Peter

Would that be the boat that came glided past me at midnight whilst moored at Rawcliffe Bridge about 4 weeks ago?

Playing devil's advocate, no matter how dirty and polluting Road tankers are, they're much less than millions of litres of oil being spilt into a river, which is presumably what the EU ruling is to prevent.

The Humber Princess did this on every journey or just some??

As far as I know it's never happened recently, but clearly the design of the vessel is no longer sufficient to meet more stringent standards, which I'm guessing are about minimising the chances of a catastrophe.

What I'd like to see is the construction of more modern craft to meet these regulations and take over the traffics, but I'm pretty sure there wouldn't be the money for that.

Edited by FadeToScarlet

Well I'm glad I got to see it when it was working last year......what a totally stupid ruling...the sooner we take back control of our country the better.

Seeing how they put that boat into a lock was a pleasure to watch. Very sad it's over.....hope other traffic can be found but I doubt it.

Cheers

Gareth

Would that be the boat that came glided past me at midnight whilst moored at Rawcliffe Bridge about 4 weeks ago?

It would it would normally have been here today but sadly nothing.

Playing devil's advocate, no matter how dirty and polluting Road tankers are, they're much less than millions of litres of oil being spilt into a river, which is presumably what the EU ruling is to prevent.

I have never seen a spill from her the dock was all set up for spills......................last year sick.gif so all that money was for nothing

Peter

I have never seen a spill from her the dock was all set up for spills......................last year sick.gif so all that money was for nothing

Peter

Presumably the regulations involve things like the hull thickness and the design of the tanks on the vessel, not the dock itself.

Just to clarify I think that this is a great shame and a great pity, but i can also see and understand the reasons why.

I think it's to do with the lack of a double skinned hull. I agree though it's a shame. But this regulation has been on the books for years. I'll bet our neighbours have complied years ago. As usual lack of investment on our part. Typical of the Brits. But I guess I don't want a million litres of oil in the water.

I think it's to do with the lack of a double skinned hull. I agree though it's a shame. But this regulation has been on the books for years. I'll bet our neighbours have complied years ago. As usual lack of investment on our part. Typical of the Brits. But I guess I don't want a million litres of oil in the water.

Yes it is to do with having to be double skinned. I am sad to see it go but as you say the regulation has been about for years the ships on the Rhine have complied for years.

Unfortunately the EU bit is why it has gone which is why it annoys me so much

Peter

However I suspect that even without EU legislation the double skin requirement would have been adopted even if we were a 'stand alone' country.

The gradual raising of safety standards is not just an EU phenomena,

Loosely on the subject, worth a trip to Goole if only to see the commercial boat graveyard its becoming. Then there's the museum.

Does Battlestone do any work now BTW? Its moored up opposite.

AFAIK Battlestone hasn't worked for around two years. Last time I checked it was for sale. If it is still laid up at Goole I guess it hasn't sold.

However I suspect that even without EU legislation the double skin requirement would have been adopted even if we were a 'stand alone' country.

The gradual raising of safety standards is not just an EU phenomena,

That's probably true, after all, there are lots of jobs dependant on H&S in this country as well as the EU. It's an H&S phenomena...

Just a couple of years ago it could have been one of several boats including one the several gravel barges.

You always knew they were coming because of the way the water behaved well in advance.

My concern now is that is now much less of a reason to maintain those waterways as navigable.

On the talk of big barges on the A&C, there was a rumour that one was going to be regular one going to Skelton Grange? just before Thwaite Mills, does anyone know what happened with that?

Watch this space ............ patiently ............... very patiently ............ !!

Peter

Without knowing the layout of the area, there is half a chance that the product may now move by rail as it does to Nottingham, for example.

George ex nb Alton retired

No road the snails pace into that area has started all blocked by incoming tankers sick.gif just so sad and all that extra carcinogenic pollution to boot plus asma going through the roof

Peter

All that from 10 trucks a day? The people in Immingham must be on their last legs

I had 1 warehouse that would do upto 200 trucks a day

All that from 10 trucks a day? The people in Immingham must be on their last legs

I had 1 warehouse that would do upto 200 trucks a day

Of course moving fuel by canal or road isn't the best thing, we've been moving fuel to the airports from the major ports by pipe since the war.