check list for the novice? Me

paulstoke1975

Featured Posts

ive bought 100 boxes of matches off ebay £6 bargain

What - they got sent in the post? What kind of matches? I like Swans as you can impress visitors by lighting them by striking them on your trousers zipper.

Matches with long sticks are good for lighting the gas stove/gas oven as it's always scary when it ignites and near to your fingers.

There is at least one other thread made in the past 2 years about what you might need on board, see if you can find those.

A few lanterns into which Nite-Lights (tea candles) fit are nice to put on and around the boat (not near the gas locker though just in case), makes it cheery in the dark. I think it's Price's tea candles that last around 16 hours - they are more expensive than the cheap ones which probably last just 2 hours.

Quite honestly, you might as well go through a dictionary and pull out all the words that seem to help, such as:

Axe

Bin liners

Casserole dish

Drill (hand and electric)

Electric drill pump (good for sucking out stuff at bottom of diesel tank and bilge water)

Frying pan

Goat

Horn

Inverter (350W for charging cellphones/computers)

Jubilee clips

Keys - anti-vandal and BW

Lanterns

Music radio

Non-stick saucpan

Oil - engine, gearbox, cooking

Paint brushes

Quorn sausages

Rubber gloves

Scrubbing brush

Tube gun (for sealants)

Umbrella

Vacuum cleaner (also bags and filters)

Work gloves

Xylophone (OK, X is a hard one)(as with G - perhaps you could teach the goat to play the xylophone on long dark Winter nights?)

Yak (if goat turns out to be a failure)

Zero Point Module which is a power source built by the Ancients using Zero Point energy it is the cleanest energy source in the known Universe. "It extracts vacuum energy from an artificial region of subspace-time until it reaches maximum entropy." (East European Lady knows about these and has them installed on one boat - ask her).

Edited by Emerald Fox

Keeping my eye on this thread cos im im just making my lists. Wev decided to look at sailaways after all instead of second hand.

I thought id got it all covered but id missed hose pipe windlass and piling hooks !!!

But ..... are quorn sausages really really important ??? Cos i think they are rammy n just dont fancy them wont Lincolnshire or Cumberland or even just hot dogs do ????

CO2 & smoke dectors

grease for stern gland

tunnel light (if there are any on your planned trip)

umbrella

goat chains (when you come across armco)

strips of velcro (great for keeping cables neat)

Baileys - lasts much longer than milk for your coffee :)

Mmmm Baileys, hey Betty that has to be this week's top tip.

Phil

What - they got sent in the post? What kind of matches? I like Swans as you can impress visitors by lighting them by striking them on your trousers zipper.

Matches with long sticks are good for lighting the gas stove/gas oven as it's always scary when it ignites and near to your fingers.

There is at least one other thread made in the past 2 years about what you might need on board, see if you can find those.

A few lanterns into which Nite-Lights (tea candles) fit are nice to put on and around the boat (not near the gas locker though just in case), makes it cheery in the dark. I think it's Price's tea candles that last around 16 hours - they are more expensive than the cheap ones which probably last just 2 hours.

Quite honestly, you might as well go through a dictionary and pull out all the words that seem to help, such as:

Axe

Bin liners

Casserole dish

Drill (hand and electric)

Electric drill pump (good for sucking out stuff at bottom of diesel tank and bilge water)

Frying pan

Goat

Horn

Inverter (350W for charging cellphones/computers)

Jubilee clips

Keys - anti-vandal and BW

Lanterns

Music radio

Non-stick saucpan

Oil - engine, gearbox, cooking

Paint brushes

Quorn sausages

Rubber gloves

Scrubbing brush

Tube gun (for sealants)

Umbrella

Vacuum cleaner (also bags and filters)

Work gloves

Xylophone (OK, X is a hard one)(as with G - perhaps you could teach the goat to play the xylophone on long dark Winter nights?)

Yak (if goat turns out to be a failure)

Zero Point Module which is a power source built by the Ancients using Zero Point energy it is the cleanest energy source in the known Universe. "It extracts vacuum energy from an artificial region of subspace-time until it reaches maximum entropy." (East European Lady knows about these and has them installed on one boat - ask her).

safety matches yeah they were posted

CO2 & smoke dectors

grease for stern gland

tunnel light (if there are any on your planned trip)

umbrella

strips of velcro (great for keeping cables neat)

Baileys - lasts much longer than milk for your coffee smile.png

what sort of grease do you use ?

Mallet.

Socks.

Magnet to retrieve mallet, lock key and mooring pins.

Wet Wipes.

Floating Corkscrew.

Corking Floatscrew.

Screwing Corkfloat.

Paracetamol (non floating)

I have run out of greenoes, so have a virtual one, that made me laugh aloud.

Adjustable spanner

Hammer

Saw

Selection of wood screws

Selection of nuts and bolts

WD40

Penetrating oil

Blow lamp

Pipe wrench

Multimeter

DC clamp meter

Gaffa tape

Oh hang on, we're up to two toolboxes now, at least!

ok - so that's my Birthday and Xmas pressie lists sorted!

Keeping my eye on this thread cos im im just making my lists. Wev decided to look at sailaways after all instead of second hand.

I thought id got it all covered but id missed hose pipe windlass and piling hooks !!!

But ..... are quorn sausages really really important ??? Cos i think they are rammy n just dont fancy them wont Lincolnshire or Cumberland or even just hot dogs do ????

I don't even know what Quorn is but had to find something to fit the letter Q.

Or for your goat.

Ah... here it is:

http://mirror.uncyc.org/wiki/Quorn