We Have a Shiny Boat Now

john6767

Featured Posts

As some people are aware after the BCN Challenge at the end of May we were taking the boat to be repainted. We picked it up on Saturday.

So before

post-8749-0-87187000-1438002296_thumb.jpg

and

after

post-8749-0-93790700-1438002388_thumb.jpg

post-8749-0-76877000-1438002407_thumb.jpg

A big thanks to Anthony and Paul at Rose Narrowboats for a great job. The rain on Sunday gave the windows a test, all good so far.

So no criticisms of shiny boats, or use of fenders, I need time to come to terms with all this shiny paint rolleyes.gif.

You need to get your first scratch and get over the worry

She looks great, John

Richard

I am working on it!

Very smart and tidy!

(What's the boat you are moored behind in the middle photo?)

I can't remember the name, we were having a nosey at it, it was locked up. Not being an expert in these things, I believe it is modern'ish (looked to be all welded construction) and from the bow and stern looked very town class like to me, but as I said no expert.

Very nice - any reason why you stuck with the same colour, I'd have been tempted to go for a change away from any sort of red.

I am well aware of the issues with red, as you can see form the before picture, but it just did not seem right to change the colour of the boat too much, call me sentimental or stupid......

Very nice Job indeed John, i like the colours too - blood n custard like wot the had int old days.

What were you doing at that table ?

That statue kept catching me out, you would see it out of the corner of you eye through the kitchen window, and it made you jump thinking there was someone standing there.

It looks Lovely - you must be so pleased smile.png

I'm dreading getting ours done, hopefully not for another 4 or 5 years - I'll be back to being to nervous to take the tiller for fear of being the first one to put a scratch on it unsure.png

I know it will be me that puts the first scratch on it, Sally does not want to go anywhere near driving until I have done that!

I will report back after the weekend.....

I am well aware of the issues with red, as you can see form the before picture, but it just did not seem right to change the colour of the boat too much, call me sentimental or stupid......

I thought it was just me! If I was starting from scratch, I wouldn't really choose green, but when we had ours repainted we stuck with green (although in a different way), because it just felt like a green boat!

I thought it was just me! If I was starting from scratch, I wouldn't really choose green, but when we had ours repainted we stuck with green (although in a different way), because it just felt like a green boat!

Yes exactly the reason. In theory I would have changed it to green, but when it came to it, it just did not seem right to do that. It will now slowly (I hope slowly) morph its self back to how it was, which seems right.

Well done to you

Your boat looks great, when was the last time it looked like this??

New lease of life, if it had a soul, can you imagine how she/ he is feeling!

Just (gggrrrreat!

Your boat is looking like a brand new one like that.

But it won't be easy to keep her like that, and it may even be quite stressful when meeting other boats with the contact sport mentality.(only for the first few scratcheswink.png )

It's so much easier to keep a scruffy boat look scruffy.

Peter.

Edited by bargemast

Well done to you

Your boat looks great, when was the last time it looked like this??

New lease of life, if it had a soul, can you imagine how she/ he is feeling!

Just (gggrrrreat!

Not looked as good ever.

What sort of ball park figure ?

There was some other work done at the same time, and not had the bill yet, but say £7,000 for the paint job all in inc. sign writing, blacking etc. Bear in mind the condition it was in, it has had a compete back to bare metal job and has taken 6 weeks or so.

Your boat is looking like a brand new one like that.

But it won't be easy to keep her like that, and it may even be quite stressful when meeting other boats with the contact sport mentality.(only for the first few scratcheswink.png )

It's so much easier to keep a scruffy boat look scruffy.

Peter.

Not expecting to to stay looking like a new boat, and we had a few comments on it being as new boat on our way back. The big question is will we be be doing the BCN Challenge next year or will we be looking for someone who wants crew!

Could you merely crew after so nearly winning this year?

Richard

I don't know, we shall have to see, but perhaps not. The other thought was to join Laurrie and just cruise from the North Stratford to the finish, but then not so sure about Gosty Hill, hand rail scraper. Look what all this shiny paint has done.

We have had a change of plan for our August holiday, and today's plan is Thames, so we shall see how much paint we have left by the time we get to Oxford. Did someone say they have cut back the offside on the south Oxford, I do hope so. Perhaps they could widen Napton locks a bit in the next week as well, that would be helpful.

I don't know, we shall have to see, but perhaps not. The other thought was to join Laurrie and just cruise from the North Stratford to the finish, but then not so sure about Gosty Hill, hand rail scraper. Look what all this shiny paint has done.

We have had a change of plan for our August holiday, and today's plan is Thames, so we shall see how much paint we have left by the time we get to Oxford. Did someone say they have cut back the offside on the south Oxford, I do hope so. Perhaps they could widen Napton locks a bit in the next week as well, that would be helpful.

On the Oxford going South there are long stretches you can relax on as the towpath is on your right.... then it changes for a while and you get forced to offside upon passing a boat. :) Edited by mark99

On the Oxford going South there are long stretches you can relax on as the towpath is on your right.... then it changes for a while and you get forced to offside upon passing a boat. smile.png

I think you are in tune with this shiny paint lark! As I left Rose, I went through the route back to Calcutt in my head and confirmed that the towpath was on the right all the way, sad eh. But the amount of towpath side vegetation is a disgrace, never noticed that before glare.gif.