Please recommend me a suryeyor for 1st boat

Lily Rose

Featured Posts

Hello all,

I put down a deposit on a 45' boat from Great Haywwod Boat Sales yesterday subject to survey. The boat is in Wigrams Turn Marina.

I now need to arrange for a full survey. Great Haywood's webiste listed lists the independent surveyors shown below. I don't know where they are located, so they may not be local, as Great Haywood sell boats from various locations, not just Wigrams Turn.

Michael Clarke

Peter Tindall

Ricky Tropman

Iain Jones

Assuming the purchase goes through I plan to moor at Ventnor Marina and the harbourmasters I saw their yesterday (Richard and Peter) gave me three names as follows:

Michael Clarke (again, so presumably he is local)

Justin Green

Peter Brown

Can anyone offer any information to point me in the direct of a good/reliable surveyor please?

I was thinking of ringing three (but which three?) to get quotes.

Thanks

I'd add another name to the list - Trever Whilting, who did ours.

He does a lot of surveys at Braunston and so is quite local to you. He did ours and was great, he recommended we were with him while he carried out the survey and was happy to teach us loads about the boat and ongoing maintenance we would need to do, as complete novices it was exactly what we needed. He traveled up north to Chorley to do ours so isn't afraid to travel.

Steve Hands of Hands On Marine

http://handsonmarine.com

No brainer if he's available. Well recommended here over the years. Did mine in 2011 - very pleased with him, and I still refer to the survey for info on various things.

Were you very pleased with him because he found lots of faults? Or because he found none?

I often wonder, when someone says they think a surveyor is great!

Thanks for input so far (anyone else please?).

My initial thoughts, based on this thread, and others I've searched, and a look at surveyors' websites, is Trevor Whitling but in another thread I read something about him not being welcome by Great Haywood Boat Sales and/or Ventnor Marina (not sure which).

Bugger!

I'm buying through the former and the survey is to be done at the latter and I plan to moor there.

Back to the drawing board.

Thanks for input so far (anyone else please?).

My initial thoughts, based on this thread, and others I've searched, and a look at surveyors' websites, is Trevor Whitling but in another thread I read something about him not being welcome by Great Haywood Boat Sales and/or Ventnor Marina (not sure which).

Bugger!

I'm buying through the former and the survey is to be done at the latter and I plan to moor there.

Back to the drawing board.

Sound like a good recommendation to me

I'd suggest giving Trevor a ring and asking him, if for some reason the marina would prefer you not use him I'd question them as to why.

In my mind you should be able to pick an independent surveyor of your choice not necessarily one they have ties to.

I've already left him a message to call me back.

I'm currently contemplating Michael Clarke (includes a free new BSS), Iain Jones and Steve Hands so I think I'll ring them next. I'd lilke to hear from Trevor first though, but I guess I'd better not wait before phoning the others.

My general take on engaging a surveyor is if you are a complete novice boater or do not know anybody who has experience of narrow boats then a full survey may just be worth the money.

However based on my experience of surveyors and their surveys both as a buyer and a seller of a boat is that they are debatable in value. Whilst the hull survey is one thing paying someone to tell you that there is no flow from the hot kitchen tap (as an example) is over kill and not really worth the money. Any experienced and competent boater should be able to spot such things.

If I was ever going to buy again I would just pay for them to survey the hull.

I am a complete novice (apart from a couple of holiday hires) and I don't know anyone who knows about boats.

My main concern is a hull survey but given that the overall cost, including getting the boat out, is not hugely different, I may as well get a full survey.

It's looking likely I will go with Michael Clarke.

He's the only one I've managed to contact so far, he's available in a couple of weeks, the price looks reasonable (£475 inc VAT) and he includes a free BSS with a full survey. On the other hand Trevor Whitling is apparently not welcome at the marina (still waiting for him to call me back) and Steve Hands is on holiday so 27 July is the earliest I could get in touch with him.

Were you very pleased with him because he found lots of faults? Or because he found none?

The boat was £18,000, but felt worth up to £25k, and I was told that the price had been reduced because the owner hadn't used it for a few years and want some money, rather than expenses. So I offered and paid a deposit on the basis that it might be too good to be true. I was also told that the boat was built by Gary Gorton, who had a good reputation, but I couldn't find any evidence of this.

Steve Hands confirmed that the boat was as good as I thought it was for the money, and confirmed the hull was built by Gary Gorton. He found plenty of things that needed attention, and gave me lots of verbal advice, over and above the contents of the survey, during an hour or so chat immediately after the survey.

The survey contained information about more or less everything on board, which has been very useful as a reference since.

He valued it at £26k, which has been invaluable when insuring it, (a valuation of £18k would have meant insurers would not insure it for more, and I doubt I could replace it for less than £25k).

In 3.5 years since the survey, I don't think I have found anything wrong that he hadn't pointed out, or suspected, and I've done a few things that he either suggested, or agreed to, that have improved the boat. Some things I haven't done yet, and may, or may not.

All in all, if there had been anything serious wrong with the boat, I am sure he would have found it, or suspected it, although there wasn't, so he couldn't :). As it turned out he reassured me that my £18k was well spent.

I am a complete novice (apart from a couple of holiday hires) and I don't know anyone who knows about boats.

My main concern is a hull survey but given that the overall cost, including getting the boat out, is not hugely different, I may as well get a full survey.

It's looking likely I will go with Michael Clarke.

He's the only one I've managed to contact so far, he's available in a couple of weeks, the price looks reasonable (£475 inc VAT) and he includes a free BSS with a full survey. On the other hand Trevor Whitling is apparently not welcome at the marina (still waiting for him to call me back) and Steve Hands is on holiday so 27 July is the earliest I could get in touch with him.

It was more a general comment TBH rather than specifically aimed at you. Please be aware of the extent of the survey and the limitations though. They will rarely if ever undertake any dismantling of any sort (perhaps understandable) but this does limit the scope of what is picked up and mean things can be missed.

Your contract with them will more than cover their backsides in such circumstances. This means if a serious fault comes to light after purchase but wasn't picked up during the survey because to detect it would have required them to remove the bed top, even if it wasn't fixed or fastened down, (As another example), you will have no comeback on them.

I would be enquiring as to why they are saying one particular surveyor is 'not welcome' BTW, that sounds dodgy to me.

Edited by MJG

Thanks MJG.

I've now read plenty about surveys so I understand the (many limitations) but I'm just assuming that if there are any big issues the surveyor is more likely to spot them than I am thus bringing down the risk a bit.

I've now booked Michael Clarke.

Still waiting to hear what either Trevor or GHBS have to say. I'm assuming there was a falling out for some reason, annoying but never mind.

I spoke to Michael at some length and he sounded fine to me so hopefully he'll do a good job.

Thanks MJG.

I've now read plenty about surveys so I understand the (many limitations) but I'm just assuming that if there are any big issues the surveyor is more likely to spot them than I am thus bringing down the risk .

I won't labour the point any longer beyond this post but this is the point. Your surveyor is no more likely to spot a major problem than you are if that problem is not visible to them due to what they may feel is a lack of access or a need to dismantle anything.

Anything else that is visible and major you may pick up but yes an experienced surveyor is more likely to. You seem to understand the limitations of what you are entering into and that is good, I do have concerns though that people sometimes engage a surveyor and put far too much faith in them,

good luck with your purchase.

Well I used Steve following some recommendations on here.

In general he thought the boat was a bargain at the price which I was offering and gave me a lot of useful detail which did not appear in the survey. However he found several faults which I would have missed. Also he and his son did quite a lot of dismantling to gain access, which they were not obliged to do. Steve was not one of the surveyors recommended by the broker selling the boat.

His contract has the usual 'get outs' but I imagine that his professional insurers insist on this; in person he was much more informative.

Two years after purchase I would still recommend him without hesitation.

Frank.

I can thoroughly recommend

Peter Brookes

Technical Support Ltd
April House
13 Greenhill
Burcot
Bromsgrove
Worcs
B60 1BJ

Tel :- 07831 407943

We bought our boat from GHBS at Wigram's Turn earlier this year. My parents and brother-in law had previously used Peter for surveys and we wanted to use him too. When I initially mentioned this to Ellie she said she didn't know of him and he had to provide paperwork to GHBS who were then happy for us to use him.

We had a full out of water pre-purchase survey carried out and Peter charged approximately £400 although a basic survey started from £250 and there was the additional cost of slipping the boat at Calcutt Marina which cost £250. The survey was very comprehensive, listing safety/structural defects, items for further investigation and suggested repairs modifications and ongoing maintenance.

We were extremely impressed!

My first choice was Trevor Whirling, but Ventnor Farm refused him access. Trevor recommended Craig Allen, so I used him.

Very thorough, and removed skirting boards to check the insulation. He also provides a BSs certificate as part of his service.

Try to be there with the surveyor. He will advise you how things work on the boat, and comments made at the time are less guarded than the rewritten terms of the survey.

http://craig-allen-marine.co.uk

My first choice was Trevor Whirling, but Ventnor Farm refused him access. Trevor recommended Craig Allen, so I used him.

Further to above, I visited our boat today and spoke to Lee Cooper Blair, the overall manager of Wigram's and Ventnor.

She was unaware of any difference between Great Haywood / Castle Marina's and Trevor Whitling.

Lee said she had, had no instructions to "keep Trevor out" and he would be most welcome to carry out any boat survey at either marina. If it were to be a full survey it would have to be at Ventnor as Wigram's doesn't have a dry dock.

As I mentioned in another thread, Trevor did the BSC for our boat at Ventnor last year and as I had to sign him in, in the office the management knew he was there and made no comment.

Draw your own conclusions.

Edited by Ray T
  • Greenie 1

I ended up going with someone else in the end, partly because Trevor has still not returned my call from a week ago. I made no mention of GHBS or of the marina in my message so that can't be the reason. I didn't chase him up as I assumed it would have been a waste of time given the comments made in the forum about him being unwelcome at Ventnor.

I also tried Steve Hands but he was on holiday. Perhaps that's why Trevor didn't get back to me either. (No, I'm not suggesting they've gone off on holiday together).

When I spoke to GHBS about the surveyor I had chosen I also mentioned Trevor and, as far as I could tell over the phone, there was no adverse reaction. Perhaps it was all a bit of a storm in a teacup. Anyway, it's all academic now as far as my survey goes.