My Solar set up works

Nige123

Featured Posts

So we are living on our wide beam on the Thames & I have an LPG 3kw Honda generator & this runs our washer/dryer fridge/freezer etc etc (Just) & we used to run it every other day for an hour or 3.....

Then I fitted 10 100w semi flexible panels on the roof.....

They are stuck on with double sided tape & I did this as the first time you go under a tree or make a balls up on a low bridge your ali' frame ones are going to be ripped off or made into scrap.....

We now can run our washing machine 3 or 4 times a day & our battery bank is full by noon (4 200 amp hour & 3 135 amp hour batteries)

Next question you may ask is what controller I have to handle 1kw of charge? well it's an 80amp one that costs under £100 & it works very well & can be used with wind or solar & has a dump load circuit....

After fitting the solar I have only run the generator a couple of times just to give it a go to see if it charged the bank & after a few minutes the bank is full...

So 10 100w units may sound like over kill but in the winter I hope it keeps up with most of our use & I have had so many people asking about the set up I thought I would tell you all about it....

I can also help fit set ups to your boat call Nige on 07973 233 717

Someone once posted here their monthly power received from solar, as indicated by their controller, the winter dark months were simply 8% of the summer light months.

Winter sunlight is lower in the sky and the days are shorter, but cool panels are more efficient. Hopefully your need for the freezer will reduce during the winter.

Remember that charging at 1KW from the main engine (if it's water cooled) does also offer you another KW or two of heat from the engine for hot water.

We are the same GG - 1kw of solar and although it's Grand in the sunny months, the winter finds us still needing to run the engine daily.

However, some rather nice boaty neighbour we met on the River Lee gave Dave an old genny he was getting rid of, so that may well come in quite handy this coming winter (rather noisy though) so will only be of any use when we are moored in the middle of nowhere :)

Sounds good, but I am also amazed as to what you are washing?

I will admit to being a landbased member, with a largish 6kg machine, but it if gets runs more than once every 10 days I would be surprised.

Daniel

I have shore power on my winter mooring so not an issue.

I just like the fact I can save 13kg of LPG per month & not worry that the fridge freezer will go out when away on holiday etc...

I have shore power on my mooring, so we are ok in the winter, but have not run the engine once while moored up, when out and about this spring and summer. Looking in my log book, we used to run the engine two or three hours a day, before we bought our solar.

Would not be without, no more breach of the peace when you get to a beautiful spot and just want to relax.

Sounds good, but I am also amazed as to what you are washing?

I will admit to being a landbased member, with a largish 6kg machine, but it if gets runs more than once every 10 days I would be surprised.

Daniel

2 people doing a weeks wash...... not every day that would be silly......

I look out for sunny days to do wash as it seems a shame to make power & not use it...

Like I say on good days the controller trips out by noon....

I looked up all kinds of tech & info but I like real world feedback on stuff......

I also use river water via filter system to run my washing machine to save on tank fill ups & this seems to work well.....

I have shore power on my mooring, so we are ok in the winter, but have not run the engine once while moored up, when out and about this spring and summer. Looking in my log book, we used to run the engine two or three hours a day, before we bought our solar.

Would not be without, no more breach of the peace when you get to a beautiful spot and just want to relax.

yes that is a big plus..... Silent power.......... I love to see my little green light on & even better to see the red charged light on

2 people doing a weeks wash...... not every day that would be silly......

I look out for sunny days to do wash as it seems a shame to make power & not use it...

Like I say on good days the controller trips out by noon....

Sounds fair, helps with drying too.

Daniel

Good luck with your semi flexible panels, I refuse to fit these on boats now.

I have had to repair a couple for customers, and have replaced a few with proper panels.

I have never recommended these as a first fit.

The boat roof expands and contracts at a different rate to the backing panel, and the solder joints soon become damaged, especially if the panels are walked on.

One panel down can result in the whole system not working depending on how you have wired it.

So we are living on our wide beam on the Thames & I have an LPG 3kw Honda generator & this runs our washer/dryer fridge/freezer etc etc (Just) & we used to run it every other day for an hour or 3.....

Then I fitted 10 100w semi flexible panels on the roof.....

They are stuck on with double sided tape & I did this as the first time you go under a tree or make a balls up on a low bridge your ali' frame ones are going to be ripped off or made into scrap.....

We now can run our washing machine 3 or 4 times a day & our battery bank is full by noon (4 200 amp hour & 3 135 amp hour batteries)

Next question you may ask is what controller I have to handle 1kw of charge? well it's an 80amp one that costs under £100 & it works very well & can be used with wind or solar & has a dump load circuit....

After fitting the solar I have only run the generator a couple of times just to give it a go to see if it charged the bank & after a few minutes the bank is full...

So 10 100w units may sound like over kill but in the winter I hope it keeps up with most of our use & I have had so many people asking about the set up I thought I would tell you all about it....

I can also help fit set ups to your boat call Nige on 07973 233 717

That sounds like a well working set up, I only hope that you're not going to regret your flexi-panels, apart from that I think it's magic.

Could you tell us more about your 80 Amp controller that cost Under £100 , like make and supplier as that looks like a real bargain.

Thanks, Peter.

I have just 400 w on my boat & a 40 A Tracer . Now , my circumstances are different in that i live by myself on the boat , im quite tight / wise with electricity in the wintertime , dont have lots of gadgets just a twin tub & a very small dyson & turn off my fridge in October till say March . Tellys not been turned on since January .

Last year i had alternator probs & it took me a ling time to fix it & my solar panels kept me in electricity all winter with no generator back up & no engine from Mid december to late Jan . At this time of year my batts are full by midday and i use the washing machine & hoover , eberspacher , without thinking about . Fridge runs 24 hrs a day . Phone charged overnight .

So , as i say , my electrical needs are quite low , probably below average i suspect but the £550 i spent on solar gear is without doubt the best money ive spent on my boat & its possible to get thru winter on it as i did last year but i dont take it for granted at that time of year , i check smartgauge & use the power available cautiously , so i might use the twin tub one day & hoover the next , whereas at this time of year i just use it as i like .

I actually get out boating more between September & March than i do in summer & so i will attend to my chores - laundry & hoovering either just before setting off or whilst underway & therefore im recharging as im using & it seems to all work out .

Again , this is just how it works out for me , but im on my todd & im a low user of power .

Can i ask incidentally : 400w & 40 A tracer - could i add another two 100w panels to this ? This would be for winter time only as i think 600w would be too much for the tracer in summer . If do able , i would then disconnect 1 x 100 w panel in spring/ summer / autumn & use connect it to the engine batts via a cheap pwm controller ?

cheers

ETA : i have not run my engine purely for charging purposes since fitting the panels in March '14 . I might on occasion run the engine whilst hoovering & then let the engine get fully warmed up before turning off - 1 hour max . If my boat is stationary for a month , i ll run the engine for an hour anyway . But as i say , i ll try to make a cruise out of it , even a short one for around 4 - 5 hours or overnight & do laundry etc at this time . My boat has no shoreline 240v .

Edited by chubby

Good luck with your semi flexible panels, I refuse to fit these on boats now.

I have had to repair a couple for customers, and have replaced a few with proper panels.

I have never recommended these as a first fit.

The boat roof expands and contracts at a different rate to the backing panel, and the solder joints soon become damaged, especially if the panels are walked on.

One panel down can result in the whole system not working depending on how you have wired it.

You need to fix the panels in the right way......

I use a 3M tape that lets the panels move independent of the steel roof...

My panels have holes in them so you can screw/rivet fix them but as you say this is not a good idea...

The tape also gives an air gap under the panel to get rid of moist air & help stop rusting...

Never walk on panels no matter what ones you have......

I once saw a boat coming under a low bridge & he got it wrong & the racks of panels tore off the roof & were smashed in bits...

That was it for me flush mounting close to the roof is the only way & I wire mine in parallel not series so if some sod drops a brick on mine I may loose 1 panel but not the whole bank......

Edited by Nige123

That sounds like a well working set up, I only hope that you're not going to regret your flexi-panels, apart from that I think it's magic.

Could you tell us more about your 80 Amp controller that cost Under £100 , like make and supplier as that looks like a real bargain.

Thanks, Peter

Thanks, Peter.

my panels are plastic sheets with the cells stuck on & then a top sheet stuck to that so very flexible....

The controller is a home made bit of kit that uses a voltage sensing circuit & a solenoid to make & brake the load & I have seen them up to 200amps?

This one just works fit it & forget it... if you want to know lots of data you have to spend lots of money £500+

Doubt very much that it's a genuine MPPT at that prices, most of the cheap PMW ones drop into float too quickly.

cheers, Pete.

~smpt~

Doubt very much that it's a genuine MPPT at that prices, most of the cheap PMW ones drop into float too quickly.

cheers, Pete.

~smpt~

Hi Pete,

I have no idea what sort of controller Nige has, but he must be a smart guy (like you) who's able to produce some magic stuff, as he wrote that his controller is a home made piece of kit, which is something I haven't got any experience with, making things like that is way beyond my capabilities.

For the time being I'm happy with my very basic set up of 2 panels of 250 watts in series with a cheap Tracer 2215 BN controller and my 4 brand new Trojan T-105's.

I'm curious to find out how this set up will behave during the winter months, but I'm not expecting miracles.

Peter.

Can i ask incidentally : 400w & 40 A tracer - could i add another two 100w panels to this ? This would be for winter time only as i think 600w would be too much for the tracer in summer . If do able , i would then disconnect 1 x 100 w panel in spring/ summer / autumn & use connect it to the engine batts via a cheap pwm controller ?

Yes, but the easiest way is to get two more 100w panels, the Tracer MPPT should be able to handle the bigger solar array no problem as it will self regulate to it's maximum output current.

The best way to connect 6 100W panels to the Tracer MPPT would be in series parallel, a bit like the '6' on a domino:

gallery_2174_346_6711.png

Might need to buy a couple of MC4 'splitters' to make the tee junctions, check Ebay for prices.

cheers, Pete.

~smpt~

Edited by smileypete

I have 9 x 100 watt fully flexible architectural solar panels on my roof they have a stainless steel backing made in USA I stuck them down with sikaflex on a hotish day after making sure the roof was clean,dry and had a keyed surface. I do try to avoid walking on them but the blurb that came with the panels said it was safe to do so. Been on a couple of years now and dont have any problems with them. I think most issues with panels is cheap ones from china sold by bodgit and scarper. Richard up the road runs Rotherham solar and he says buy quality get quality, he does buy panels from China but they are quality ones. This is my second boat that I have fitted solar to and I must like that winter battle of keeping batteries charged because I love being off grid

Peter

I have 3 x 125w panels and a tracer MPPT controller, panels fitted flat. I never run my engine between March and early October but usually have to in the winter. In December I rarely get more than a couple of amps, even on a sunny day. Still a good buy though!

You need to fix the panels in the right way......

I use a 3M tape that lets the panels move independent of the steel roof...

My panels have holes in them so you can screw/rivet fix them but as you say this is not a good idea...

The tape also gives an air gap under the panel to get rid of moist air & help stop rusting...

Never walk on panels no matter what ones you have......

I once saw a boat coming under a low bridge & he got it wrong & the racks of panels tore off the roof & were smashed in bits...

That was it for me flush mounting close to the roof is the only way & I wire mine in parallel not series so if some sod drops a brick on mine I may loose 1 panel but not the whole bank......

where did this happen? i have aluminum edged panels sat on top of boxs which are 9 inches high and i have been under some of the lowest bridges around including harecastle tunnel and never caught them once.

Yes, but the easiest way is to get two more 100w panels, the Tracer MPPT should be able to handle the bigger solar array no problem as it will self regulate to it's maximum output current.

cheers, Pete.

~smpt~

Is that true? Why do the Tracer specifications say Max PV input power Is 520w etc if it will self regulate more than that?

I notice you say "should" not "will" be able to handle..........

Nice diagram btw.

Is it not more advisable ( though more expensive) to buy another Tracer control and run say two separate 3 panel systems side by side?

Edited by jenevers

where did this happen? i have aluminum edged panels sat on top of boxs which are 9 inches high and i have been under some of the lowest bridges around including harecastle tunnel and never caught them once.

Hi the low bridge as you come down from the Oracle shopping centre in Reading....

I have seen solar panels ripped off & roof windows get smashed & torn off...

Also spoke to a guy that got to close to a tree & that took the lot off his roof ripping the ali' mountings from the panels & busting them....

I would think high winds could take it toll on the ones you can angle & I just thought I would fit more then I thought I needed so I could enjoy life not spend my days tilting my panels at the sun all day..... I felt my roof on a hot day & the side closest to the sun was hot & the other side was also hot?????? so I put panels on both sides & it seems to work for me......

Is that true? Why do the Tracer specifications say Max PV input power Is 520w etc if it will self regulate more than that?

I notice you say "should" not "will" be able to handle..........

Nice diagram btw.

Is it not more advisable ( though more expensive) to buy another Tracer control and run say two separate 3 panel systems side by side?

for the folks on a budget you can buy a cheap solar controller on ebay:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Solar-Charge-Controller-20A-Panel-Battery-Regulator-Safe-Protection-High-Quality-/121399443448?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item1c43f87ff8

& then connect this to a 12v Solenoid & screw it all to an old bit of ply or ali' if your posh.....

You connect the wires & for under £20 it should work not as good as a £500 unit but then you can fit 4 more panels with the £400 you just saved & that will charge better then the £500 unit anyway right?

I get it I know the boffin's love all the hi-tech stuff but I just like old school over kill that works....

My set up cost me £1200.00 for the panels & £80.00 for the controller & a day to stick the panels on the roof & wire up the batteries.....

The 4 200amp hour batteries cost £100 each trade.....

We run a fridge freezer, washing machine with dryer, HDTV, popcorn machine, lap top, I-pad, phone chargers, cooker hood, 2kw inverter that stays on 24/7 & so far I have not had that beeping sound from the inverter that we all hate so much.....

I have 3 x 125w panels and a tracer MPPT controller, panels fitted flat. I never run my engine between March and early October but usually have to in the winter. In December I rarely get more than a couple of amps, even on a sunny day. Still a good buy though!

I am surprise that you don't get more that 2A. Did you mean a couple of amps into the batter or a couple of amps from the panels. With an MPPT controller you can get a higher current into the battery than out of the panles.

I have 240Wp mounted flat and on a sunny day recently I got 13.5A at 14V into the batteries. I would have more panels but SWMBO does like to have flowers on the roof.

N

I am surprise that you don't get more that 2A. Did you mean a couple of amps into the batter or a couple of amps from the panels. With an MPPT controller you can get a higher current into the battery than out of the panles.

I have 240Wp mounted flat and on a sunny day recently I got 13.5A at 14V into the batteries. I would have more panels but SWMBO does like to have flowers on the roof.

N

Up to 20 amps at this time of the year, if the batteries are low and under load. Even today, barely a hint of sun, batteries full. In December, barely anything