My Solar set up works

Nige123

Featured Posts

Up to 20 amps at this time of the year, if the batteries are low and under load. Even today, barely a hint of sun, batteries full. In December, barely anything

Ah! I didn't read your post correctly. I missed the word "December"!

N

Is that true? Why do the Tracer specifications say Max PV input power Is 520w etc if it will self regulate more than that?

I notice you say "should" not "will" be able to handle..........

Nice diagram btw.

Is it not more advisable ( though more expensive) to buy another Tracer control and run say two separate 3 panel systems side by side?

Any MPPT should be able to self limit to the max current output, as they must measure current and limit the output to do the MPPT thing.

I s'pose from a support point of view it might cause some confusion to say the controller can handle a solar setup in excess of it's power capability. Midnite MPPTs specifically state this and I'm pretty sure a few forum members here have oversize arrays on a Tracer.

ISTR some MPPTs will briefly exceed their max output current by a modest amount when the load changes suddenly, so it may be worthwhile using a fuse size a bit above this value. So rather than use a fuse that's exactly the same as the max output current, go a size up.

cheers, Pete.

~smpt~

Edited by smileypete