Fitting new fire

seadog42uk

Featured Posts

I am about to fit a stove into our boat, can anyone give me any advice on which hearth to put the fire on and also how to fix it down.

regards

Stuart

Which stove are you fitting, some come with holes in the legs for bolts already.

We have not yet purchased the stove but I wanted to put the hearth and to tile the back and sides. What is the best material to use for the hearth?

A good cheap plan is to lay some builders polythene down in the position you want the hearth and then with shuttering boards of the height and size of the hearth and box the area to whatever shape you want and then screw a few long screws dotted about on the floor in the box sticking up a couple of inches. Pour in cement, a little ballast with it will reinforce it and level off to the shuttering level. The screws sticking up will hold the cement hearth in place. When set knock the shuttering away, make a nice hard wood surround a tile thickness higher than the cement base. Then tile to your choice.

Edited by bizzard
  • Greenie 1

A good cheap plan is to lay some builders polythene down in the position you want the hearth and then with shuttering boards of the height and size of the hearth and box the area to whatever shape you want and then screw a few long screws dotted about on the floor in the box sticking up a couple of inches. Pour in cement, a little ballast with it will reinforce it and level off to the shuttering level. The screws sticking up will hold the cement hearth in place. When set knock the shuttering away, make a nice hard wood surround a tile thickness higher than the cement base. Then tile to your choice.

My hearth is 100mm concrete formed and poured like you have said, possibly and most probably directly on top of the plywood floor and then tiled on top with slate tiles.

My stove isn't suitable for a 12mm thick hearth so does get very, very hot. I personally would fix 25mm fireboard down with a 25mm air gap then fix big screws through it into the plywood subfloor, sticking above the fireboard then pour at least 3 inches of concrete.

Alternatively buy a stove that's suitable for a 12mm thick hearth then choose some material at least 12mm thick, fixed directly to the floor.

Woodwarm stoves do 100mm leg height options which then keep the hearth requirements to 12mm apparently.

Jamescheers.gif

My hearth is 100mm concrete formed and poured like you have said, possibly and most probably directly on top of the plywood floor and then tiled on top with slate tiles.

My stove isn't suitable for a 12mm thick hearth so does get very, very hot. I personally would fix 25mm fireboard down with a 25mm air gap then fix big screws through it into the plywood subfloor, sticking above the fireboard then pour at least 3 inches of concrete.

Alternatively buy a stove that's suitable for a 12mm thick hearth then choose some material at least 12mm thick, fixed directly to the floor.

Woodwarm stoves do 100mm leg height options which then keep the hearth requirements to 12mm apparently.

Jamescheers.gif

what fire do you have fitted?

Beast of a fire James ;), supprised it gets so hot on the bottom, i have had a few fires, and the lower areas below the base plate level never gets to hot to need such thick nearth. Must belt the heat out.

A woodwarm fireview 4.5kw with backboiler. It's really well made and fantastic but did cost nearly £1000.00

Boat012_zps1ca2108d.jpg

woodwarm008-1.jpg

Jamescheers.gif

Have you told the steps not to catch fire, or are they deliberately done like that to maintain a required distance from the fire? When I put mine in, I also protected the steps with a piece of fireboard and tiled it.

Beast of a fire James wink.png, supprised it gets so hot on the bottom, i have had a few fires, and the lower areas below the base plate level never gets to hot to need such thick nearth. Must belt the heat out.

It is rated as a 4.5kw stove but when going full pelt with wood I would say it produces 6kw, or certainly more than it's quoted output. It's very controllable so can set the temperature nicely, but I do only ever wear a tee shirt and trousers before any-one asks in the winter.

http://www.woodwarmstoves.co.uk/products/discontinued-stoves/4kwfireview.ashx

Have you told the steps not to catch fire, or are they deliberately done like that to maintain a required distance from the fire? When I put mine in, I also protected the steps with a piece of fireboard and tiled it.

The steps are supposed to be further away from the fire but in the 2 winters they have been there they get warm but no sign of scorching. The biggest heat output is from the double glazed glass door and the top. The BSS Man was happy with the install and I have seen stoves on boats far nearer to wood.

Jamescheers.gif

Edited by canals are us?