CRT Moorings

StephenA

Featured Posts

We're currently mooring at Tom's Moorings in Market Drayton. On July 1st the lease on the moorings is reverting back to CRT so we're waiting to hear from them about what is going to be different.

How good are CRT at maintaining their moorings? The reason I ask is the jetty we're moored to is reaching the point that it needs rebuilding : one of the mooring studs (which we were moored to two weeks ago) has sheared off and someone kindly fastened our rope round the jetty and put the mooring stud on our back deck. Also at least one of the planks on the jetty is cracked (one has block of wood over it to stop you stepping on it). Are CRT likely to fix these issues (I know they wont dredge the moorings and we're pretty much sitting on the bottom) or are we better off looking for somewhere else to moor?

Edited by StephenA

I would think if they do the health and safety route then you will be all evicted a contractor will put in an inflated bill and redo the moorings then these will be put out to auction

then may get a good deal bid low .

If CRT have not got the sense to put up signs and advertise vacancies by area names then they will have lots empty.

I tried to find out about vacancies at Castleford what a mess their auction site is.

then may get a good deal bid low .

If CRT have not got the sense to put up signs and advertise vacancies by area names then they will have lots empty.

I tried to find out about vacancies at Castleford what a mess their auction site is.

It isn't possible to 'bid low' and 'get a good deal'... CRT set the reserve at 90% of the Guide Price.

So their moorings either rent for at least 90% of their arbitrary Guide Price, or they stay empty.

Edited by Mike the Boilerman

The odd thing is that the letter said that monies were being transferred to CRT and from now on we'd pay them direct. I think we're in the middle of our contract so who knows what is going on.

I doubt there is anything to stop you emailing the bid of 50%, but would it just get ignored?

Exactly what would happen.

CRT have explained the reserve price is set to reflect the cost to them of renting the mooring. If the 90% reserve is not reached, it is cheaper to CRT for the mooring to remain empty.

Sounds like b*ll*x at first but the logic is valid. Other boats on the same mooring would bid low otherwise then cancel their current mooring agreements in favour of the newly won, lower mooring rent, thus levering down the value of all the moorings on that stretch at renewal time.

So, perverse as it appears on the surface, the 90% reserve price makes good commercial sense.

I thought CRT were abandoning auctions for most moorings? Doesn't sound hopeful for getting your pontoon fixed, though unless they lease them out to another third party who chooses to improve the pontoons and then, no doubt, put the price up.

I would look around for a better mooring, myself.

We're currently mooring at Tom's Moorings in Market Drayton. On July 1st the lease on the moorings is reverting back to CRT so we're waiting to hear from them about what is going to be different.

How good are CRT at maintaining their moorings? The reason I ask is the jetty we're moored to is reaching the point that it needs rebuilding : one of the mooring studs (which we were moored to two weeks ago) has sheared off and someone kindly fastened our rope round the jetty and put the mooring stud on our back deck. Also at least one of the planks on the jetty is cracked (one has block of wood over it to stop you stepping on it). Are CRT likely to fix these issues (I know they wont dredge the moorings and we're pretty much sitting on the bottom) or are we better off looking for somewhere else to moor?

Why not just ask CRT ???

Are they?!

Where did you hear that? What will replace the auction system?

They published the results of a consultation recently, they will continue auction at prime spots but will revert to a "buy it now price" elsewhere .

Why not just ask CRT ???

Because I wanted to find out what the real experience was like not what they claim it will be like...

They published the results of a consultation recently, they will continue auction at prime spots but will revert to a "buy it now price" elsewhere .

Which makes a lot of sense - no point in going through the expense and hassle of auctioning things if there are say 50 moorings and 50 "customers"

Edited by StephenA

Because I wanted to find out what the real experience was like not what they claim it will be like...

Which makes a lot of sense - no point in going through the expense and hassle of auctioning things if there are say 50 moorings and 50 "customers"

There is though. What if all 50 customers what the same mooring not one of the other 49?

There is though. What if all 50 customers what the same mooring not one of the other 49?

Do you actually watch the mooring auctions and see how many never receive a bid? There are for example 3 in Gloucester at present all 60ft all with a reserve of £2,500 how many of those do you think will sell before the auction closes?

Do you actually watch the mooring auctions and see how many never receive a bid? There are for example 3 in Gloucester at present all 60ft all with a reserve of £2,500 how many of those do you think will sell before the auction closes?

But as soon as someone (cough cough) places a bid, more bidders miraculously appear and start a bidding war.(see Engineers Wharf bidding history for last 7 years)

(No IP addresses have ever been traced back to the local CRT office M'Ludninja.gif )

Exactly what would happen.

CRT have explained the reserve price is set to reflect the cost to them of renting the mooring. If the 90% reserve is not reached, it is cheaper to CRT for the mooring to remain empty.

Sounds like b*ll*x at first but the logic is valid. Other boats on the same mooring would bid low otherwise then cancel their current mooring agreements in favour of the newly won, lower mooring rent, thus levering down the value of all the moorings on that stretch at renewal time.

So, perverse as it appears on the surface, the 90% reserve price makes good commercial sense.

If the price is set hgher than anone is prepared to pay, the mooring remains unsold. An auction with no (or low) reserve allows the value of the mooring to be set by supply and demand. If the 90% reserve is not met, is that not an indication that the mooring is over priced?

Iain

If the price is set hgher than anone is prepared to pay, the mooring remains unsold. An auction with no (or low) reserve allows the value of the mooring to be set by supply and demand. If the 90% reserve is not met, is that not an indication that the mooring is over priced?

Iain

Or an indication that there is a preference to spend a fortune on enforcement

And CRT being CRT wrote to my brother (rather than the address Tom's Moorings had for us).

Their "directly managed moorings team" have taken over pro-tem.
They probably will let it to another independent operator
They are collecting info. Will take over water and electricity accounts and continue to supply them (and refuse collection they say, interestingly, and council tax(!)).
They'll honour existing arrangements until expiry and then offer CRT's standard rate per metre - to be announced but in line with local rate.
They'll investigate work to make unsound pontoons safe.
They'll visit next week and will keep us posted,.