New seal for my weed hatch

Featured Posts

I am sure Seals + Direct will sell you a piece of closed cell neoprene foam of that size or you could use strips of the same material. Midland Chandlers and many others sell self adhesive foam strip for this job. However I am not sure how the adhesive will stand up to constant wetting.

I am sure Seals + Direct will sell you a piece of closed cell neoprene foam of that size or you could use strips of the same material. Midland Chandlers and many others sell self adhesive foam strip for this job. However I am not sure how the adhesive will stand up to constant wetting.

That is what I used, and it sticks fine onto a painted surface, not so good on rust!! The weed hatch on our boat is quite deep and the upper plate never seems to get very wet.

B&Q, Wicks etc

Door mat, or Internal Carpet protector, Failing that and if you draw a blank, if you pm me I've got about a Mtr length of 25mm x 5 mm Rubber I would be happy to send you !

B&Q etc the mats are too thick

smile.png

Thanks for the offer, of sending but I need 33 cm wide or larger as I can cut it up.

Thanks anyway

smile.png

Very funny!

Mine is stuck in the hatch cover, others have it on the upstand of the hatch. Is there any reason for one over the other?

Hard to explain where it goes, in between the lid and the top of the hole.

Hope it makes sense.

I just need 33 cm x 43 cm it can be larger as I'll just cut it. About 2 mm thick rubber sheet

Edited by Laurie.Booth

Laurie ..... For seven years I've had a medium tube of silicon (Bathroom/Kitchen) which I've used to put a bead along the top of the upper plate before cranking the lid down.

Never let me down, takes up any unevenness due to pitting etc.and gives the current future ex Mrs Zenataomm something to peel off while I'm foraging.

If any one near you does HVAC work then they have suitable stuff a lot cheaper than chandlers.

Is that .....?

HVAC (heating, ventilating, and air conditioning; also heating, ventilation, and air conditioning) is the technology of indoor and vehicular environmental comfort. Its goal is to provide thermal comfort and acceptable indoor air quality.

Laurie ..... For seven years I've had a medium tube of silicon (Bathroom/Kitchen) which I've used to put a bead along the top of the upper plate before cranking the lid down.

Never let me down, takes up any unevenness due to pitting etc.and gives the current future ex Mrs Zenataomm something to peel off while I'm foraging.

Won't that just fall off with opening the hatch?

The weed hatch on our boat is quite deep and the upper plate never seems to get very wet.

The same applied to a boat I recently helped to move, in fact it is so deep that my arm isn't long enough from armpit to fingertip to reach the skeg at all but when the weed hatch didn't seal properly due to a slightly distorted flange it let in a frightening amount of water in just a couple of hours. I'm still partly in shock that so much water got in so quickly through such a small gap, but I learned to never underestimate a leak!

For seven years I've had a medium tube of silicon (Bathroom/Kitchen) which I've used to put a bead along the top of the upper plate before cranking the lid down.

I temp-fixed the leaky distorted weed hatch in a similar manner, but using stern tube grease applied in a thick layer with a 1/2" paintbrush. A bodge I'll admit, but it lasted the next 200 miles and got us home just fine and didn't need peeling every time the hatch was opened.

And do you stick it on the cover or the hatch and why?

Doesn't matter which, but I'd be tempted to stick it on the cover so that when the cover is lifted away, there's no chance of abrading it when you put your arm in etc.

B&Q etc the mats are too thick

smile.png

Thanks for the offer, of sending but I need 33 cm wide or larger as I can cut it up.

Thanks anyway

smile.png

Hard to explain where it goes, in between the lid and the top of the hole.

Hope it makes sense.

I just need 33 cm x 43 cm it can be larger as I'll just cut it. About 2 mm thick rubber sheet

It doesn't need to be a 33x43cm area it just needs to be a strip around the rim of the weedhatch, so long as there's no gaps etc here.

Won't it just stick the two together, rendering it useless?

Won't that just fall off with opening the hatch?

More likely you'd have to lever off the hatch with a lot of force! Leading to possibly bending something and definitely damaging the silicone and/or tearing the underlying paint away too, resulting in a leaky weedhatch.

Sorry Laurie, I know where the seal goes and why it is there. Mine is fitted to the underside of the weed hatch cover but I've seen it recommended that it is fitted on the edge of the upstand of the actual hatch. Is one any better than the other.

As to using a silicone seal, the other day I was reading how a boater had to chisel his hatch cover off after using silicone.

Laurie is on the BCN, he's in the weedhatch probably hourly.

Up to 4 times a day !!!

:(

Neoprene Sheets For Sale

My silicon thingy still does the trick though, yes of course I put a fresh bead on each time it's lifted, takes seconds, and I know it's fresh.

Thanks for the link

:)

Now on order from Argos of all people!!

I do use the weed hatch on every trip up to 4 times a day, the joys of the BCN

I can't find one, any chance of a link?

Lots on Ebay, as an example see below but there may be others that are cheaper.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEOPRENE-BLACK-SOLID-RUBBER-GENERAL-PURPOSE-SHEET-VARIOUS-SHEET-SIZES-THICKNESS-/251419428162?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&var=&hash=item3a89c40542

This is 3 mm thick. I think I used 5mm but then found I had to fettle the clamp to get enough clearance to fit it, better to check first.

I'm still partly in shock that so much water got in so quickly through such a small gap, but I learned to never underestimate a leak!

I got 3 x washing up bowls of water in 1 hour.

:(

Lots on Ebay, as an example see below but there may be others that are cheaper.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEOPRENE-BLACK-SOLID-RUBBER-GENERAL-PURPOSE-SHEET-VARIOUS-SHEET-SIZES-THICKNESS-/251419428162?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&var=&hash=item3a89c40542

This is 3 mm thick. I think I used 5mm but then found I had to fettle the clamp to get enough clearance to fit it, better to check first.

Thanks for the help and link.

Now all sorted and thanks to all that replied to my post.

This forum saved me again.