Insect bites

johnnie1uk

Featured Posts

Hi

we are still in the process of getting on the canal , but my wife has just started getting a reaction to insect bites, are biting insects a real nuisance in the summer months or are they managable.

will appreciate your feedback, thanks.

Hi,

Horse flies are a nuisance under trees, cover up as much as possible.

If bitten, Waspeeeze is a useful spray for minimizing the sting.

BBQ smoke and candles are useful in the evening and I indulge in a nice King Edward cigar when sitting out.

Spiders and their webs become the boaters' friend within the boat, especially around windows.

Canals are not too bad for insects in the evening, rivers are much worse, avoid leaving lights on inside the boat - oil lamps are are a good deterrent.

Good Luck.

L

Hi

we are still in the process of getting on the canal , but my wife has just started getting a reaction to insect bites, are biting insects a real nuisance in the summer months or are they managable.

I have found Avon skin so soft works really well to keep the bitey things away, this is not a joke:)

Seasonal horseflies are my worst enemy on the canal. They seem to like the humid, tree shaded glades. I have had my hand swell within minutes to the point that I could not make a fist or grip a windlass. On another occasion the swelling, redness and itching spread up my forearm. Apparently, it is best not to squash them as they then inject their last meal into your vein but I instinctively squash anything that tickles me.

Waspeeze etc. gives instant relief but you need an Antihistamine (Google antihistamine) ointment and/or pills to treat the longer term symptoms - ask your Pharmacist for advice.

Your wife could retreat into the cabin leaving you to run the gauntlet and swat these demon bloodsuckers. When I was younger I was immune to insect bites but repeated exposure seems to have induced a strong reaction. These annoying biters are common everywhere in the countryside, not only near canals and rivers. A horsefly bite may be uncomfortable but a tiny deer tick, common in grassland, may carry Lyme disease that can be fatal or, in any water, Weils disease carried by rodents.

Be careful in the countryside and if you need to visit your city-based GP tell them that you have been spending time in the countryside.

Alan

Edited by Alan Saunders

Hi

I have really bad reactions to insect bites, especially Mosquitos, which contrary to some beliefs, we do have in the UK. When going on foreign holidays I take antihistamines daily and they minimise the effects. Before I used them my reactions were so bad that I could hardly walk due to swellings caused by being bitten on the ankle. My GP told me that the reason for extreme reactions to insect bites is that some people's bodies produce too many histamines to fight the bite, therefore anti histamines do help. This explains why some people are affected by bites and some aren't. I used lavender oil abroad, as this is supposed to deter some biting insects as they don't like the smell. It works pretty well but the smell does get on your nerves a bit unless you like the scent of lavender.

As ours is a new boat only recently finished we have not spent any substantial time on it so far so it remains to be seen how I will be affected. A friend recently recommended Body Shop Sweet Lemon body cream, which she swears by to deter biting insects, so I have bought some to use on the boat as it smells much nicer than the Lavender oil. I have not tested it yet but will be tripping of soon so we shall see.

I hope this helps and I really empathise with your wife because I have had many a holiday nearly ruined by reactions to bites and the worst ones are around your ankles as they affect your ability to walk without being in extreme throbbing pain.

Hi

PS. After checking my reply I would like to make an amendment in anticipation of possible humorous remarks from some members. I intend to use the Sweet Lemon body stuff on myself, not the boat. It's the pedant in me, I can't help it.

With regard to the Avon skin so soft, tried this in the past (quite some time ago) and it seemed to work - however, was under the impression that it was the 'original' which had the reputation for insect repellant and that it is no longer available? Does any know if this is the case?

With regard to the Avon skin so soft, tried this in the past (quite some time ago) and it seemed to work - however, was under the impression that it was the 'original' which had the reputation for insect repellant and that it is no longer available? Does any know if this is the case?

Still available, I have a new bottle right now waiting for the summer

I get ridiculous allergic reactions to insect bites (often involving being a hospital in-patient), but have found that Boots own brand repellent (the cream in the silvery tube) containing Deet is brilliant at repelling them. I slather it on twice a day and have no problems. Would thoroughly recommend it.

I agree with SueH - a daily antihistamine is also a good preventative measure.

Jungle Formula works for me, contains Deet I believe which is the magic stuff.

Phil

This.

Used it on the boat, In Florida, using it now in France.

Very hard to beat....,

Edited by MJG

Phil

Agree with this. Jungle Formula is 50% DEET and is the recommended stuff for mosquito and other insects in exotic parts of the world. Plus cover up preferably with light colours. I find insects particularly mossies go for ankles and feet, I presume theres easy to get at blood there,so make sure you spray there or cover.

Hi,

Horse flies are a nuisance under trees, cover up as much as possible.

If bitten, Waspeeeze is a useful spray for minimizing the sting.

BBQ smoke and candles are useful in the evening and I indulge in a nice King Edward cigar when sitting out.

Spiders and their webs become the boaters' friend within the boat, especially around windows.

Canals are not too bad for insects in the evening, rivers are much worse, avoid leaving lights on inside the boat - oil lamps are are a good deterrent.

Good Luck.

L

The worst place I have found is the Little Ouse towards the end.

Recommend vitamin B1 as a repellent , seems to make me less attractive to the flying , biting bugs . Take one tablet daily in the biting season . Also citronella and a anti histamine . Bunny

Agree with this. Jungle Formula is 50% DEET and is the recommended stuff for mosquito and other insects in exotic parts of the world. Plus cover up preferably with light colours. I find insects particularly mossies go for ankles and feet, I presume theres easy to get at blood there,so make sure you spray there or cover.

I'm allergic to DEET. Brings me up in blisters.

Marmite and Guinness are much more enjoyable mossie repellents.

(Eat/drink, of course. Do not smear on skin!)

I'm allergic to DEET. Brings me up in blisters.

Marmite and Guinness are much more enjoyable mossie repellents.

(Eat/drink, of course. Do not smear on skin!)

Marmite surely only works on 50% some like it some hate it .

I heard eating Garlic was also good not heard the guiness one .Luckily I do not have the problem but my Father and one sister where both magnets for them.

Recommend vitamin B1 as a repellent , seems to make me less attractive to the flying , biting bugs . Take one tablet daily in the biting season . Also citronella and a anti histamine . Bunny

Vitamin B1, that's yeast isn't it?

Mmmm beer for medicinal purposes. I like that :)

Phil

yep, deet is the stuff. i used to get covered in bites, something in me really got em raging. it all virtually stopped 10 year back after i quit smoking