Enforcement on the Bridgewater

DeanS

Featured Posts

Moving the boat makes most sense. First and most important consideration is the place you live.

NIM is idyllic most of the time...and once all the construction is over, might be a goldmine...something like a Clarence Dock mooring in Leeds.... the marina will soon have restaurants, cinema, a Morrisons beside it, as well as new homes, a school etc..... although the jury is out if this is going to mean more noise, more litter, more late night summer parties, more late night shouting, more mothers swearing at their darlings...etc . 80% of the time, it's lovely, especially through winter ice and snow...a safe haven......

I will continue to try and get some sort of Bridgewater cruising licence........

NIM is idyllic most of the time...and once all the construction is over, might be a goldmine...something like a Clarence Dock mooring in Leeds.... the marina will soon have restaurants, cinema, a Morrisons beside it, as well as new homes, a school etc..... although the jury is out if this is going to mean more noise, more litter, more late night summer parties, more late night shouting, more mothers swearing at their darlings...etc . 80% of the time, it's lovely, especially through winter ice and snow...a safe haven......

I will continue to try and get some sort of Bridgewater cruising licence........

Unless some form of ethnic cleansing takes place I can't help feeling that the local population might still stay feral at least until they are priced out of the area as has happened elsewhere.

Cheers

Gareth

This (new?) "no return for a month" thing worries me slightly. The Bridgewater is an important transit route; if I spend a couple of days on it on my way from the T&M to the L&L, does that mean I now can't come back the othe way for a month?

This (new?) "no return for a month" thing worries me slightly. The Bridgewater is an important transit route; if I spend a couple of days on it on my way from the T&M to the L&L, does that mean I now can't come back the othe way for a month?

They haven't published it on their website.....so it still only says...7 consecutive days....so I still don't know if this is official information, or just an enforcement guy wanting to keep a purple boat off their canal....he could have just asked me to repaint it....;-) I'd love to know what they tell you if you phone up and ask...

I may have a solution to our entire summer cruising problem......I've just discovered that if I go up the Rochdale...above lock 63 for safety.......which is only a 6hr 18-lock journey, easily done in a day....I can catch a train for £3.30 from Mills Hill station back to Manch for work....and if I keep cruising up to Castleton, there's a station there as well...so direct links in to work.....and some nice towpath areas.....

Would anyone worry about leaving their boat between locks 63 and 55 or thereabouts on it's own once in a while.

Does anyone know where the nearest winding point would be for a 57ft widebeam...?

Unless some form of ethnic cleansing takes place I can't help feeling that the local population might still stay feral at least until they are priced out of the area as has happened elsewhere.

Cheers

Gareth

Nice to see you're up to your usual standard of nastiness.

Cheers

Gareth

Nice to see you're up to your usual standard of nastiness.

Cheers

Gareth

You seem to want to be me! That's quite funny!!

Edited to add...by ethnic I was including all races just in case anyone wanted to take that the wrong way too!

Cheers

The real Gareth

Edited by frangar

I have been on the Bridgewater 4 days and have had a knock on the boat twice in 2 different locations, Lymm+ Moore village. I intended to go to the weaver for 2 weeks then return to Wigan. I was told by the enforcement officer No return within 1 month so I would need a 7 day licence at £40 or get a £200 fine. Think it might be Because I have solar panels and look like a live aboard ;-)

You seem to want to be me! That's quite funny!!

Edited to add...by ethnic I was including all races just in case anyone wanted to take that the wrong way too!

Cheers

The real Gareth

No trust me Gareth, I'd rather have my nipples pierced with a rusty nail than live in your head for one second.

I have been on the Bridgewater 4 days and have had a knock on the boat twice in 2 different locations, Lymm+ Moore village. I intended to go to the weaver for 2 weeks then return to Wigan. I was told by the enforcement officer No return within 1 month so I would need a 7 day licence at £40 or get a £200 fine. Think it might be Because I have solar panels and look like a live aboard ;-)

I honestly thought they were just targeting me....Castlefield is still full of boats...but good for them if they can stay under the radar....Peel knows they're there...on a waiting list I think.....I sent a mail to Peel asking if I was also on the waiting list, but got no response.

I think it's time somebody took this up with CRT. The 7 days only rule was to allow boats to transit the Briidgewater, if you can only transit it every 28 days then what use is that to most people? I think the no return for 28 days is a made rule to address the issue of CRT overstayer (and there are some) with no consideration for the legitimate transit users. Anyone doing what Exfire is planning now has to pay a £40 charge to get their boat home or go over the Pennines and back.

As usual it's easier to punish everyone than go after the guilty. Couldn't CRT be asked to sort out how their customers are supposed to get round this without being made to pay.

K

Well this is my third day on the Bridgewater...and my second in Lymm and I'm still waiting for the knock! Beginning to feel left out!

Cheers

Gareth

Does your boat look like a liveaboard (solar panels, trolley on the roof, a few wood logs....gennie etc). Although I live in a marina, I definately look like a liveaboard.

was it the same guy

(and I was told it was a £250 fine :)

Does your boat look like a liveaboard (solar panels, trolley on the roof, a few wood logs....gennie etc). Although I live in a marina, I definately look like a liveaboard.

I really hope not! Lovely clear roof and decks & shiny paint & brass...well it would be if the ducks stopped crapping on it!!...although the RBOA sticker may give the game away that we live aboard.

I am sat here running my engine tho! Haven't still seen anyone...will let you know if I do.

Cheers

Gareth

I really hope not! Lovely clear roof and decks & shiny paint & brass...well it would be if the ducks stopped crapping on it!!...although the RBOA sticker may give the game away that we live aboard.

I am sat here running my engine tho! Haven't still seen anyone...will let you know if I do.

Cheers

Gareth

I think they're targetting liveaboards more than others, but just a theory.

It can't be long now before you've been sat at Rochdale bottom lock for 14 days. wacko.png

Yes very true, but once I've done the Rochdale 11 back to my marina mooring, I'm not sure how long I have to wait there before I can come back down the Rochdale 11 and moor again for 14 days. Any idea?

although.......it looks like I'm going to give it a go next week, and shoot up the Rochdale past lock 63 for a bit of an exploratory cruise, to see...

1. If a widebeam can get there without water probs.

2. How long our water/toilets last (have 1000litres and 3 casettes)

Might not need the Bridgewater after all...they have horses and sheep up there....which will be nice to see :

Going further afield sounds a better plan Dean.

I burn about £40 of petrol a week to get to work, most of that goes to keeping our MP'S in the style they are accustomed to :)

I could move closer to work but the town our factory is situated in is a sh!te hole!

Edited by gazza

Dean, are your kids still at school? If they are commuting from further afield is likely to be a bit more problematic - not to mention expensive!

I had an 8 mile journey on the school bus, luckily our LEA issued a bus pass so it didn't cost anything at the time.

I was known to miss it now and again - my dad left for work at the same time I queued for the bus..... :)

Yes Dean same guy, told him I had had a change of plans and was heading back, I am moored at Leigh tonight, just need the CaRT guy to log me here so I can prove I did not overstay lol

I think they're targetting liveaboards more than others, but just a theory.

Yes very true, but once I've done the Rochdale 11 back to my marina mooring, I'm not sure how long I have to wait there before I can come back down the Rochdale 11 and moor again for 14 days. Any idea?

although.......it looks like I'm going to give it a go next week, and shoot up the Rochdale past lock 63 for a bit of an exploratory cruise, to see...

1. If a widebeam can get there without water probs.

2. How long our water/toilets last (have 1000litres and 3 casettes)

Might not need the Bridgewater after all...they have horses and sheep up there....which will be nice to see :

Bad news. There's no Elsan before Littleborough according to C&RT boating guides. 3 cassettes won't be enough for any period of time.

That's quite a community you've got going now at the bottom of the Rochdale. Spotted from the tram. Are all four of you banned from the Bridgewater?

Bad news. There's no Elsan before Littleborough according to C&RT boating guides. 3 cassettes won't be enough for any period of time.

That's quite a community you've got going now at the bottom of the Rochdale. Spotted from the tram. Are all four of you banned from the Bridgewater?

Take a shovel.

Or spade be better.

Edited by valrene9600