Rain Sheds

mark99

Featured Posts

That'll do - but will it stay up in a gale?

Oh yes it does. It's moored in Yorkshire and we get lots of gales up ere. It's biggest problem is that it acts as a sail. That's okay as long as the wind is blowing the way you want to go.

Tam

Does pete's film still exist. I enjoyed doing the lime juice with Andy and would love to see the filom for od times sake.

Carl

It does, but I only have a 3rd? generation DVD copy which is slowly degrading further. Pete's original 16mm film accidently fetched up in New Zealand for several years but did eventually turn up again. I was supposed to edit it and put sound track on, but so many other things intervened and I never got suitable editing software to do anything with it. The companies I used to use for professional editing and transfer from film to DVD all slowly disappeared as modern software allowed people to do it them selves (after a fashion unsure.png )

It really does merit some serious attention before it degrades too much further. I know there are people on CWDF who could probably make a good professional job of it, and now we are less busy perhaps I should do something about it as it is a good record of the nitty-gritty of boating in the 70s.

Im making meself a rain shed, its nigh on impossible to smoke in the rain whilst steering.

Years ago, I was on a course. The swimming instructor used to light a fag, use his lips to turn it inside his mouth, dive in, swim a length underwater, then jump out and continue smoking.

Easier than building a rain shed?

George ex nb Alton retired

Must have been a former dormitory smoker!

Reminds me of a stage performer in I think the fifties (American) who would light up to 40 cigarettes and perform a similar trick. He's dead now.

Sadly, so is the swimming instructor.

George ex nb Alton retired

I love the term "rain shed." :) When I put the (previously named ) pram hood up, I can tell critics that it is in fact a "rain shed" and dates back to the traditional working boats. I even have a video clip and photographic evidence now.

Another meaning for a "rain" shed could be interpreted as shelter and whilst the discussion has raised some examples, has anybody thought about Horse Shelters where an overhead covering offered some protection for the boat horses. They existed on the BCN, one at Ryders Green comes to mind.

Ray Shill

I love the term "rain shed." :) When I put the (previously named ) pram hood up, I can tell critics that it is in fact a "rain shed" and dates back to the traditional working boats. I even have a video clip and photographic evidence now.

Well, in that case it wouldn't be the first thing named after an old thing that actually looks nothing like the original.

"Josher bows" and "Northwich traders" spring to mind.

In post 28 Tam said "It really does merit some serious attention before it degrades too much further. I know there are people on CWDF who could probably make a good professional job of it, and now we are less busy perhaps I should do something about it as it is a good record of the nitty-gritty of boating in the 70s."

Is there anyone on the forum that could clean up this DVD? I suspect a film of the Lime Juice run in the seventies from Brentford to Boxmoor would be of interest to many people, having done this for a couple of years I would like to see it.

Tam, if there are no offers I will give it a go.

Carl

I've had a couple of offers Carl, but what I'd really like to do is work from the original 16mm film Pete made and add voice-over and soundtrack to turn it into a decent end product. I think it needs for me to have a bit more time available as starters though.

Tam

Well, in that case it wouldn't be the first thing named after an old thing that actually looks nothing like the original.

"Josher bows" and "Northwich traders" spring to mind.

But surely if working boats had continued, the rain sheds would have evolved, just as the working boats themselves would have done? For example; Does a wagon of 2015 resemble a wagon of 1920? Still a wagon though, just as my rain shed is still a rain shed, though it has evolved somewhat.

Edited by Guest

Manchester HAS to be rain shed Mecca. Local boaters seem to travel with an erection whatever the weather...

Perhaps I should have phrased that better!

Yes came through yesterday, and ours was the only rain shed that wasn't erect (story of my life.)