Disused Property Bulbourne

mark99

Featured Posts

Hi,

Originally, I think it was the Manager of the Bulbourne Works house, it was occupied for years on a rental basis, the last tenants kept the house and particularly the gardens in good condition. They vacated the property in 2001 (approx) and it has remained empty since.

I think BW took a decision not to re-let it and now it would take a lot of work to make it habitable. It's a real shame.

BW/CaRT can't seem to make their minds up what to do with the Bulbourne Works and still occupy some buildings, a large building is occupied by a metal worker (how did he get planning consent for the long sign along the listed building?).

The site used as a set for Midsummer Murders a few years ago.

Edited by LEO

As Leo days used to be a lovely house, think it was deliberately left empty whilst BW attempted to get planning permission for housing. Used to be interesting walking around the yard on the odd open day.

This was a shot taken a few weeks back.

The house is actually deeper than it's width so it's a very substantial property. Must be worth a tidy sum.

20150421_141911_resized_zpsudjw7yme.jpg

Edited by mark99

The issues seem to be in part with access, as the property is at the far end of the yard and access is only available by driving the length of the former BW yard. Needs a lot of work, and has been broken into several times. Great shame. There were plans mooted at one time to turn the whole site into a bar restaurant. Such a pity it cannot be used for what it was designed for. Although the metal worker is keeping up tradition to an extent. Used to be as neat as a pin once, with manicured lawns and aviaries along the offside - and of course the carpenters shop. The track and turntable are still there (I think).

I like the larger property that sits on the Wendover entrance (opp. the covered dock). Also looking at the offside lock cottage access looks problematic.

Hi,

The one overlooking the side ponds and dry dock is a typical, well proportioned GU building which may still belong to CaRT and featured in the Bargee (I think).

The off side lock cottage does have access across the lock and was on the market some time ago. Interesting article in local paper a few months back, as one of the supermarkets who offer a delivery service, refused to deliver to this cottage due to access problems.

It was originally sold by BW in 1992 when they had a couple of big 'firestorm' auction sales of properties.

Mike.

Edited by LEO

Hi,

The one overlooking the side ponds and dry dock is a typical, well proportioned GU building which may still belong to CaRT and featured in the Bargee (I think).

Certainly is.

20150422_090219_resized_zpshcbrrh2y.jpg

BW/CaRT can't seem to make their minds up what to do with the Bulbourne Works and still occupy some buildings, a large building is occupied by a metal worker (how did he get planning consent for the long sign along the listed building?).

I wonder too. However, there is a big advantage in having a large working forge in the building. When I needed to straighten out my rudder a few years ago, the blacksmith sorted it out for me in no time.

I've always fancied that. It has an EOG mooring on the Wendover arm too.

Hi,

It does have good EOG moorings - a short clip taken about 1992 shows TaiPan for sale on the moorings, plus a bit by the top lock (I think the dry dock was 'To Let') and a quick tour of Marsworth (Derek Pearson, fender maker's boat is there), plus the start of a party at New Mills - (good vid. lots of boats to pick out and some boaters in non PC outfits...................perhaps more later).

https://youtu.be/CSvANn3QtLM

L

Edited by LEO