Bridgewater Canal visitors

b0atman

Featured Posts

Is it true that Peel holdings are asking and checking length of stay of visiting boats ?

There's a new man 'on the ground' now, so it's entirely possible.

He was (I'm told) rather over-officious with someone I know who was on the Bridgewater within the time limit for visiting boats.

Tim

The previous man was a very personable friendly fellow. We gave him a lift down the canal a couple of times from one patch to another. Apparently Peel Holdings didn't want him to use a bike because at the time there was a no cycling rule on Bridgewater tow paths. All changed now.

The previous man was a very personable friendly fellow. We gave him a lift down the canal a couple of times from one patch to another. Apparently Peel Holdings didn't want him to use a bike because at the time there was a no cycling rule on Bridgewater tow paths. All changed now.

Although the No Cycling signs are still present on virtually every bridge.

George ex nb Alton retired

Although the No Cycling signs are still present on virtually every bridge.

A lot of the bridges now have new signs. Where the towpath has recently been upgraded the signs show that it is shared between cyclists and pedestrians.

Steve

There is now an enforcement officer and "We will clamp down on unauthorised Canal and River Trust over stayers" according to a letter that came with my new licence.

K

Perhaps Peel Holdings need to keep up.

I last went the length of the Bridgewater on 11th April and most of the bridges had no cycling signs attached.

One week before me so they must have worked fast because what I pocked up on was signs at some of the bridges advising cyclists to dismount I thought there must have been a changed because before the signs said no cycling can confirm if all the signs have been changed or removed.

One week before me so they must have worked fast because what I pocked up on was signs at some of the bridges advising cyclists to dismount I thought there must have been a changed because before the signs said no cycling can confirm if all the signs have been changed or removed.

SOME may have had signs saying dismount but MOST had signs saying no cycling.

frusty.gif

Cycling is now permitted throughout the Bridgewater APART from through Warrington. Warrington Council have refused to stump up any money and as Peel don't spend any of their own money and rely on others paying on their behalf, the stretch from Cheshire (Bay Malton) to Halton (Daresbury I believe) will continue to be a bike-less mudpit :)

Edited to add...

There are lots of rumours floating about at the moment, the latest one being that the reciprocal agreement is to be scrapped for CRT boats on the Bridgewater, which if course will affect Bridgewater boats on CRT waters.

This is reported to be a sledge hammer approach to stop CRT over stayers.

If this change goes ahead, any boat will need to be Bridgewater licensed, either with a 12 months licence (which requires a mooring) or with a short term 7 day licence costing £40.

There are lots of rumours floating about at the moment, the latest one being that the reciprocal agreement is to be scrapped for CRT boats on the Bridgewater [...] to stop CRT over stayers.

I knew that DeanS was causing trouble. All that hiding from CRT by nipping up the Bridgewater, and look what happens!

These home moorers who go out in their boats have a lot to answer for.

There are lots of rumours floating about at the moment, the latest one being that the reciprocal agreement is to be scrapped for CRT boats on the Bridgewater, which if course will affect Bridgewater boats on CRT waters.

In the world of Peel Holdings/Bridgewater Canal, when does a rumour become an actual rule/legislation/byelaw/whatever is enforceable by their management?

Paul, apologies but don't fully understand your question if that's what it is?

Rumours are rumours and shouldbe taken with a pinch of salt in my opinion :)

What I mean is: if Peel holdings did make slight (or large) variations in its various rules and regulations, how would the average boater who has tootled along the T&M, L&L or Rochdale necessarily know, either in advance or when they approach the border? Unlike, for example, the Warwickshire Avon which has manned locks at its borders with CRT waterways, it would be too costly to "man" the border, and with no locks, difficult to stop a boat simply making progress along the canal etc.

This would be bad. Nothing good has come of similar shenanigans between the EA and the Cam Conservators out in the fens.

MP.

Ah I see,

The obvious one would be information signs at Leigh, Castlefield and Preston Brook.

Where do you put the Preston Brook sign? Dangle it from a gantry over the tunnel portal?

rolleyes.gif

If the reciprocal agreement is going to be scrapped then there's got to ve some communication between the two.

The sign could be reversible, and so could kill two birds...

On the other hand the BCC notice could be placed at the junction.