Another request for opinions please

grannykins

Featured Posts

I know it might seem a daft question but how much do you have, to spend on a boat? "This Way Up" could be a basically sound boat, or it could have a number of issues requiring, say, £10,000 to sort out etc you can't tell from the pics and description.

As you asked (my opinions)

1) Too expensive

2) No solid fuel fire

3) Can only have central heating when the Jet Engine is running (Webasto)

4) Water tank way, way too small

5) Pump-out toilet (a big no no for me)

6) I would rather buy a boat that needed overplating and ensure it was done properly, than buy one that's already done to an unknown standard.

7) View the survey from 2013 - why was a survey done then ?

8) No calorifier ?

9) Diesel tank tiny.

10) The back doors appear to be lying in the lounge.

Tankage is significant particularly for a liveaboard,

My boat is a 'leisure' boat and has a 550 litre water tank This one (as a liveaboard) has a 200 litre tank.

My boat has a 250 litre fuel tank, This one has a 120 litre fuel tank - and - as well as the engine you will be running the heating and hot water from that small fuel tank.

I would suggest that there are more suitable liveaboard boats than this one for £30k+

As a novice's point of view ...

I'd avoid that style of window, IMO they would tend to be quite cold during the winter months - others with more experience might tell you different

It looks like a very user friendly live a board layout, having what looks like a good sized dining area away from the saloon and with the stove in the middle of the boat should offer well distributed heat during the winter months

I'd be looking to have some high level cupboards or shelving installed in the galley for sure & the loo looks quite similar to what we have on board as our "emergency loo" for when and if the pump out ever breaks down.

1) Too expensive

2) No solid fuel fire

3) Can only have central heating when the Jet Engine is running (Webasto)

4) Water tank way, way too small

5) Pump-out toilet (a big no no for me)

6) I would rather buy a boat that needed overplating and ensure it was done properly, than buy one that's already done to an unknown standard.

7) View the survey from 2013 - why was a survey done then ?

8) No calorifier ?

9) Diesel tank tiny.

10) The back doors appear to be lying in the lounge.

Tankage is significant particularly for a liveaboard,

My boat is a 'leisure' boat and has a 550 litre water tank This one (as a liveaboard) has a 200 litre tank.

My boat has a 250 litre fuel tank, This one has a 120 litre fuel tank - and - as well as the engine you will be running the heating and hot water from that small fuel tank.

I would suggest that there are more suitable liveaboard boats than this one for £30k+

Small point Alan - but it's advertized as having a cassette loo not a pump out; but when looking at the pics, it looks to me to be a Very basic and small standard Thethford style loo. Looks the same as the one we keep in the engine bay in case our pump out ever fails us

ahhh - never mind, just seen your most recent post :)

Edited by Bettie Boo

Apologies - I clicked the link and it took me to a boat called "Monty".

No wonder I cannot see the solid fuel stove you mention !!

Try again.

Thanks for looking. The link takes you to the top of the page. You have to scroll down to find 'This Way Up'

Initially we'd have about 30,000, but would have a couple of years to do work before actually moving on to live aboard. Thought about offering £25,000. I'd already decided I would replace the windows Betty :)

Ok - now I have looked at the 'right' boat :

1) Too expensive for its age

2) I would rather buy a boat that needed overplating and ensure it was done properly, than buy one that's already done to an unknown standard. Has a surveyor 'signed off' the work.

3) Do you want an air cooled engine ?

4) I think you will find a younger boat at that sort of price (£30k) A 32 year old boat will have ongoing 'issues'.

Much better as a liveaboard than the 'other' one.

Questions to ask

Is it a cassette toilet - it looks like a porta-potty in the pictures?

Is there a battery charger ?

Thanks for looking. The link takes you to the top of the page. You have to scroll down to find 'This Way Up'

Initially we'd have about 30,000, but would have a couple of years to do work before actually moving on to live aboard. Thought about offering £25,000. I'd already decided I would replace the windows Betty smile.png

If I may suggest a few thoughts: that boat is well over-priced, and too old. Personally boats with lots of windows put me off as they are often too cold in the winter and too hot in the summer, and people do seem to love staring in more than seems reasonable. Portholes, while limiting light to some extent, don't have the above faults, and are more secure.

With the budget you have, try looking at boats that are as new as possible, perhaps around 55ft long, and a bit over budget, as we all ask more than we know we are going to get!

Water cooled engines give "free" hot water while you are cruising, or moored up somewhere without near neighbours.

There should be lots of boats around the price, built less than 20 years ago, so keep looking and good luck.

Love Great Haywoods tag line "own your own home for <insert ridiculous asking price here>". Pillocks.

Everytime I phoned up Great Haywoods to enquire about boats I got told the one I wanted to view was sold, and given examples of ones about my quoted price range to look at instead. We never ended up going there to view anything, but it happened more than once.

The length could be va problem if you want northern canals. Other than that I'd say the price leaves room for negociation.

A couple of peeps have mentioned the length now everyone is different but I firmly believe as a liveaboard of many years standing that each extra foot makes life comfier on a narrowbeam boat. I have owned 42/56/57/65/68 and 70 foot boats all as full time liveaboard. The present boat is 68 and has the greatest interior space of these even more than the 70 footer had and it makes life comfier. There are drawbacks obviously running costs are higher though not significantly and no you cannot do such as the L and L and one or too others but 90 percent is still doable as of course is the north to south bit not doable on a comfy widebeam.

THere are boats out there that will suit your needs. Not being nosey but do you have cash in yer hand? If you do that boat will come for 25k maximum and probably somewhat less.

You are not going to get everything on your wishlist for 30k but trust me when I say your wish list and needs will change over the years as with everything in life.

I do not in anyway want to detract from any advice given by any other posters but listen more carefuly to full time liveaboards especialy those who have twenty or more winters under their belts when it comes to buying for living on. weekending and ocasional 6 months cruising are far from being a liveaboard.

Tim

Thanks for all the replies.

The loo didn't worry us- its the same as the one we use on our little cruiser-, as we will probably install a composter (yes, I know not everyones choice, but decision made after research).

I dont mind portholes in the bedroom, but actually prefer windows for the rest.

We didnt notice the air cooled engine - will go and have a look at the implications of that.

Lengthwise, we're looking for anything from 55' to 68'. I've marked the places we couldnt go with a longer boat, on the canal map, and there's actually not that many.

We didnt think about a battery charger either.

So glad there are experienced people on here to advise.

Great Haywood always put that stupid line - I've seen it on ads for 20ft Springers :)

Gosh, two more replies whilst I have been typing.

Do we have cash? - hoping that something planed is going to come together. If it does, then yes we will. If it doesnt, then its back to waiting till the end of 2016 to buy our narrowboat. Would be much better if we could buy it now, then have almost 2yrs to get it sorted before we live on board permanently.

We know there will be compromises, and are fully prepared for them -- I hope :)