Injectors need a service?

Featured Posts

I'd be grateful for any comments on the following diagnosis.

The last few times I have started the Mitsubishi 4 cyl engine (after 2 weeks in the Fenland icy blasts) it has started first time, after 45 seconds of the heaters. But it runs a little rough for about 30 seconds, sounding as though one of the cylinders is missing, with white smoke coming out of the exhaust.

Then suddenly after about 30 seconds I guess something gets hot & it starts running smoothly and the white smoke disappears. All is fine for the rest of the day (including when the engine was restarted after lunch etc).

I reckon I need to get the injectors serviced / reconditioned. This was last done 10 years ago. The engine is 20 years old.

I'd be grateful for any thoughts. I am somewhat risk averse at present, as I do not want it to conk out in the middle of the Wash, where I hope to go in May.

Edited by Scholar Gypsy

Injectors give long service in a vehicle and used daily but in a cold wet boat with maybe a bit of water in the fuel then after 10 years or so then yes, probably time to get them tested.

If you are getting white smoke, your injectors are atomising fuel nicely

After 30 seconds, one of your cylinders is starting to fire properly

I'd recommend you get someone to check your engine out professionally before you go on the Wash (not me)

Richard

45 secs on the heaters?? It's possible that the heater plugs and or their wiring needs seeing to, especially as one cylinder is late in chiming in. Does the engine burn much oil? After you change the oil and filter does the oil in a very short time contaminate and go black? If it does neither of these two things I'd say the pistons, rings and bores are ok, but that does not rule out compression loss through valve seats not seating properly (valve tappet clearance) or valve seats burnt and letting by.

It sounds like you may have a heater plug gone as biz said, take them out one at a time put power to each one and see if it glows red.

Neil.

Agreed, sounds more like heater plugs than injectors.

45 secs sounds a bit long for Mitsubishi plugs anyway, I think they recommend limiting heater time to rather less than that (because they may be damaged if used for too long?)

Tim

Agreed, sounds more like heater plugs than injectors.

45 secs sounds a bit long for Mitsubishi plugs anyway, I think they recommend limiting heater time to rather less than that (because they may be damaged if used for too long?)

Tim

Thanks all - I think I probably was exaggerating a bit with 45 seconds, it just feels that long.

Although I don't feel brave enough to take the injectors out, I think I might have a go with the heaters, even though that was not covered in my one day RYA course. I am sure I can find a video on youtube somewhere.... (Neither was changing the thermostat, but that went fine....).

Thanks all - I think I probably was exaggerating a bit with 45 seconds, it just feels that long.

Although I don't feel brave enough to take the injectors out, I think I might have a go with the heaters, even though that was not covered in my one day RYA course. I am sure I can find a video on youtube somewhere.... (Neither was changing the thermostat, but that went fine....).

with the advent of instant photography, I always take a few digi pics or a short film as i strip down things I,m uncertain of, that way you can reference back at any time during the putting back together stage,has saved my bacon on more than one occasion

• 3 weeks later...

Well, I had a go at sorting out the glowplugs today (inspired by this thread from Karen Lea Rainey).

Of course the problem when starting did not recur - maybe as the weather was rather warmer?

So I took out all four glow plugs, testing them using a variety of techniques (4), and all passed. To get them back in and seated firmly, I had to remove the rocker cover.

I decided to replace the three link cables, as they looked a bit thin and the spade connectors at each end a bit feeble. I suspect I won't know until next winter whether the problem is solved. I will buy some spare glow plugs in the meantime (neither of the two motor factors I tried today stocked them ...).

Well, I had a go at sorting out the glowplugs today (inspired by this thread from Karen Lea Rainey).

Of course the problem when starting did not recur - maybe as the weather was rather warmer?

So I took out all four glow plugs, testing them using a variety of techniques (4), and all passed. To get them back in and seated firmly, I had to remove the rocker cover.

I decided to replace the three link cables, as they looked a bit thin and the spade connectors at each end a bit feeble. I suspect I won't know until next winter whether the problem is solved. I will buy some spare glow plugs in the meantime (neither of the two motor factors I tried today stocked them ...).

Well that's good as I dont think injectors are temperature dependant