Quality of Coal

Martin Megson

Featured Posts

Is there any standard to the coal brands?

I recently bought a few bags of Supertherm from a marina and it was absolutely rubbish. Difficult to light, not much heat and massive amounts of orange ash. Then bought a couple of bags of Excel, first time I've tried it and when I opened it the coal was damp with quite a few wet leaves in it. Called into another marina a couple of days ago and all they had was Excel. Said I didn't want it as it was rubbish. They were surprised and offered to open a bag. Looked completely different to the bags I had before so I took it and it burns great with very little ash. I've not had a problem until this month but it seems that not all coal does what it says on the bag.

we only use Supertherm and I know that there has been threads on here before about this issue. The red/orange ash is brick dust. We too have had the odd bag (we only use one supplier though) that is rubbish. I have noticed that this latest bag we have, the coal nuts are a different shape than usual but has been burning quite hot. I do find that the bags with the orange/red dust doesnt burn or produce much heat but at £12.00 plus a bag, its not funny to open one that doesnt produce the heat you need.

All these coals are usually stored in open air staithes, ''It always has been'', therefore it all gets wet when it rains. If the merchant is doing a weighing and bagging session when the coal is wet it'll remain wet wunce the bags are sealed. Leaves and twigs in the coal bags mean that the staithe was almost empty and the front loader machine just scrapes along and picks up everything and dumps it on the conveyor to the weighing and bagging area. If wet spread it out in the open air before using.

Used to use SuperTherm but found it was inconsistent and produced lots of ash so didn't stay in well. using PureGlow now but still find variances in the bags. It has been reported that the bonding agent wasn't doing its job and so nuggets were breaking up more than usual. Many a time bags are found to have wet coal n them, be it because its stored in th open and the damaged bag lets rain in or the coal was wet when bagged

Used to use SuperTherm but found it was inconsistent and produced lots of ash so didn't stay in well. using PureGlow now but still find variances in the bags. It has been reported that the bonding agent wasn't doing its job and so nuggets were breaking up more than usual. Many a time bags are found to have wet coal n them, be it because its stored in th open and the damaged bag lets rain in or the coal was wet when bagged

Almost certainly wet when bagged especially if bagged in the winter.

I had been using Supertherm for the last 3 years but changed to Excel a few months ago due to excessive ash... Now it's briliant, hot coals with little ash. My mates have also done the same and there's an added bonus as its cheaper.

We have been using Excel most of this season, bought from several different suppliers as we cruise. We have had some wet bags but that may be due to storage on the roof and tears in the bags. All of it seem the same good quality.

Our last purchase was Winterblaze. The only alternative was Supertherm which we didn't like last time we used it. The Winterblaze is not smokeless but stays in well and gives a lot of heat when the stove is opened up. Much more ash than Excel though.

I prefer excel but at the moment I am using Stoveglow £11:50 25kg very low ash and burns well

Some bags have some larger nuggets in and last one has had scraps of coal mixed in .

Thanks for the comments. Looks like I've just got a couple of bags that were filled from the bottom of the heap. I normally use stoveglow but the last couple of stops didn't supply it. I'm liking the latest bags of Excel which seems to burn quite hot.

I have burnt mostly wildfire which isn't smokeless but I find it very good and quite cheap at £9.50 for a 25kg bag.

I have occasionally bought the 3 for 2 offer at £15 from B&Q for home fire when I don't want to go on a 15 mile round trip to go to the coal merchant. Found the home fire good. Tried a bag of excel, didn't like it as much as wildfire or home fire.

James

We normally use either Newheat or Excel at home or on the boat. They are basically the same but the ovoids are larger with newheat (100g) than Excel (75g)

If you want to look at what types are available have a look at this site.

http://www.coalmerchantsfederation.co.uk/products/smokeless-ovoids