Freestanding cookers

Foss62

Featured Posts

Probably been asked a thousand times ,im after a new gas cooker,found an indesit at a good price and is a bit smaller than the lump i currently have.Are there any rules to think about before i buy it,it is LPG convertible.

Sorry if its not a good topic .captain.gif

Russ

Others will, no doubt, know more on this subject, but as far as i am aware the same rules apply as to installing one at home.

I must be made immovable, usually at home with a chain,fixed to the cooker and the wall behind, but on board i would fit a bar on the floor at the front, so as to prevent it moving forward at all.

Most free standing cookers come in standard sizes, can you not find one the same size to replace your old one?

Nipper

Kris

Has a device that cuts gas if flame goes out if that's what you mean,redoing kitchen on ex hire and old cooker is original I think from 93 so needs replacing

Yes that's the one, most new lpg cookers have it, and as the other poster has stated it needs to fixed down. If you search this forum you'll find much more detailed info.

Regards kris

Just bought an Indesit cooker from Tesco Direct, £275 free delivery. Already converted, 500 wide by 600 deep. Comes with chain but I agree probably sensible to fit a floor bar. Very pleased works well

That sounds a good price for an Indecent cooker.

This ones 500 wide so bit more space and only £195 delivered,comes with the lpg jets so a good price...now got to buy the kitchen as well.may have a problem with the batteries but that's another post....did find the fridge was wired off a 30 amp fuse which I don't understand,maybe it's meant to be

Not a double oven but oven and grill.

New World NW55TWlg

55cm wide

We have had ours 9 months now and its great got it from

http://www.deals4u.co.uk/new-world-nw55twlg-55cm-lpg-gas-cooker-in-black.html#product_tabs_description_tabbed

What's the grill like? Our first New World cooker (1991) had a wonderful grill. Its replacement (2011) didn't.

What's the grill like? Our first New World cooker (1991) had a wonderful grill. Its replacement (2011) didn't.

Just asked DLW what the grill is like and I got a one word answer

Excellent

It does toast very evenly (toast is the limit of my cooking)

• 1 month later...

Most of kitchen in now and cooker in place,nice cooker for the money,had to put it on opposite side to the gas which is a pain,I can get a pipe from the gas bottles to it through a pipe already there ...can I use rubber calor gas hose instead of copper,I can buy it in any length,should do the same job I think....hopefully taking her out Sunday for first time

• Greenie 1

Don't forget to decide what sort of ignition you want which will be affected by the wiring you have. 12v ignition, 240v ignition or battery (I went for battery because it's easy)

Also check if you decide for a 240v ignition cooker, that there's nothing else on the cooker that runs off 240v because that will be an unnecessary drain on your batteries. Some of the gas cookers I looked at last year included 240v powered timer clocks and some sort of fans (not fan assisted ovens, though - different thing) which you only realise when you look at the spec in great detail.

I found the AO website very useful comparing different makes and models.

Most of kitchen in now and cooker in place,nice cooker for the money,had to put it on opposite side to the gas which is a pain,I can get a pipe from the gas bottles to it through a pipe already there ...can I use rubber calor gas hose instead of copper,I can buy it in any length,should do the same job I think....hopefully taking her out Sunday for first time

Whoops - just read your update. Too late :P Hope your cooker's fab :)

Rubber gas pipe cannot be more than one metre long.

Check with the BSS regs for more information.

If in doubt get a correctly qualified tradesman in.

Bod

Flame failure safety device, if it's new it should have them.

Regards kris

Wrong.

There is no obligation on manufacturers to fit flame supervision on hotplate rings and grills, despite widespread uninformed opinion.

This popular opinion originates from the requirement for cookers in flats and/or buildings in multiple occupation to have flame supervision on all burners. Consequently most new cookers have this anyway in order to allow them to be fitted anywhere, and those suitable for conversion to LPG are also consequently suitable for boats.

But there are still cookers on the market without. These can only be fitted in single household buildings.

(Edit to expand on my initial comment.)

Edited by Mike the Boilerman

Flame failure safety device, if it's new it should have them.

Regards kris

Wrong.

There is no obligation on manufacturers to fir flame supervision on hotplate rings and grills, despite common rumour.

Possible misunderstanding here?

Kris actually means "if you are fitting a new cooker it must have them", rather than "any new cooker will have them"?

Just guessing, but, if so, you could both be right!