Battery disposal

ROBDEN

Featured Posts

Hi.

What do you do with your old batteries?

I used to take the old car batteries to the scrappy and get a couple of quid.

Do they still do that?

Any in the Nantwich area?

On my last boat, when I replaced the batt's I left them at the (then BW) waste bins and they were gone by the next morning.

Thanks for any advice.

Rob....

I got a fiver each from the local scrap merchants last year. I have noticed that those left near CRT waste bins rarely stay more than 24hrs so I suspect someone (boater?) has found an easy way of making a couple of quid.

You now need to register an account at the scrapyard and the money is credited to your bank account. It's illegal to pay out cash.

You'll need photo ID, a utility bill or similar to prove your address and your bank details.

Took me 10 mins and then I got about £37 for 4 no 110Ah batteries.

Otherwise leave them at a local authority tip that has battery disposal facilities, but then they get the money!

I think I've found one in Nantwich.

New batteries arriving Tuesday so will post the results later next week.

Thanks Rob....

There is one near the Sainsbury's roundabout. Don't know how much they give. Or there is Hoosons in Crewe which give about £10 for a 25kg 110.

When you buy a battery, isn't there a disposal charge already set into the purchase price? As with car tyres. At least here (Finland) that's how it's done, that you must pay for the acceptable environmentally-friendly way of disposal first, to ensure you can't skip it later by eg. chucking it into the canal. Of course, they all end up in the landfill dump anyway for future generations to enjoy.

Does London still put its rubbish on barges that go out of the Thames, to be tilted over the side into the North Sea?

One good thing here is that bottles have deposits and I'd bet 99.9% are recycled. Glass gets used again, plastic & cans get shredded. In the UK it seems that bottles and cans are just left in the hedges.

Also here, milk and juice comes in cardboard cartons which can be burnt (keeps house warm) - in the UK, everything is in plastic containers? Seems like a waste of oil.

• 1 month later...