Viewing two boats this weekend!

Lmcgrath87

Featured Posts

Yes, ours are called nappy pins too. Can cause confusion when some of the grandchildren are crewing.

Do you think i could swap the port for bourbon?

Do you not like whisky? Bourbon is good for flavouring casks so that they are fit for decent malt.

You may find that the boat comes with a full equipment inventory (ours had seven windlasses) but the thing we found we were lacking was a decent padlock.

Yes, ours are called nappy pins too. Can cause confusion when some of the grandchildren are crewing.

Do you not like whisky? Bourbon is good for flavouring casks so that they are fit for decent malt.

You may find that the boat comes with a full equipment inventory (ours had seven windlasses) but the thing we found we were lacking was a decent padlock.

No cause i don't think smokey flavour the peat adds to malts, I have a sweet tooth.

I think it comes with nearly all the equipment - there is a list floating in my inbox somewhere. I shall have to check it thoroughly.

Edited by Lmcgrath87

?????

JUST ARRIVED AND AVAILABLE TO VIEW NOW - NARROWBOAT, IDEAL LIVEABOARD - 46ft - A really good 46ft narrowboat built by South West Durham Steelcraft and Droitwich Boat Builders in 1997, Boat Safety Certificate until February 2018, cruiser stern with covers and a good cratch cover at the bow, multi-fuel stove in the saloon and diesel fired central heating to radiators throughout ensure all year round warmth, hot water from calorifier, lovely 4 cylinder modern Lister keel-cooled diesel engine for cruising economy and good spares availability, shorepower connection, 12 volt & 240 volt sockets throughout, Sterling inverter, 12 volt fridge, gas oven and hob, lovely galley with great storage, beautiful fit-out with solid Ash, all ready to go and will make a great liveaboard, pied-a-terre or weekend / holiday cruiser superb value

A couple of things re the engine.

Listers Canal Star range included the LPW direct injection and the LPWS indirect injection both are decent enough power units but the LPWS variant needs regular oil changes with the right type of oil or they have a reputation for premature wear. IIRC I think the oil change intervals are about 100 hours. Hopefully the surveyor is aware of this but it would be reassuring to see a nice service history even if it's a newish engine.

The other thing is - does anyone know what happened to Lister Petter, I though they went into receivership last year?

Listers Canal Star range included the LPW direct injection and the LPWS indirect injection both are decent enough power units but the LPWS variant needs regular oil changes with the right type of oil or they have a reputation for premature wear. IIRC I think the oil change intervals are about 100 hours. Hopefully the surveyor is aware of this but it would be reassuring to see a nice service history even if it's a newish engine.

The other thing is - does anyone know what happened to Lister Petter, I though they went into receivership last year?

thanks for that - I really am clueless about engines. It was serviced last year, I'll hopefully be able to get dates/paper trail for that.

No- just have both and a few others cheers.gif . Great news that you've found a boat- keep the updates coming

hahah okay then! thanks, it's all very exciting, just keep my fingers crossed nothing's amiss now.

We prefer using goat chains to those. The goat chains wont jump off the rail!

I'm with you on this one - I love our goat chains, and much quieter than the nappie pins. A boat moored near us when we were in MK and they used the nappie pins - banged all night long :(

There must be a lot of people who don't know how to use them then!

It's pretty hard to get mooring with goat chains wrong.

Yeah, I know what you mean. Ideally one would carry both, to cope with different styles of piling. There's a few places where the illustrated nappy pin can't fit onto the Armco. We have an alternate shape of nappy pin too (bizarrely, our boat had tons of cruising gear on it when we bought it) and I think we have some goat chains too. Just never seem to use them though.

Yeah, I know what you mean. Ideally one would carry both, to cope with different styles of piling. There's a few places where the illustrated nappy pin can't fit onto the Armco. We have an alternate shape of nappy pin too (bizarrely, our boat had tons of cruising gear on it when we bought it) and I think we have some goat chains too. Just never seem to use them though.

We use our chains quite a lot. We gave our nappy pins away as we just never used them. Between the chains and the mooring pins we have not come across anywhere we couldn't moor just yet.

Yup - we have an LPWS4 and its every 100 hours

For us that is every three weeks when out cruising.

Make sure you get the correct oil filters - there are apparently 4 different ones that "fit" the LPWS4. I ordered from a Lister agent and they sent the wrong one - 1st one - the screw thread was too big, they replaced it with a tiny, tiny (almost a flat pancake) filter that was too small, eventually got he correct one on the third try. I was sat with the oil drained out, unable to run the engine for a week.

The filter for ours is Lister part number 751-12870 (or the Fleetguard equivalent is LF3826

You will need 6 litres of 'old spec' 10W40 oil (I think it is CC grade, called Qualube Series 1) cost about £23 per oil change

Air filter is Lister part number P366-07188

We are toddling off for a trip up the Llangollen in a week or three and will change the oil twice during the cruise, and then again when we get home.

They are not economical engines - we will use about 400 litres of diesel and 18 litres of oil.

I'm not just a pretty face, you see!

(some might say not even...)

Found it - tracked down and posted by Southern Star. She has the typical bomb-proof-looking bows of South West Durham boats which is a good start.

Nappy pins won't jump off the rail either, if they're used properly!

Could you explain how to use nappy pins 'properly' please? I've never figured out how to make them 100% secure and twice I've returned to my boat and found one jumped off the piling. As a result I no longer dare use them.

Mine came with no instructions for use and I can't figure out a way to make them totally secure so I have concluded they simply aren't safe to use. I'd be most grateful if you could explain how to use them please.

Many thanks,

MtB