Viewing two boats this weekend!

Lmcgrath87

Featured Posts

oh have fun! It would be amazing if one of these boats was perfect - they are so close to home, it would make moving a little less stressful!

L, that is exciting news for you. Would you be able to post any links or details of said craft on here, so that we can pick great big 'oles in them offer comments/ opinions?

haha! I was thinking of posting the links AFTER i had been so they haven't been torn to pieces before I go see them.

But! They are both under 20 years old, So no big old shipwrecks this time around I hope!

Spoilsport.

By no means all comments on your previous fancies have been negative - and some of those which were were intended to save you thrashing out lots of money on something that you might regret sooner rather than later!

PS see other recent thread: a "shipwreck" is correctly called a "potential ideal liveaboard". I can remember my first househunting days circa 1989, and seeing several shipwrecks; the estatese for these was "intriguing property".

Spoilsport.

By no means all comments on your previous fancies have been negative - and some of those which were were intended to save you thrashing out lots of money on something that you might regret sooner rather than later!

PS see other recent thread: a "shipwreck" is correctly called a "potential ideal liveaboard". I can remember my first househunting days circa 1989, and seeing several shipwrecks; the estatese for these was "intriguing property".

:-) no, I know, and I really appreciate all the comments, both positive and negative. I don't actually have photos of one of the boats as it has just become available, but I'll get some tomorrow.

I will post a link to one that we love the look of, with the aim to get up north at the end of the month to view however (although mostly to go to the Black Country Living Museum....just haven't told hubs that part yet)

http://www.ashwoodmarina.co.uk/images/reflections.pdf

Edited by Lmcgrath87

:-) no, I know, and I really appreciate all the comments, both positive and negative. I don't actually have photos of one of the boats as it has just become available, but I'll get some tomorrow.

I will post a link to one that we love the look of, with the aim to get up north at the end of the month to view however (although mostly to go to the Black Country Living Museum....just haven't told hubs that part yet)

http://www.ashwoodmarina.co.uk/images/reflections.pdf

It's a very strange cabin, from the pictures. Looks very tall and no tumblehome

I noticed that too. The spec does mention 6'3" interior headroom.

Only 45 feet long, same as ours, but the use of internal space is good and she appears well finished and in good order. The walk through bathroom and cross bed are useful space savers. The engine, though exact model not specified, is a good make. Perhaps not a huge amount of storage (wardrobe looks tichy) but L. says that she does not mind that.

Minus points: lack of tumblehome (L, I think this was explained in a previous post, it means that the cabin sides are very vertical) could mean clouting narrow bridges, but OK if there are no narrow bridges where you are. Note that radiators are installed but that the diesel central heating boiler to drive them is not. Also, no external photo of pointy end; is there something odd about it?

Boat is 22 years old; new reduced price looks reasonable to me (though if broker expected quick sale as he says in the shitsheet, why a reduction?), what does the team think?

I noticed that too. The spec does mention 6'3" interior headroom.

Only 45 feet long, same as ours, but the use of internal space is good and she appears well finished and in good order. The walk through bathroom and cross bed are useful space savers. The engine, though exact model not specified, is a good make. Perhaps not a huge amount of storage (wardrobe looks tichy) but L. says that she does not mind that.

Minus points: lack of tumblehome (L, I think this was explained in a previous post, it means that the cabin sides are very vertical) could mean clouting narrow bridges, but OK if there are no narrow bridges where you are. Note that radiators are installed but that the diesel central heating boiler to drive them is not. Also, no external photo of pointy end; is there something odd about it?

Boat is 22 years old; new reduced price looks reasonable to me (though if broker expected quick sale as he says in the shitsheet, why a reduction?), what does the team think?

ohhh I am learning! Yep picked up that the central heating was not yet installed (nor is radiator in bedroom but pipework there) but as it's below budget we can add this.

I hadn't caught on about the sides, something to bear in mind thanks :-)

I hope they don't get a quick sell - I want to atleast get to go see it!

More suitable than the last one though i hope?

Edited by Lmcgrath87

I'm feeling the wanting to be aboard in this weather, I've decided to set off today get the worrying bit over today and enjoy the first night on the boat tonight. Good luck with your viewings :-)

Don't forget some kindling, firelighters and coal :) I remember my first night on the boat - it was a January, and could I get the blooming fire lit? damp wood, damp kindling, no coal... Couldn't figure out how to turn the gas boiler on, so froze.. not a good start!

For info - light a firelighter, put 6 or so pieces of kindling around / over it in a hashtag type shape, then 5 or 6 bits of coal gently on top of that, CLOSE the door to the stove, and open all the air vents. it'll light nicely, and when the coal is glowing nice and hot, you can pile more on top. If it doesn't fire up straight away, put another firelighters on top and light that, and it'll work.

Avoid cheap coal - use something decent like Taybrite, Superthem, Homefire Ovals (my current fave), Phurnacite or Ecoal50.

Have a good first day - the Trent is quite calm, suns out.. wish I could be out today. Go slowly, and learn how the boat moves.. you'll find it pivots about a point about a third way down from the boat. Takes a while to not oversteer and over correct and zig-zag - the boat will have a bit of a lag between you asking it to do stuff and it responding. It'll have its own pace, and you just have to work at that pace.

You'll hear loads of odd noises in the boat.. this is normal! Look for Starcoaster's brilliant thread somewhere on here about things that change when you start to live on a boat - its totally true!!!

Make sure you stand in the shower when you view it, and pull the curtain round you.

I agree with the others that from the outside it looks like there is no tumblehome, but that interior shot of the shower looks like there is loads. I think you said your hubby was tall and showering is one of the things you will do most on the boat. Don't underestimate how annoying an uncomfortable shower will get. Also make sure that with the curtain pulled around it makes a decent seal both ends, i was forever mopping up puddles of water after i showered on my last boat.

Edited to add:

I'd also rip that stove out and put a better one in with a glass panel. Not a deal breaker but you can budget for it.

Our first share boat had slightly more tumblehome than that boat and was moored not far from the Braunston tunnel. The result was that whenever the boat met another boat coming g the other way, the starboard front corner of the roof got its paint ground off.

brilliant tip Junior - in our last flat the shower was fixed all the wall basically at his chest height - I didn't notice being the size of a hobbit, but it made life for him difficult.

edit - fat fingers = lots of typos

Edited by Lmcgrath87

Good points, Jr. Adding a shower compartment would be a boon - as would proper front steps instead of that free-standing little stool thingy at the fore end of the cabin, which could topple over (taking you with it) if you were going from the front deck to the cabin in a hurry.

Strange that no steel thicknesses are listed, and that the builder isn't known. I wonder, from looking at the shape, if she is a Springer Tug - compare the boat Rivendale on sale at Bates' Boatyard, in which case it may be that the brokers know what she is but they don't want to mention the name Springer which can (unfairly) put some people off. I could of course be totally wrong, it's just an idea which I had.

Why would a Springer put someone off? I've seen the name but not really read much into them.

Sam Springer, a Cockney engineer and apparently a bit of a Del Boy character, started building them in Market Harborough in the '60s.They were turned out in great numbers from '69 to '94, were cheaper than most boats and were responsible for getting hundreds of people on to the water. The name nowadays can evoke the same reaction as "Skoda" did in the car world up to a few years ago, with its implication of shoddy and badly made. Many people think of them as budget liveaboards which are knackered and which may well exude an aroma of marijuana.

I like them and in fact owned one until recently. There are some bloomin' scruffy ones about but there are some beauts too. Most of them can be recognised by their splashboards on top of the bow which look like a moustache (have a wee Googlie and you'll see what I mean), but the so-called "Tug" design looks a bit more like a "normal" narrowboat. Reflections COULD be one.

If hubby is tall, make sure you test out the length of the cross-bed. No space to dangle your toes off the end with a crossbed!

Another boat in your range is coming up for sale - BeckyJC who is rarely on this forum is selling MuddyWaters imminently. Excellent self-sufficient liveaboard and a nice homey boat. We had many travelling adventures together.

Because they were budget boats built with thin, but high quality steel (reputedly recycled gasometers). I'm not sure that Springer were still in business in 1993 though.

Yes, last ones left the factory in 1994.

If hubby is tall, make sure you test out the length of the cross-bed. No space to dangle your toes off the end with a crossbed!

Another boat in your range is coming up for sale - BeckyJC who is rarely on this forum is selling MuddyWaters imminently. Excellent self-sufficient liveaboard and a nice homey boat. We had many travelling adventures together.

yes - we were discussing his need to do that. Should of picked a shorted husband really.

Ooo thats interesting - do you have any more details at all?

Interesting about the springers -there is one on my watch list on AD, but I think it's too old to really be a contender.

Interesting about the springers -there is one on my watch list on AD, but I think it's too old to really be a contender.

Much depends on how they have been maintained - I saw one sold last year, which I think the couple had owned from new, and it was quite immaculate inside and out. Out of interest, which of the 30 or so listed on Appalling Duck is it?

Thanks Athy, weren't the last couple of years production built by his brother-in-law, rather than Sam himself?

Sorry Mods if this is turning into The History Channel!

Sam retired in 1983 and sold the business to P.J. Smith who, I think, was his son-in-law. That was the date at which the original slightly peaked transom design was replaced by a semicircular shaped stern, and the roof became less abrupt in shape too. That was known as the Springer Samson, and the Tug and the little Waterbug designs followed shortly after.

From that date it gets a bit confused. I think that at one point Mrs. P.J. Smith did her Girl Power bit, sent P.J. packing and ran the firm herself. Alas Sam did not enjoy a long retirement and died in about 1985.

Edited by Athy