Viewing two boats this weekend!

Lmcgrath87

Featured Posts

Paying deposit tomorrow. Eeeekkk. I am so excited.

Anyone nearby wanna show us how everything works?! :-)

Is the deposit subject to survey? If so, then please bear in mind that there is no standardised agreement on what the criteria for getting a refund of deposit are. For example, if the boat has been vaguely described and the surveyor reveals £5000 of welding required, are you going to be able to pull out, or will the seller agree to have that work done (would you still want it???), knock £5k off the price, or knock £0 off the price, saying "price already reflects condion mate, where's the rest of my money".

Is the deposit subject to survey? If so, then please bear in mind that there is no standardised agreement on what the criteria for getting a refund of deposit are. For example, if the boat has been vaguely described and the surveyor reveals £5000 of welding required, are you going to be able to pull out, or will the seller agree to have that work done (would you still want it???), knock £5k off the price, or knock £0 off the price, saying "price already reflects condion mate, where's the rest of my money".

This will be in the small print on the back of the contract. I bought my boat on brokerage from Aqueduct Marina and the contract clearly stated that it could be voided if the survey showed up any safety issues. The survey flagged up a perished rubber gas pipe, and although it only cost £30 to have it replaced, including labour, this was a safety issue and I could have pulled out from the deal on the strength of that alone, had I wanted to.

We got showed how everything works (literally everything!) but it was such a blur of me just thinking 'i need to own this boat' that I definitely didn't take it all in.

But, I did learn so much! Seeing everything I read put into practise was so amazing.

Subject to survey, where will this boat be kept? And will you be entering the BCN challenge?

We got showed how everything works (literally everything!) but it was such a blur of me just thinking 'i need to own this boat' that I definitely didn't take it all in.

But, I did learn so much! Seeing everything I read put into practise was so amazing.

Subject to survey, where will this boat be kept? And will you be entering the BCN challenge?

That's perhaps another reason to go and have another look at the boat and have another good look around it before paying your deposit. Spend some time on it.

Make sure that your heart is not ruling your head.

That's perhaps another reason to go and have another look at the boat and have another good look around it before paying your deposit. Spend some time on it.

It's definitely not - having seen so many boats recently we know we've found the right one. But good advice all round from everyone thank you :-)

It's definitely not - having seen so many boats recently we know we've found the right one. But good advice all round from everyone thank you :-)

Don't worry, everyone eventually has that feeling, you know when its the right boat etc. Are you having a survey?

The BCN is the Birmingham Canal Navigations, a network of formerly industrial canals in and around that city. The challenge is an annual event in which boat crews try to cover the greatest distance along those canals (some of which are little used). Several CWF members take part in it and will be able to tell you more than I can.

I like "Heading for Reading"; because it's Boring in Goring and you're Fed up with Thrupp?

Edited by Athy

This is good advice, but if we let our heads rule our hearts, no one would ever buy a boat, Shirley?

The BCN is the Birmingham Canal Navigations, a network of formerly industrial canals in and around that city. The challenge is an annual event in which boat crews try to cover the greatest distance along those canals (some of which are little used). Several CWF members take part in it and will be able to tell you more than I can.

I like "Heading for Reading"; because it's Boring in Goring and you're Fed up with Thrupp?

ahh I see! Well we won't be doing that quite yet, but hopefully in a few years we'll be heading up North on a more permanent basis!

This is good advice, but if we let our heads rule our hearts, no one would ever buy a boat, Shirley?

Indeed.

We set out to buy a Viking 20 and ended up with a Sealine S23. rolleyes.gif

We have never regretted it but do sometimes look back and wonder how we ended up with something quite so different to what we intended to buy. It has proven to be the right choice for us as we could never have been where we have with the Viking.

What we've gone for is totally different style/size everything to what we thought we wanted when we first started this journey (nearly a year ago!) I'm confident with our choice, fingers crossed everything goes well.

What else do i need to be thinking about - insurance/licence - anything else?

What we've gone for is totally different style/size everything to what we thought we wanted when we first started this journey (nearly a year ago!) I'm confident with our choice, fingers crossed everything goes well.

What else do i need to be thinking about - insurance/licence - anything else?

Mooring....?

RCR?????

I don't know how much experience you had, but.........training...?

Very happy for you - I remember the feeling and level of excitement quite clearly :)

Not sure of your level of narrow boat knowledge, but if like us you are complete novices I would suggest a survey is a very good idea IMO - it's no guarantee, but it does give you that piece of mind that it's a sound vessel you'll be buying

First things first, if she doesn't already have a BSS you'll need to get that sorted before you get your license or insurance, you may also want to look into RCR (break down cover)

Then before your first cruse you'll want a boat pole / hook and a life ring if the boat didn't come with one.

If like us, we had never been at the helm of a narrow boat before buying, get a friend or someone from CWDF to take you out on your first cruise or take a helmsman course.

We had a couple of very knowledgeable members from the forum volunteer to take us out on our first trip and were able to pick up enough knowledge and canal etiquette to take her out on our own for short little trips around the Braunston area; then before we left the marina for good, Dave completed a helmsman course which included locks and we haven't looked back since :)

Hope you enjoy your new life choice as much as we do - again congratulations cheers.gif

Mooring....?

RCR?????

I don't know how much experience you had, but.........training...?

It's a while ago, but I seem to remember that the McGraths have already secured a mooring.

L., some of the leading boat insurers advertise in the monthly boatimags (I assume that you read these). I have personal experience of Collidge & Partners (good and pleasant) and GJW (moaned a bit when I made a claim but paid up!). Others are available.

RCR, mentioned by Paul, is River & Canal Rescue who are like an AA or RAC for the waterways. If you break down they guarantee to get you going again. They do NOT cover domestic problems such as a faulty oven. We have been members for a number of years and have been pleased with them on the occasions that we've needed them.

Edited by Athy

Before a long trip you will want to check what equipment you have onboard and what you might need to bring. Things like mooring pins, a mallet, enough suitable ropes, tools, spares, a tunnel light, a working horn etc etc seem obvious when you need them (!) but can be missed when you're new.

Mooring pins (and nappy pins are handy)

Anti vandal key

BW watermate key

Ropes

Tools

Spares and kit

Working tunnel light

Working horn

Lock key (windlass) - at least one, preferably two or three!

Kettle, mugs, tea, milk

Beer

Wine

Port

Waterproofs and hats

Torch/headtorch

Camera

Maps/Nicholsons

Bottle opener

Coal + firelighters

Others will think of other things :D So exciting!

Before a long trip you will want to check what equipment you have onboard and what you might need to bring. Things like mooring pins, a mallet, enough suitable ropes, tools, spares, a tunnel light, a working horn etc etc seem obvious when you need them (!) but can be missed when you're new.

Mooring pins (and nappy pins are handy)

Anti vandal key

BW watermate key

Ropes

Tools

Spares and kit

Working tunnel light

Working horn

Lock key (windlass) - at least one, preferably two or three!

Kettle, mugs, tea, milk

Beer

Wine

Port

Waterproofs and hats

Torch/headtorch

Camera

Maps/Nicholsons

Bottle opener

Coal + firelighters

Others will think of other things biggrin.png So exciting!

PORT???

L., do not be alarmed by the reference to "nappy pins"; these are steel items which enable you to moor up to the side of a canal without hammering in mooring stakes. They work on sections of canal whose sides are lined with metal strips rather like the Armco on a motorway. I do not know the correct name for them (on the good ship Trojan they are referred to as "grommets" but this certainly is not their official name).

L., do not be alarmed by the reference to "nappy pins"; these are steel items which enable you to moor up to the side of a canal without hammering in mooring stakes. They work on sections of canal whose sides are lined with metal strips rather like the Armco on a motorway. I do not know the correct name for them (on the good ship Trojan they are referred to as "grommets" but this certainly is not their official name).

Nappy pin:

AS-039_DetailEnlarge.jpg

http://www.midlandchandlers.co.uk/Catalogue/ProductDetail/mooring-hook-safety-pin-walsh?productID=61a45e15-1421-47a7-abd9-5b69b62c0037&catalogueLevelItemID=e4cbe6bd-9deb-49e3-b562-43f6d958e7d0

PORT???

Do you think i could swap the port for bourbon?