Setting of early in the day

weeble

Featured Posts

Can somebody remind me why demountable tillers are necessary? I have a wooden bit in the last foot which would break off if challenged though it never is, but what's the need for the rest to be removable?

On a trad stern its so that when you are tied up it isn't in the way of the cabin entrance.

Can somebody remind me why demountable tillers are necessary? I have a wooden bit in the last foot which would break off if challenged though it never is, but what's the need for the rest to be removable?

So when you have finished boating you take the tiller off and this lets others know you are not in a queue.

Working boatmen often took the tillers off in a lock so the tiller wouldn't jamb against the wall if it swung to one side.

ETA didn't read Pete Harrison's better explanation.

Edited by Ray T

So when you have finished boating you take the tiller off and this lets others know you are not in a queue.

Working boatmen often took the tillers off in a lock so the tiller wouldn't jamb against the wall if it swung to one side.

You also have to swing the rudder to 90 degrees to the boat and reverse back to the cill to get the gates open when going downhill if you have a full length boat on some locks, like the BCN, so if the tiller bar isn't remove able you can't do this.

An old boater once told me to take off my tiller arm when tied up. If not, he said, the end could be wiped off it by a passing boat, if the your tiller was hard over.

Does YOUR tiller arm extend beyond the extremities of your boat?

My boat hasn't got a tiller arm and steers perfectly well without one. I hope it doesn't cause confusion in queues.

I'm a hirer and my way of setting off in the morning (regardless of when) is turn the engine only as soon as i am ready to move. Engine is only for the few minutes it takes for the crew to untie the ropes and put them away. And i always turn the engine off at any opportunity.

Also, more relevant to hirers on a a schedule, why rush off in the morning? Sit outside and have breakfast and watch the fog evaporate and wildlife wake up!

Edited by Cruising Mike

What a bunch of clucking old women some of you are (with apologies to any actual old women reading...). You don't have to follow that suggestion so it is no big deal. What the item does achieve is to hopefully make people consider their actions and how they might affect other people - in other words, encouraging a considerate attitude when boating. This is a good thing..END OF.

Yes. Use commonsense and be considerate at all times.

Um you take the tiller bar off at the end of the day and when single handing up narrow locks, if you don't and it's the right length you will regret it. Tiller string is the alternative, when locking. As the water comes under the boat in a narrow lock it can turn the rudder, or if you hit the rear gate the rudder can go sideways without the tiller hitting the wall.

Following is an extract from the latest CART Boaters Bulletin under the section:

Expert advice on etiquette

I'm not a "CART basher" but I think the advice to push off from the bank before starting your engine bad advice not goood!

It wasnt written by CRT only published sent in from Beryl of the RBOA

I wish our boat had a clapped out Intercity 125 Valenta engine, the whine sounds great!

Funny that no-one has whinged about the swans banging their beaks up & down the hull at 4am.

The Woolwich ferries use them.

The Woolwich ferries use swans to wake people up....

Edited by Dar Kuma