sianmeenan

Featured Posts

Hello all,

Last month my family (including husband and two little girls, 2 and 3) and I moved onto a 65ft narrow boat. We love it, always knew we would, and it's been in the running for a very long time!

However, I've just come across my first problem, and I don't know how to handle it! We have a pump out toilet, which is usually fab. We had it pumped out the other day, and within a day or so, the toilet stopped flushing. The pump is still working, and we've disconnected and re connected all pipes. There was a bit of a tissue blockage at one point, but that's the only thing we could find. When you flush, you can hear the pump start, but it's just not pulling any water through. Is there something obvious I'm missing? Or is this going to be a case of hiring someone to come and resolve the problem?

Sian

• Greenie 1

Oh no , grim news .

First things first ..... put the kettle on ,

Then need to answer the two questions above .

So , Is the toilet bowl filling up with flush water but not being forced to the holding tank ?

Or is the toilet bowl not receiving any flushing water ?

Is it a macerator type toilet forces the waste away from the bowl to a tank elsewhere , or a " dump through " type with the holding tank directly beneath the bowl ?

Ive been here , got the t shirt etc & i got help from the good folk here & so once the above is known assistance is not far away

cheers

I remember J.D.Sleightholm writing an "Old Harry" piece about toilet problems.(may not mean much to younger readers) All toilet problems are initialy approached with a pair of Marigolds and an attitude of distaste.Eventualy,you grit your teeth and get down to it. As requested above can you give more details?

Hello all,

Last month my family (including husband and two little girls, 2 and 3) and I moved onto a 65ft narrow boat. We love it, always knew we would, and it's been in the running for a very long time!

However, I've just come across my first problem, and I don't know how to handle it! We have a pump out toilet, which is usually fab. We had it pumped out the other day, and within a day or so, the toilet stopped flushing. The pump is still working, and we've disconnected and re connected all pipes. There was a bit of a tissue blockage at one point, but that's the only thing we could find. When you flush, you can hear the pump start, but it's just not pulling any water through. Is there something obvious I'm missing? Or is this going to be a case of hiring someone to come and resolve the problem?

Thanks smile.png

Sian

Hi Sian

Its dead easy. Take the silly thing out and buy a proper boat toilet either Porta potti or cassette, job done never again will it stop working and can be replaced when a little shabby for peanuts.

Nearly evrybody with a silly pump out contraption has a porta potti on board anyway for when the pumpout tanks is full or the contraption as in your case packs in or you are iced in or pumpout machines nor working/not open etc etc etc etc etc etc

Tim

Hi Sian

Its dead easy. Take the silly thing out and buy a proper boat toilet either Porta potti or cassette, job done never again will it stop working and can be replaced when a little shabby for peanuts.

Nearly evrybody with a silly pump out contraption has a porta potti on board anyway for when the pumpout tanks is full or the contraption as in your case packs in or you are iced in or pumpout machines nor working/not open etc etc etc etc etc etc

Tim

Wise words, but I can understand the problem with a family of four aboard, the cassette would need emptying at least every couple of days.

I know several folks who have removed the pump-out and replaced it with a cassette (our boat being one of them) - I do not know anyone who has 'gone the other way'.

I do work for a kids nursery. They have a macerator toilet. So far I have had to strip out the entire toilet 4 times and clear Superman, clothes pegs, and thick paper towel from the macerator. Have you asked your kids if Superman is missing :)

I do work for a kids nursery. They have a macerator toilet. So far I have had to strip out the entire toilet 4 times and clear Superman, clothes pegs, and thick paper towel from the macerator. Have you asked your kids if Superman is missing smile.png

And, watch out for razor blades; they can really hurt even through 'Marigolds'.

I'm going to speculate that one of two things has happened here:

(1) The OP read post #2, realised the water tank was empty, and felt embarrassed at not having checked that. If so, please don't, everyone makes simple mistakes sometimes. Last week I spent about two minutes with the remote trying to get my mother's TV working for her before I spotted that the plug in the socket was another appliance.

(2) The OP, like a lot of people new to the forum, didn't know that it's very busy so hasn't yet checked back. Again, don't feel embarrassed about that, certain other canal forums (fora?) have tumbleweed blowing through them. Any request for help will soon draw some replies, and among all the comedy and off-topic fun sooner or later an expert will come along with the answer. Or two or more experts who get into a big debate as to what the answer should be. For a complex many-faceted subject this can go to extremes (see Dispute At Pillings).

I have had a similar problem with my macerator. I have put a cupful of bio washing powder in the bowl and pressed the flush button a few times (with the water switched off or it floods) and then left it for a few hours. The blockage always goes. What's a porta pottie?