Boat set on fire - Middle Levels

Martin Megson

Featured Posts

This is most startling. I know the exact location: West End is a wide footpath which leads from the High Street to the area where Fox's Marina is. It's a delightful, idyllic walk (most of the houses are much older than the ones in the photos and some are historic) and very peaceful. I have walked it dozens of times. In a mile's walk I might meet half a dozen other people, no more. It is absolutely not an area where you might expect trouble.

So, an accident? A fake insurance claim attempt? A personal animosity? No one knows yet, but I shall be interested to find out.

My thoughts too Athy, I moored at Fox's for a while so know the area. Also as an end of garden mooring it's not easily accessible.

Although the headline states "boat set on fire", which suggests a deliberate act, there is nothing in the story to confirm that and it is a little early for the fire service to have completed an investigation.

This is most startling. I know the exact location: West End is a wide footpath which leads from the High Street to the area where Fox's Marina is. It's a delightful, idyllic walk (most of the houses are much older than the ones in the photos and some are historic) and very peaceful. I have walked it dozens of times. In a mile's walk I might meet half a dozen other people, no more. It is absolutely not an area where you might expect trouble.

So, an accident? A fake insurance claim attempt? A personal animosity? No one knows yet, but I shall be interested to find out.

I know the owner, he is not the sort of person to fake a insurance claim. There have been a number of boats broken-in to on this section of river since Christmas.

A shame. You would really expect a boat on an EOG mooring like that to be safe from any sort of deliberate arson attack, but seemingly/possibly not.

The outcome of the investigation will be interesting

Genesis's is once more afloat, after a group of us spent Saturday pumping her out and re floating her. We were able to savage the boatman's stove and flue. The glass in the stove door was still intact. The boat itself has been deemed a right off. As for the cause of the fire, it is suspected that it was caused by a lit candle knocked over by the thief who had broking into the boat. This being the M.O. of other break-ins on this section of river where the remains of burnt out candles have been found. If anyone like a project, the remains are up for sell by the insurance company. While the owners seek a replacement boat.

Genesis's is once more afloat, after a group of us spent Saturday pumping her out and re floating her. We were able to savage the boatman's stove and flue. The glass in the stove door was still intact. The boat itself has been deemed a right off. As for the cause of the fire, it is suspected that it was caused by a lit candle knocked over by the thief who had broking into the boat. This being the M.O. of other break-ins on this section of river where the remains of burnt out candles have been found. If anyone like a project, the remains are up for sell by the insurance company. While the owners seek a replacement boat.

Really? So these break-ins are almost certainly the work of one criminal? How many have there been? If I were a boat owner on March Riverside I would be looking to set up a security camera.

Looking at the photos on the Cambs Times site its clear the fitout has completely gone, but the shell doesn't look that badly damaged. I can understand that the insurers have written it off, and the owners may prefer to get a new boat than spend time refitting, but is the shell actually beyond repair? What state is the engine in?

I'm assuming the thief lights the candle and knocks it over deliberately to destroy any trace of him. With any luck he'll get trapped inside one day.

Boat thieves aren't good, but I wouldn't wish that on them.

Janet

Looking at the photos on the Cambs Times site its clear the fitout has completely gone, but the shell doesn't look that badly damaged. I can understand that the insurers have written it off, and the owners may prefer to get a new boat than spend time refitting, but is the shell actually beyond repair? What state is the engine in?

The cabin sides and roof are warped. It would be cheaper and quicker to replace the cabin with new steel. The would need a complete rebuild depend if the engine block was damage.

I'm assuming the thief lights the candle and knocks it over deliberately to destroy any trace of him. With any luck he'll get trapped inside one day.

He not done so with the other boats. It is believed that candles were lit by the thief to see what they were doing. When you think about it, Someone passing by seeing lit candles would take no notice, thinking its normal. Yet a torch flashing about would indite someone up to no good.