GU tanks photos and sizes

madcat

Featured Posts

Somewhere I have photos of one of the tanks swinging gaily on a strop as its lowered back into the boat . I will look it out and scan it to email to Alan .

To get photos of the odd top I will need to take one next visit to the boat, that might be a while because I'm a bit off colour ( thankfully not cat flu.)

Here are the photos that Madcat has sent me of Halsall's tanks going back in.

Never having seen one out before, I'm surprised by the proportions of them, and specifically how big the raised quarter tank is in relation to the bit that goes under the floors. I hadn't realised how much of the total capacity must be in the "visible" bit.

H149046_zpsatnab6cd.jpg

H149053_zpsm2ku0ijf.jpg

H149059_zpsnizoboli.jpg

H149060_zpsie5fcqpz.jpg

They do look to be the same size as yours, Alan.

Assuming both are originals, one would expect that, and I have no reason to doubt Flamingo's are original.

I must be not the most observant person in the world, but am surprised to see the vents and fillers in different positions on each side on Halsall. From the limited bit I can see in the picture of Flamingo's right hand tank, it looks like it probably matches Halsall's. But whether the left hand one does, I have no idea, until I'm next at the boat.

They do appear to be taller, in both horizontal and vertical sections, than the Small Woolwich tanks. I'm not sure how the horizontal bit can be taller unless the engine room floor is higher.

The horizontal part is also a different shape from the SW tanks, the outer edge on those has a tapered section at the after end.

Those appear to have a very slightly tapered bit on the inner face, I'm not sure what purpose that would serve.

Tim

Edited by Timleech

I'm going to end up on my hands and knees with a tape measuring the things . We did when they were out but the note book is currently hiding. After I measure up it will probably appear. .

I thought they were slightly tapered on the outer face . It's hard to tell from a photo.

I have engine room photos of Seaford ( detail of Tank ) and Nutfield ( more general view) they are the same size as mine and Flamingos . I will email them to Alan , there's only 2 photos.

I found a file labelled GU tanks in the old computer.

Edited by madcat

I have engine room photos of Seaford ( detail of Tank ) and Nutfield ( more general view) they are the same size as mine and Flamingos . I will email them to Alan , there's only 2 photos.

I found a file labelled GU tanks in the old computer.

Nothing has turned up yet!

I think these tanks are a lot bigger on the inside than they look on the out side. Or at least that feels the way when filling them.

I have managed to get around 500 litres in my tank,s possibly a tad more.

My tanks are connected by a pipe so that diesel can travel from one to another, anyone else got that?

Also does anyone else have a return from the engine to the tank for excess fuel? Mine does not and I think it is causing chronic fuel consumption.

Thanks for the Woolwich info Roland , any idea on the thread size for yours.

Mine are a home made push fit job , heavy with brass handles and passed the BSC ok.

I have considered how to make replicas , I have a dimensioned sketch .

Alan I've sent the photos just now, hope they landed ok

Edited by madcat

I think these tanks are a lot bigger on the inside than they look on the out side. Or at least that feels the way when filling them.

I have managed to get around 500 litres in my tank,s possibly a tad more.

My tanks are connected by a pipe so that diesel can travel from one to another, anyone else got that?

Also does anyone else have a return from the engine to the tank for excess fuel? Mine does not and I think it is causing chronic fuel consumption.

It's reckoned that each tank holds 60gallons, double that up and you have 545 litres, and yes, most are connected.

As to spill rail return, seem to recall mine went back to the fuel filter.

Did the email land ok Alan ?

Yes-(ish!)

I'm strugling to get them out of the email they are embedded in, (they are not seperate files this time), and to rotate one that is on its side trough 90 degrees, without the proportions getting changed.......

its 4 inch bsp external thread I believe. I've tried to source some without success ( from solid bar) I even know where there are 2 caps on a sunk boat but to remove them would be immoral in my opinion. ( it should eventually be restored.) one day I might commission some , but it's a bit low on the job list! As fenny has lost so much old stuff. As a note many Guccc tanks have been repaired by having the bottom replaced. That may explain different heights.....

its 4 inch bsp external thread I believe. I've tried to source some without success ( from solid bar) I even know where there are 2 caps on a sunk boat but to remove them would be immoral in my opinion. ( it should eventually be restored.) one day I might commission some , but it's a bit low on the job list! As fenny has lost so much old stuff. As a note many Guccc tanks have been repaired by having the bottom replaced. That may explain different heights.....

Why not just buy a standard black iron cap, eg here, and get the hexagon turned off it. It won't be as tall as the originals, but how much are you willing to pay for that sort of authentic rivet-counting detail?

Tim

Just been out to look at Sculptor's (Small Northwich) tanks - crickey it is still cold out there! I think it is important to remember that Sculptor was extensively 'rebuilt' in the early 1980s.

The tanks seem to be 'mirror images' of each other - see photos - and the tank screw tops are a bit larger than has, I think, been intimated on here so far. They feel really good to undo - not like modern stuff which always feels so flimsy - these just feel 'right'.

Left tank (sorry a wee bit blurry in the cold)

15733222603_86d798919a_z.jpg

Right tank (not quite so blurry - more light from the east!)

16165818890_52e5b23352_z.jpg

Tank screw top with tape measure (looks a bit odd because I have had to flip it to get the tape measure the right way up!)

16351464321_fbe05f74b2_z.jpg

Edited by Leo No2

Just been out to look at Sculptor's (Small Northwich) tanks - crickey it is still cold out there! I think it is important to remember that Sculptor was extensively 'rebuilt' in the early 1980s.

The tanks seem to be 'mirror images' of each other - see photos - and the tank screw tops are a bit larger than has, I think, been intimated on here so far. They feel really good to undo - not like modern stuff which always feels so flimsy - these just feel 'right'.

Left tank (sorry a wee bit blurry in the cold)

15733222603_86d798919a_z.jpg

Right tank (not quite so blurry - more light from the east!)

16165818890_52e5b23352_z.jpg

Tank screw top with tape measure (looks a bit odd because I have had to flip it to get the tape measure the right way up!)

16351464321_fbe05f74b2_z.jpg

That looks more like 5" BSP. Not something you could easily buy off the shelf, though probably available somewhere.

If Roland (or anyone else), really does want some made to pattern, let me know. Wouldn't be particularly cheap to make from solid, though.

Tim

That looks more like 5" BSP. Not something you could easily buy off the shelf, though probably available somewhere.

If Roland (or anyone else), really does want some made to pattern, let me know. Wouldn't be particularly cheap to make from solid, though.

Tim

Internal diameter is 5.25" - sorry couldn't hold the tape measure and the camera at the same time. Edited by Leo No2

Internal diameter is 5.25" - sorry could hold the tape measure and the camera at the same time.

Minor diameter for 5" BSP is theoretically 5.34", but I'd be surprised if it weren't 5" BSP.

Edit - trying to think why they bothered to make such a wide filler with a tall upstand, all I can come up with is that it makes filling manually from containers much easier.

Having some sort of upstand eliminates the risk of water arriving for whatever reason on the top of the tank finding its way into the tank.

Tim

Edited by Timleech