Narrow boat sunk on River Avon

blackrose

Featured Posts

Attempting again to get back on topic.

If the poles have mooring rings attached and the boat is tied to them it would rise with the increased level.

Looking at the back deck I wonder if the heavy rain we've had over the last couple of months may have ended up in the engine bilge allowing vents/exhaust to go under.

Anyway that's all supposition, the owner is facing what he's facing.

I recall a couple of years ago an Australian who ended up in hospital back home while his boat (it might have been Atalanta .... I could be wrong) was left illegally moored against the towpath near Rugby or Hillmorton.

I seem to remember that our own Carlt went and checked on it.

It strikes me that there could be a service here for some enterprising person.

Any of us could be unfortunate enough to have leave our boat unattended for a period of time miles from home while we make arrangements.

Imagine time is rolling on, the weather has deteriorated.

You go on line give details of your boat and where it is, choose what service you want, pay a fee by card and wait.

The organiser contacts someone local to the boat (who gets a %) to go and report.

That person merely reports what he/she finds to the owner by phone.

The owner learns if it's all fine/sinking/ broken into/ vandalised/ loosened ropes/ sectioned.

The owner can authorise there and then if he wants to buy more service like "Hire a Pump" or contract someone to "board it up" and pays by card.

All responsibility remains with the owner, and they get exactly what they pay for .... a pair of eyes and a helping hand.

How many of us have been awake at night listening to the rain and worrying about our boat?

As I said earlier owning a boat is a responsibility.

I now live 80 miles from my mooring and if the weather has been awful or I have suddenly imagined oozing glands etc. then I drive there asap.

The above idea for a service is an excellent idea - does anybody provide this kind of service at the moment?

It could be just one person with a car (or they could go by train & bus + foot/bicycle) who can nip round anywhere they are asked too. For a fee, of course.

If I had another life (and some money!) this is something I'd very much like to do.

Could the fuel boats provide some kind of service like this, that they'd have a list of boat names and cellphone numbers and every time they go past a boat who has registered with them they can send a text-message about state of your boat?

Photos could be taken with a digi-camera and sent through by e-mail (and of course photos can be taken with cellphone and sent to cellphone, but digi-camera pics could be better).

Such a simple idea, too! And you would be travelling around getting to know the canals and boats.

I might be happy to help out with this idea, as some kind of co-ordinator (for free in the beginning anyway).

But I'm sure there is some kind of system in place already, right?

The above idea for a service is an excellent idea - does anybody provide this kind of service at the moment?

It could be just one person with a car (or they could go by train & bus + foot/bicycle) who can nip round anywhere they are asked too. For a fee, of course.

If I had another life (and some money!) this is something I'd very much like to do.

Could the fuel boats provide some kind of service like this, that they'd have a list of boat names and cellphone numbers and every time they go past a boat who has registered with them they can send a text-message about state of your boat?

Photos could be taken with a digi-camera and sent through by e-mail (and of course photos can be taken with cellphone and sent to cellphone, but digi-camera pics could be better).

Such a simple idea, too! And you would be travelling around getting to know the canals and boats.

I might be happy to help out with this idea, as some kind of co-ordinator (for free in the beginning anyway).

But I'm sure there is some kind of system in place already, right?

With proper insurance could expand it to include boat movement, to comply with 14 day rule.

When I first thought of this it was because of my own needs.

Thinking about it more comprehensively .....

I know of no other service being offered.

The set up costs would be minimal.

There'd be a need to be quite clear about the restrictions of the service being offered.

Payment would need to be up front.

I'd see it having one central coordinator to keep confusion down.

Each representative should be responsible for their patch or if unavailable having a replacement.

They should also establish working relationships with Hire Shops for pumps or boarding up ( an excellent opportunity for commission)

I see it no way being a competitor to the existing break down service available.

I'd imagine the demands for the service would be self generating so far as it moving into other areas of service such as moving a boat back to base due to illness or some other misfortune.

I don't think initial marketing of the service would be difficult, costly yes but achievable.

The main "Essential" and possible headache would always be a goodish number of area representatives prepared to undertake a trip out to and report back, even during anti-social hours and bad weather.

What have I overlooked, or what would you want out of such a service?

"With proper insurance could expand it to include boat movement, to comply with 14 day rule."

Er.... wot? (no, this is just checking to see boats are OK, nothing to do with canal rules & regulations)

"The main "Essential" and possible headache would always be a goodish number of area representatives" - at first it could be just one person. I think the 'business idea' might not work at first as this is just an 'itsy-bitsy' lark, but if performed sensibly and word gets around that this is a good service, then it could catch fire and get onto a steady footing.

I think it would suit one person with a car, time on their hands, and their own money to waste on petrol. Of course, a fee should be asked for - but at first this wouldn't cover costs, only then when there are many boaters registered and hollering for check-ups. Perhaps there are people who have nothing better to do at weekends who'd like to have a go at this? Perhaps someone could start in one area, eg. the southern Oxford, to see how it works out? If nothing else, it'd get you into the fresh air.

As I said earlier, I would be willing to help (from afar) as it certainly seems like an interesting idea.

When I had my fuel boat, I looked out for other peoples boats as a matter of course. I contacted owners if I knew them, or the mooring warden. I would chuck a pipe into the back of a boat if it got to close to sinking, and pumped out water until oil came out to stop a boat from sinking. No charge....

I did have a financial agreement with a few owners, usually as a result of the free service above, to do such ongoing.

Boaters are supposed to be nice people. A community that looks out for each other. Im happy to report that this is still the case on riverz. Well, big riverz anyway.

I'm quite happy listening to the rain beating down on the roof. I live on my boat so I only worry about it when I'm not on it.

It's us unlucky ones who don't live aboard that such a service might be of interest to, unless while on your boat you want somebody to go and check on your house?

"With proper insurance could expand it to include boat movement, to comply with 14 day rule."

Er.... wot? (no, this is just checking to see boats are OK, nothing to do with canal rules & regulations)

"The main "Essential" and possible headache would always be a goodish number of area representatives" - at first it could be just one person. I think the 'business idea' might not work at first as this is just an 'itsy-bitsy' lark, but if performed sensibly and word gets around that this is a good service, then it could catch fire and get onto a steady footing.

I think it would suit one person with a car, time on their hands, and their own money to waste on petrol. Of course, a fee should be asked for - but at first this wouldn't cover costs, only then when there are many boaters registered and hollering for check-ups. Perhaps there are people who have nothing better to do at weekends who'd like to have a go at this? Perhaps someone could start in one area, eg. the southern Oxford, to see how it works out? If nothing else, it'd get you into the fresh air.

As I said earlier, I would be willing to help (from afar) as it certainly seems like an interesting idea.

I would prefer it to be a network and not a single "Lone Ranger"

The customer confidence would be achieved by a quick reaction from phoning one person - paying - getting a phone call back with either an MMS photo or e-Mail. They then have the option to buy further services if they so wish.

OrgChart.png

I envisage each area needing at least two available reps to call upon (i.e. South GU x2) and so on.

I don't expect those trudging down muddy towpaths to be out of pocket on petrol money or being the ones to move boats.

Hopefully a quick check and a photo would satisfy most but there will be occasions when the news won't be good and the owner will be desperate for further assistance. I wouldn't want to take somebody's money, leave them panicking even more.

The Coordinator takes a small % of the fee the majority goes to those in the field.

There would need to be defined terms & conditions as well as understood responsibilities and insurance for 3rd party responsibilities as well as clear understanding that we do not become responsible for a client's boat or ongoing condition of it.

It would be a helping hand with with a fee paid .... using a network.

If you had been paid to drive over to check up on it, then walked down a muddy towpath to find it listing.

You then phoned the owner and sent him a photo of its predicament.

Would you have the necessary pumps/generators to hand?

That would be the issue, and then the owner would be in a position to make an informed decision.

If you had been paid to drive over to check up on it, then walked down a muddy towpath to find it listing.

You then phoned the owner and sent him a photo of its predicament.

Would you have the necessary pumps/generators to hand?

That would be the issue, and then the owner would be in a position to make an informed decision.

right. You would then ..

im glad you dont more where I do

right. You would then ..

im glad you dont more where I do

You're putting words in my mouth.

However I'll answer you're question with a simple "Yes" or "No" without explanation or trying to put context in it if you will do the same?

Have you stopped beating your wife?

Yes or No?

How would you deal with a situation where you have been paid, check at your usual periodicity and arrive to find it already sunk?

Probably best to rely on goodwill as suggested by Luctor, as there are many pitfalls for a paid service operating at a viab!e cost.

"Ok, ill bite. Would you let a boat near you sink, because they had not paid their fee?"

Blimey, you jump the gun! Answer is only if it's your boat Mr Luctor ;)

This is where I diverge, as it seems to be turning more into a competitor for River Canal Rescue. I like the idea of, say, one person who would like to try this out as a way of life for a while and see how it goes. Basically they would be paying all costs, and getting a little back in fees. Yes, they would be out of pocket but it would be a fascinating thing to do.

NB Flying Mouse owner phones/e-mails/text-messages and says have you got time to go to Cropredy and see if my boat looks OK, untampered with? Service-Provider Person (SPP) says I'm on my way! They could be in the Upper Peak Forest Canal area, but so what, it's a lovely drive through the Peak District and Darkest Oxfordshyre.

Next port of call is NB Fish&Chips, whose owner has asked SPP to check on their boat in Stoke Works on the Worcester & Birmingham, so another unhurried drive over that way.

Any boats near railway station - could catch trains there and walk along the towpath. Buses could be used too. A peculiar but unique way to see the country at the same time.

Of course SPP needs to be 100% trustworthy and reliable.

What about those rich Russian oligarchs - wouldn't this be more fun and purposeful than buying up fooball clubs?

However, as usual, I'm sure this will be shoved under the mat due to lack of interest...

It's us unlucky ones who don't live aboard that such a service might be of interest to, unless while on your boat you want somebody to go and check on your house?

What house? I don't own a house.

Anyone who can afford to live in a house and own a boat isn't "unlucky" in my book.

Edited by blackrose

Sounds to me like this idea would cost far more to set up and operate than it would generate income therefore, I'm out.

I would however be willing to check on someone boat as a favour if they were local and asked me to.

I just checked on your boat.

It's still sold.