What Kind of License will I need?

Lmcgrath87

Featured Posts

Doing some sums today, as there isn't much activity on the boat hunting front for us right now.

We plan to live somewhere on either the Thames or Kennet & Avon. Realistically we won't be cruising too much in the first year purely down to work commitments - between us hubs and I will work every day in the week, so limited to where we could get to!

What Kind of license would we need to get for the boat?

If you are not moving a lot then just get the C&RT one and get short term one if you actually go onto the Thames.

After the first year think about getting the Gold if you will use the Thames often.

It is a balance between the number of times you need the Short term and the Gold.

Gold runs from the first of January each year. Standard C&RT can run from any month.

If you bought C&RT now you would have to surrender it to get a Gold. (Refund of whole months is possible)

Edited by bottle

To be honest, I think we'd be more inclined to use the Thames to begin with, but that's based purely on gut instinct because that's the area we know well (by land at least) so would be happy to potter, we also know other boat owners on the Thames.

If you're in a marina do you still need a licence? Just based on Naughty Cal's comment about short term for both. If say, we were to stay in a marina for a solid year once we got there - although this would be very unlikely and goes against the reason for wanting the boat in the first place - but if we were to be stationery do you need a license still?

Now there's a question. The answer is yes, for most marinas - but some have some sort of agreement or statute which enables their moorers to go licence-free as long as they don't leave the marina. I think that Whilton is one of these, and I'm sure that there are others.

Now there's a question. The answer is yes, for most marinas - but some have some sort of agreement or statute which enables their moorers to go licence-free as long as they don't leave the marina. I think that Whilton is one of these, and I'm sure that there are others.

The flip side of that is that often in the T&C's of the marina is the requirement that all boats need to be licensed, insured and have a valid BSC

Pedantry needs to be complete -- what about licence/license and licencing/licensing? (Admittedly not helped by a US spell check)

Licence - noun. License - verb (if in doubt think of advice and advise).

As the motionless secret agent said, "My name is Bond. Basildon Bond. That's why I'm stationery".

Oh, or in that context should it be stationary...?

There are a few about on CaRT waters but I don't know of any down the K&A no idea about the Thames.

Any boat kept on the Thames or in a marina connected to the river needs a licence.

On CaRT waters there are a very few marinas (IIRC Froud's bridge may be one) where you do have to be licenced. As soon as you pop your nose out of such marina you need a CaRt licence, and that can't be a short term one.

If you're hovering between the K&A and the Thames then a Gold is your best bet. the extra costs is relatively small and obviously you can pop back and forth at will.

A Thames short term licence works out very expensive. Without doing the sums three x three day STLs on the River would almost wipe out the additional cost of a Gold - if you see what I mean.

If you were based on the Thames the reverse is true (and that hacks me off). The additional cost of a Gold is worth 2 1/2 months Thames licence. So I buy an Explorer.

Short message - get a Gold, it works best for you and you can come and go as you please.

Licence - noun. License - verb (if in doubt think of advice and advise).

As the motionless secret agent said, "My name is Bond. Basildon Bond. That's why I'm stationery".

Oh, or in that context should it be stationary...?

Licence - noun. License - verb Unless you're American, cause they turn it the other way round. Doh !!

Edited by Terryb

• 10 months later...

Any boat kept on the Thames or in a marina connected to the river needs a licence.

Ome off). The additional cost of a Gold is worth 2 1/2 months Thames licence. So I buy an Explorer.

Short message - get a Gold, it works best for you and you can come and go as you please.

not true the marina i stay in is connected to a river and no licience is required