Annual Holding Tank Cleaning

Lanners

Featured Posts

Hi All,

Is there a chemical I can add to a plastic holding tank (pump out toilet) for an annual clean? (instead of opening it up and hosing out)

Doesn't matter if its a non eco one as we have just had to add bleach to it (due to a blocked breather pipe disaster!

Cheers.

If it's a dump through type then I use a pressure washer with an angled lance down the "hole" while leaving the pump out machine running.

It's quite amazing how much scale & sludge it shifts. If you are careful it's not a messy operation at all.

Cheers

Gareth

Shite tanks need cleaning ANNUALLY????????????????????????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

One more reason cassettes are better!!

MtB

exactly what I was thinking when I read that...LOL

I have just bought a new cassette for my Vacufkush system. It weighs 3.5kg. It seemed much lighter than a 7 year old one so I weighed that at 4.3kg. So despite flushing several times every time it is emptied plus boiling water and detergent every month or so, the effluent has still stuck to the sides.

The expression, sxxt to a shovel, comes to mind.

I would suggest if your breather blocked you are overfilling the tank. Why do you want to clean it, you are only going to put poo in it again.

The breather pipe is blocked, we've cleaned it out but there's still some sh&t in there, (another backfire today! :( )

Thinking about ripping the lot out and replacing with rigid pipes, and also fitting them in a way so there are no low points where it can sit (currently the breather pipe and also the pump out pipe run for about 3 meters along the floor) - rubbish!

So, with this in mind I want to clean it all out before doing the dirty work.

To clear the sh&t out of the current breather pipe I was going to attach the pump out machine to one end, and the other end in bleachy water, can anyone think of a a better way to clear it??

Thanks

We have a Thetford cassette loo and use this:

http://www.thetford-europe.com/product/cassette-tank-cleaner/

May be worth a try?

Thanks

The breather pipe is blocked, we've cleaned it out but there's still some sh&t in there, (another backfire today! sad.png )

Thinking about ripping the lot out and replacing with rigid pipes, and also fitting them in a way so there are no low points where it can sit (currently the breather pipe and also the pump out pipe run for about 3 meters along the floor) - rubbish!

To clear the sh&t out of the current breather pipe I was going to attach the pump out machine to one end, and the other end in bleachy water, can anyone think of a a better way to clear it??

Thanks

Thanks

I suggest selling it and buying another boat :D

MtB

As I said, if you are blocking the breather you are over filling it. Regardless of the poor pipe runs you shouldn't have effluent in the breather.

Yep, I know :)

Just trying to fix it so looking for advice...

Wont be overfilling it EVER again :(

If it's a dump through type then I use a pressure washer with an angled lance down the "hole" while leaving the pump out machine running.

It's quite amazing how much scale & sludge it shifts. If you are careful it's not a messy operation at all.

And if you aren't ?................ :lol:

Yep, I know smile.png

Just trying to fix it so looking for advice...

Wont be overfilling it EVER again sad.png

If its a vent pipe I take it that it starts at the top of the tank, in the case of your pipe runs drops to the floor, runs along a bit then goes up again to the vent outlet all in flexible pipe. If that is the case can you not disconnect each end, put a bung in and remove the whole length of pipe, especially if you intend to reroute it.

I am sorry if I have miss read this with your layout and problem.

I have just bought a new cassette for my Vacufkush system. It weighs 3.5kg. It seemed much lighter than a 7 year old one so I weighed that at 4.3kg. So despite flushing several times every time it is emptied plus boiling water and detergent every month or so, the effluent has still stuck to the sides.

The expression, sxxt to a shovel, comes to mind.

It is easy to see what is stuck to the sides and bottom of a 'Porta-Potti' tank, not sure about a Vacuflush cassette. Hard water deposits seem to attach to even a smooth surface providing a rough surface that then allows other solids to stick. A weak acid will remove the calcium deposit but may also etch the plastic.

The breather pipe is blocked, we've cleaned it out but there's still some sh&t in there, (another backfire today! sad.png )

Thanks

Thanks

Thin bleach (30p for 2 litres), is effective as a sanitiser. Soaking in a bio detergent several times may be effective? Be careful, chlorine bleach combined with other lavatory cleaners rapidly releases deadly chlorine gas.

Flushing the pipe at high pressure may be effective. I would use a flexible 'pull/push-through' ('fish tape'?). It is a coil of flat, spring steel with a brass ball-end, available from DIY stores but I cannot identify the correct name. Then pull through a bunch of rag followed by another flush.

Chances are that your breather, like mine, is of insufficient diameter - see Lee Sanitation for good advice.

Alan

Edited by Alan Saunders

I'm wishing you luck with this one. I'm so glad I use the basic Elsan type.

Ok you get to see the content but is that any worse than producing the content after all you made it in the first place. There's times mind you when I wish I'd gone a bit easier on the chillies.

My Vacuflush cassettes are 10 years old. All I've ever done is pour out the waste and give them a couple of rinses with water. I don't have this problem of shit stuck to the insides. Yes, I've checked with a torch and the insides of the cassettes seem clean enough to me. Some people either have very sticky shit or they just like creating more problems and jobs for themselves.

It is easy to see what is stuck to the sides and bottom of a 'Porta-Potti' tank, not sure about a Vacuflush cassette. Hard water deposits seem to attach to even a smooth surface providing a rough surface that then allows other solids to stick. A weak acid will remove the calcium deposit but may also etch the plastic.

Thin bleach (30p for 2 litres), is effective as a sanitiser. Soaking in a bio detergent several times may be effective? Be careful, chlorine bleach combined with other lavatory cleaners rapidly releases deadly chlorine gas.

Flushing the pipe at high pressure may be effective. I would use a flexible 'pull/push-through' ('fish tape'?). It is a coil of flat, spring steel with a brass ball-end, available from DIY stores but I cannot identify the correct name. Then pull through a bunch of rag followed by another flush.

Chances are that your breather, like mine, is of insufficient diameter - see Lee Sanitation for good advice.

Alan

often sold in electrical wholesalers as an electricians "mouse"

Blackrose you went to bother of getting a torch and looking though.

I think the problem may be connected to etching of the plastic with cassettes and intervals between pumping out with holding tanks. I'm just glad I don't have to clean one out.

If its a vent pipe I take it that it starts at the top of the tank, in the case of your pipe runs drops to the floor, runs along a bit then goes up again to the vent outlet all in flexible pipe. If that is the case can you not disconnect each end, put a bung in and remove the whole length of pipe, especially if you intend to reroute it.

I am sorry if I have miss read this with your layout and problem.

Yep, that's the current layout I'm sad to say,

Cant see why having the pump out sucker on one end, and a bucket of bleachy water on the other (making sure the bleach end is higher than the pump out end) would'nt work, or will it just replace the dirty water with cleaner water once the bucket is empty? - when I remove the pipe, I'd rather do it (bunged) with cleaner water than whats currently in there, its a long pipe and knowing my luck, the bung will leak!

And on that subject, what's best to use as a bung? - I was thinking one of those scaffold caps, and then lots and lots of gaffa tape

Thanks

Yep, that's the current layout I'm sad to say,

Cant see why having the pump out sucker on one end, and a bucket of bleachy water on the other (making sure the bleach end is higher than the pump out end) would'nt work, or will it just replace the dirty water with cleaner water once the bucket is empty? - when I remove the pipe, I'd rather do it (bunged) with cleaner water than whats currently in there, its a long pipe and knowing my luck, the bung will leak!

And on that subject, what's best to use as a bung? - I was thinking one of those scaffold caps, and then lots and lots of gaffa tape

Thanks

I would use a piece of wood, I take it yours is the standard 38- 40mm pipe. If so drive the plug in and fasten a clip round it.

If the pipe falls and rises you can't be sure the clean water will push the dirty ahead of it. I think pubs use a foam ball when they pump the beer lines out to stop it mixing

I would use a piece of wood, I take it yours is the standard 38- 40mm pipe. If so drive the plug in and fasten a clip round it.

If the pipe falls and rises you can't be sure the clean water will push the dirty ahead of it. I think pubs use a foam ball when they pump the beer lines out to stop it mixing

Great, thanks for the tips

Much appreciated

If its a vent pipe I take it that it starts at the top of the tank, in the case of your pipe runs drops to the floor, runs along a bit then goes up again to the vent outlet all in flexible pipe.

That is just asking for trouble. Is there any way you can reroute the vent pipe so it rises continuously from the top of the tank to the vent outlet? That way if you do ever overfill the tank the crxp will at least drain out when the tank is emptied, and if you remove the vent cover you can pour water down to rinse it out.

Edited by David Mack

That is just asking for trouble. Is there any way you can reroute the vent pipe so it rises continuously from the top of the tank to the vent outlet? That way if you do ever overfill the tank the crxp will at least drain out when the tank is emptied, and if you remove the vent cover you can pour water down to rinse it out.

Hi, yep, thats what I'm going to do, I'm moving the breather pipe and also the pump out connector so they are above the tank (and the shortest distance to the outside).

I'm also replacing all the vetus sanitary flexi pipe with rigid Solvent Weld Waste Pipe (40mm) (I'll just use bits of the flexi pipe for connections to the toilet / vent etc, and I'm going to tape them up with foil tape, plus gaffa probably)

I'm trying to find blank covers for where the old holes will be (one in the hull, one on the roof), can anyone recommend anywhere you can get these, or if they even exist?

If not I was thinking of jut using cheap filler caps like these (and glue them shut):

LINK

Cheers