Best way to light a coal fire?

floatsyourboat

Featured Posts

Can i add the sideways method to the mix?

Stack coal up against the back or sidewall of your stove, then stack kindling up against that, then light kindling using whatever starter. If i burn coal, i usually do this and once the kindling has taken, put a log against the kindling, it seems to funnell the heat up through the kindling between the log and the coal and gets everything going well.

Presumably most useful when the boat is listing due to a full waste tank?

When my Grandma had a coal fire, we used to spend many happy hours twisting newspapers and tying them into tight knots to use on the fire. They certainly seemed to do the trick!

I was easily pleased as a child...

Janet

My Dad used to do this at our house in Sheffield when I was a boy. We had an all-night burner type of open fire, and one of his daily rituals was to take a double page from the previous day's Daily express and hold it over the fire opening. Actually, he did not usually have to hold it in place, as the updraught from (or towards) the chimney held it in place. However, he usually managed to remove the paper, scrunch it up and put it on the fire, before the paper ignited.

I have used the method successfully, but as our current house has only a solid-fuel stove, not an open fireplace, I'm a bit out of practice.

It was always a moment of great ammusement to my brother and myself watching grandad holding a broadsheet page of the Rochdale Observer over the fireplace and waiting for the inevitable page going up in flames which always started with the centre of the page starting to turn brown before the rapid scuffling of grandad trying to avoid burnt fingers and eyebrows.

Our stove lighting method is :- make up a small fire, kindling on the bottom, then coal. shut the door and open the top vent 1/2 a turn. place a firelighter in the ash pan and light it then leave the ashpan door open till the fire is going, then close the ashpan door with the vent open and add more coal to taste.

eventually regulate the fire with the bottom vent leaving the top vent open half a turn. This always keeps the glass clear.

I use "If You Care" Non-Toxic Wood and Vegetable Oil firelighters. I am often lighting the fire from cold (don't live on the boat) and certainly leave any unburnt coal at the bottom of the grate as a bed for the new fire (bit of twisted paper, firelighter or two, sticks, bigger bit of wood, etc. etc.) .....

I use the upside down method to light my fire. I don't think it makes a blind bit of difference to how well (note I said well not easy, before the pendants jump on this) the fire is lit or burns. I think it is one of the many "old wives tales" told on this forum and generally (try the spider and conker one. The spiders on my boat just love the smell of conkers and call all their mates in.) BUT if you build the fire upside down then it is much much easier to get at the easily combustible bits that actually start the fire. So from that point of view upside fire lighting does make life a little easier for me.

Another vote for upside down, originally we did the paper+firelighters, then kindling with coal on top. Then tried the upside down method and found it a vast improvement - more reliable. We no longer use paper and it does need more kindling, but also means that the fire can be loaded with more coal, so less of a need to add coal once it has started. Also, less risk of coal falling off the top if/when you open the door.

Ive done away with the stove, light a cigarrette when my mrs has been farting in the boat creates enough heat for a cruise liner never mind a NB

strange people mention paper as our local Wolverhampton Express & Star burns much better than the nationals,

high in methane no doubt, dont light the daily star without full PPE

I find lighting my stove quite simple.

2 screwed up bits of newspaper, 1 firelighter and a handful of kindling. Light with a match and wait a few minutes. Chuck on some coal. Fire lit!

I've never tried this upside down method, but it sounds similar to how we used to light the engines when i was firing steam locomotives. We would first shovel a layer of coal over the grate, then chuck in a few chopped up pallets and then light an oil/paraffin soaked rag and throw that in. Wait 10 mins or so and then add start slowly adding coal. I hadn't thought this could work on such a small scale in my SFS but might give it a go next week (not using the fuel soaked rag though!).

I seem to recall the rationale for the upside down method is that when coal burns the heat drives off volatile vapour, which then burns as a gas. The wood fire on top heats the coal producing this vapour, which then rises through the burning wood and catches fire.

I always start with a single layer of coal on the grate, and nestle a firelighter in the middle then build a jenga stack of kindling on top of the firelighter. Very reliable.

I always start with a single layer of coal on the grate, and nestle a firelighter in the middle then build a jenga stack of kindling on top of the firelighter. Very reliable.

It has to obvious that this can't work. There is no way that you could light a fire using this method.

Problem is, it works, and is a damn sight easier than lighting it the "right way up".

It has to obvious that this can't work. There is no way that you could light a fire using this method.

Problem is, it works, and is a damn sight easier than lighting it the "right way up".

But ive never had a problem lighting the fire the "right way up" and it couldnt be simpler

kindling, coal, firelighter in the ash pan, hey presto a fire

But ive never had a problem lighting the fire the "right way up" and it couldnt be simpler

kindling, coal, firelighter in the ash pan, hey presto a fire

What do you do with the remains of the previous day's or week's fire? Lots of bits of partially consumed fuel. Does the fire lighter in the ash pan go through them?

NB Not bickering, just asking.

If ive got to the stage of needing a new fire then its because ive given the stove a full clean out and hoover.

The rare times the fire had gone out overnight (once id mastered the art) there was very little left in the grate so as above, just add kindling new coal, empty ashpan and light the firelighter

If ive got to the stage of needing a new fire then its because ive given the stove a full clean out and hoover.

The rare times the fire had gone out overnight (once id mastered the art) there was very little left in the grate so as above, just add kindling new coal, empty ashpan and light the firelighter

We find that during the last week having the stove going all day ended up with the doors open trying to cool the boat down, and this was with the air settings as low as would sustain fire. In that sort of weather we shut it down in the morning and relight in the evening, hence the detritus left in the grate.

Today and for the next few days at least the thing will run 24 hours as it will through the depths of winter.

Your method suits you but the upside down method suits us, mainly because we don't end up trying to balance fuel eggs on top of kindling wood constructions without the whole things collapsing thus requiring a restart which is done with very bad grace.

For some reason the last three words above bring to mind Cosmo Smallpiece.smiley_offtopic.gif