gearbox oil

Hoose

Featured Posts

Why is Golden film 30 not good for a PRM gearbox? I can find nothing in the PRM manual that says you must not use a non detergent oil.

Apologies for the thread hijacking but what oil for a PRM 260? My parents have a Perkins D3 which they run on 30's oil.

Should they run the gearbox on 30's, 15/40's or 80/90 gear oil?

TIA smile.png

I have been using Morris Golden Film (and it's predecessor) SAE 30 in my 1980 PRM 160 (re named 260) for the past 17 yertar with no ill effects.

Edited by David Schweizer

As has been said, if you contact PRM about a hydraulic box, they will tell you "if the oil is OK in your engine, it will be fine for our gearbox".

There is certainly no suggestion that one of the monograde oils is any less suitable than one of the multigrades so something like the Morris SAE 30 is absolutely fine.

I would like to think so, started by Percy Riley, who designed the engines and gearboxes for those wonderful pre-war Riley Cars. When Lord Nuffield bought Rileys 1938, Percy Riley parted company with them, but retained the engine an gearbox manufacturing element, naming his new company as Percy Riley Motors (PRM).

I would like to think so, started by Percy Riley, who designed the engines and gearboxes for those wonderful pre-war Riley Cars. When Lord Nuffield bought Rileys 1938, Percy Riley parted company with them, but retained the engine an gearbox manufacturing element, naming his new company as Percy Riley Motors (PRM).

I didn't know that, thank you. I'll never own the vintage Riley but at least I have a gearbox!