a funny question about mooring

TaffyRon

Featured Posts

Last week I moored on a bend, it had mooring rings and as I was mooring up a boat passed and I heard them say "great place to moor right on a bend" I still had my engine going and as they passed they said "are you going mate? Can we moor there?"

It made me chuckle but surely I was ok mooring there with rings?

It was a hire boat, was it snobbery? We did laugh, they turned out to be nice people who actually moored infront!!!!

It's more likely they wanted to moor there lol, the amount of hire boats I've seen moored in the middle of blind bends....

Lee.

TBF some of the worst inconsiderate mooring I've seen has been from private boats not hire boats.

On lock landings water points close to bridges for example

There's a really nice mooring on the T&M a bit south of Anderton which is on a long bend - plenty of rings and loads of room for passing boats. I'm just glad they knocked a few ring in here and there, especially when they've concreted over the towpath so yo can't get pins in.

It's not a good place to moor, because it will make the corner a lot harder for anyone with a 72', deep drafted boat; if the corner's tight, the stern end will be ideally a couple of feet from the outside bank, with the stern swinging round, but if there's 7' less width it's harder. Not impossible, mind, and not the end of the world; just one of the challenges people who choose to have longer and deeper boats have chosen to face.

But if there's rings there, it's the fault of whoever put them there, rather than people using them!

Edited by FadeToScarlet

I know the site South of Anderton where the concrete banks have been raised due to subsidence.

Not only is it a good place to moor and plenty of room,but to illustrate how much room there actually

is a 57 foot boat can wind opposite the bench!

I agree with most of the constructive comments already made - there is never an absolute right or wrong when boating - in this case I'd like to know if you were on a narrow or broad canal - if the latter and you left 1.5 narrowboat widths when moored on astraight section I'd find it hard to even get my 11.5ft wide broad beam past you . . . . so the answer to this and many other Qs on the cut - is did you think about the impact of what you are doing, and consider all circumstances???