which tv?

MATILDA BLUE

Featured Posts

Lovely New boat with self seeking satellite needs tv.

Can anyone recommend a good system?

Bemused by options......freesat box or freesat tv ?

Is Cello good for picture quality.

Grateful for any experiences shared.

Thanks....this is our first post!

Small budget TV's have always had dreadful sound quality, although a little better than the present day skinny sets, even when they were B/W tube sets with a single squeaker, and not just because of the small cabinet not assisting to improve the sound but just rotten cheap little squeakers. Many claim these days to have two of these little blighters in em and some claim that they can produce stereo sound too 'larf'. Well I say chuck one away, I'd rather have a better quality sound from a single mono speaker than two horrid ear shattering twin squeakers. For the sake of the set costing about an extra £ a decent speaker could be fitted.

Just bought an Avtex and very pleased with it. Quite expensive but it has built-in Sat tuner, Freeview tuner, DVD, etc and draws very low power. Sound quality isn't bad either for such small speakers.

We also have an Avtex 12v tv/dvd. Got it from Midland Chandlers a few years ago when their Freaky Friday sale was on.

Steve

Steve

I have three (!!) LG 24" TV's / computer monitors (one on t'boat and two on my home computers) I think they're great as you can plug all sorts of kit into them. Picture quality and sound is OK for me - but on the boat perhaps a bit more volume would be great.

If the self seeking sat thingy does not have a converter built in, then I would humbly suggest that you get a Freeview tv ('cos they're cheaper (??) and a separate freesat recorder - if you can fit two downleads or a freesat receiver if not.

With that sort of setup you have a fall back to Freeview in 'emergencies' coupled with the possibility of recording one channel while watching another. We do that a lot.

I have a Cello too. 22" only 17 watts. Picture OK but as with most small t.v.s; terrible sound quality.

I too have a cello 22". The sound is terrible. Bought a speaker system, very small, from ACDC on line for about £16. Makes one hell of a difference in viewing pleasure. No, really. Worth the investment.

Martyn

Edit just to say 'elephant'. That's the name on the speakers.

Edited by Nightwatch

I too have a cello 22". The sound is terrible. Bought a speaker system, very small, from ACDC on line for about £16. Makes one hell of a difference in viewing pleasure. No, really. Worth the investment.

Martyn

Edit just to say 'elephant'. That's the name on the speakers.

Great stuff. I'd like to improve the sound myself but have to admit zero knowledge in this area. Do they just plug into the Cello t.v. somewhere? Do the speakers need their own power supply? 12v or 240v? how much power do they draw?

Richard10002 mine is 240v I think generally tvs 21" upwards tend to be diret mains in and those below 22" usually have a converter lead thus enabling 12v dc to be used.

When out boating I do not usually bother with TV

Great stuff. I'd like to improve the sound myself but have to admit zero knowledge in this area. Do they just plug into the Cello t.v. somewhere? Do the speakers need their own power supply? 12v or 240v? how much power do they draw?

the speakers plug in via the USB point and the headphone socket. No idea what power they draw. The telly powers them.

They are quite good. Not cinema quality. There is a bass knob and volume knob. Full base is too much for the boat and indeed so is the volume.http://www.acdctv.co.uk/shop/accessories/2-1-usb-powered-speakers/

Have a look at them. But, I can't be held responsible if you think there're not up to the job. If you see what I mean.

Martyn

Edit. Just been online to acdctv site. The speakers I now remember we're on offer when I bought them. They are now just under thirty English pound notes.. Sorry I misled you. I would still give them a go. Check ebay as well. They have an account on there which is where I bought the telly from.

Edited by Nightwatch

I have had 2 cello TV's, first a 15 inch version that lasted 3 months until it died as a tartan effect screen would appear but no picture. The seller on Amazon upgraded it for free to a 22inch version as had no 15 inch versions and just over a year (out of warranty) it started to play up. If you changed channel the channel would change but then freeze as a black screen, the same using the volume. It would drive me mad as each time you had to unplug it from the mains and try again. It did this for about a month and touch wood has been working fine for the past few months. I personally feel a 1 year warranty on a tv that costs over £200 is poor.

The TV's has always been used on mains, so couldn't be an unstable voltage. I find the sound and picture quality good.

My favourite tv though is my Nan's 37 inch sony bravia that's about 5 years old and still works perfectly.

When this one dies I will probably go for a 240 volt tv as mostly Marina based.

Jamescheers.gif

Edited by canals are us?

Samsung 32" brilliant.

Another vote for Samsung. Although my 32" smart LED version is now three years old I haven't seen one of the same size with a better HD picture, and for just 40 watts consumption.