Which fish can I eat?

Jez Walsh

Featured Posts

And on a related note, chicken nuggets bother me. Which bit of a chicken are they?

Bernard Mathews may be able to tell you exactly which precious dangly bit they represent, but I think I may be correct in assuming the majority nowadays to be 'faux-nuggets' which are made of reconstituted beaks and feet.

Oh yes. Cumberland and caramelised onion. My best is apple n pork

I see what is in food and think yuk. But I still est it like cheap chicken nuggets

Oh yes. Cumberland

The trouble is true Cumbreland sausage is virtually unobtainable out side the county. It is about an inch to an inch and a half thick not in links and definitely not in the silly whirls that seem to be the norm for what people think is Cumberland Sausage.

They are also herbier and slightly more spiced than their pale whirly imitations.

EDIT for fat fingers.

Edited by Jerra

The trouble is true Cumbreland sausage is virtually unobtainable out side the county. It is about an inch to an inch and a half thick not in links and definitely not in the silly whirls that seem to be the norm for what people think is Cumberland Sausage.

They are also herbier and slightly more spiced than their pale whirly imitations.

EDIT for fat fingers.

Maybe it takes a Cumbrian to make a proper Cumberland Sosidge, like Cornish Pasties need a Cornish person and Hot Pot needs a Lancashireien. lol

Mtb, are you going to tell us you use to work in a Sosidge Factory now ? come on tell us we will be gentle.detective.gif

Maybe it takes a Cumbrian to make a proper Cumberland Sosidge, like Cornish Pasties need a Cornish person and Hot Pot needs a Lancashireien. lol

Mtb, are you going to tell us you use to work in a Sosidge Factory now ? come on tell us we will be gentle.detective.gif

No but I DID spend a day plucking turkeys one xmas.

I was shocked to find:

1) It took me an hour to pluck one whist the regulars there were taking in five minutes

2) We had to catch and slaughter each turkey before we could start plucking it!

We had to catch and slaughter each turkey before we could start plucking it!

I should think so too. Plucking a live turkey would be cruel.

We hear this going on each mid-December, as the butcher's shop next door keeps their growing turkeys in the field behind our house. At that time of year, we hear stereo left-to-right channel "gobble gobble gobble" as Tom the butcher's son and his friends chase after them and gradually eliminate them. This is of course followed by right-to-left channel gobbling.

I reckon that the last one to survive each year should be rewarded by being kept as a pet until the following December.

Oh, and the only meat content in their sausages is pork shoulder.

I should think so too. Plucking a live turkey would be cruel.

Yes I naïvely imagined someone else would have slaughtered them prior to the plucking process!

Oh, and the only meat content in their sausages is pork shoulder.

That's what they tell you is it? laugh.png

I bet they occasionally succumb to the temptation to bung in a few bits of dross that they wouldn't want to put on display on their meat counter!

But this doesn't arise with the reeeally cheap sosidges. They don't contain any meat at all. Only bread and ground up skin, fat, brains, testicles, etc I suspect.

But this doesn't arise with the reeeally cheap sosidges. They don't contain any meat at all. Only bread and ground up skin, fat, brains, testicles, etc I suspect.

Folk eat that in whole. I eat bread. Skin. Fat. Brains I believe are much like heart. I love heart.

No but I DID spend a day plucking turkeys one xmas.

I was shocked to find:

1) It took me an hour to pluck one whist the regulars there were taking in five minutes

2) We had to catch and slaughter each turkey before we could start plucking it!

Your braver than me Mtb, i could never slaughter anything, i guess what we dont see we dont know.

gives me shivers thinking about it.

Folk eat that in whole. I eat bread. Skin. Fat. Brains I believe are much like heart. I love heart.

sick.gif I just put my richmond sosidge butty down while vomiting perfusely lol sick.gif

I like the sound of Cider Sosidges, mmmmm

Yes I naïvely imagined someone else would have slaughtered them prior to the plucking process!

That's what they tell you is it? laugh.png

Yes, and the same goes for their pork pies which are amongst the best I have ever tasted (the sausages are way above average too).

Yes, and the same goes for their pork pies which are amongst the best I have ever tasted (the sausages are way above average too).

I bought a posh-looking and very expensive pork pie a while ago in a place I won't name. Although the crust was delish, the meat inside was the same grey paste you get in cheapo pork pies. No jelly either. Disappointing. I was expecting a proper meat filling as you describe. I didn't eat it.

Then yesterday on a whim I called in at the farm shop at Stratfield Saye (Duke of Wellington's gaff near me) for some bread, and I took a chance and bought one of their excellent-looking pork and apple pies. It was truly excellent and just as you describe, filled with real meat and tasty jelly. I was most impressed!!

As backup, in case the pork pie was horrid, I also bought one of their "Homemade potato leekand garlic+herb cheese" pasties. That was truly excellent too. I highly recommend their pie products. What a welcome change from the fare usually sold at high prices in these sorts of places.