Which fish can I eat?

Jez Walsh

Featured Posts

Grayling too are classed as game fish, IIRC

Quite correct Mike. The lady of the stream is also a game fish. Rather partial to a "pheasant tailed nymph" IIRC.

ETA stream as Mark99 is quite correct.

Edited by Mutts

Tripes lovely fresh from the market take it home put it in fridge to get nice n cold then totally drownd it in vinegar salt n pepper and some bread n butter to dip up the juice mmmmmmmmm lurrrrvly. It has to be honeycomb tho cos the bit they call seam is vile.

Iv not had it for years tho.

I couldnt even stomach trying the cooked tripe n onion thing and noway is try eel

Tripes lovely fresh from the market take it home put it in fridge to get nice n cold then totally drownd it in vinegar salt n pepper and some bread n butter to dip up the juice mmmmmmmmm lurrrrvly. It has to be honeycomb tho cos the bit they call seam is vile.

Iv not had it for years tho.

I couldnt even stomach trying the cooked tripe n onion thing and noway is try eel

Is tripe a fish? has it got an adipose fin?

Edited by mark99

No its the belly lining of a cow. I dont know what an adipose fin is lol

You have us all puzzled. This is a thread about eating fish!!

Plenty of Zander in parts of the Oxford Canal.

Most likely in the two riverised sections. IIRC zander don't really thrive in static water.

And yes I was under the impression they were here earlier than you first said. I can remember reading about them in books and going out half-hoping to catch one as a kid. I wouldn't have expected to unless my angling book(s) said there was a population in the waters I fished (Thames and Wey in particular, probably).

Edited by Mike the Boilerman

Oooopps sorry then it could quite possibly be the cider but i was seen sumert bout tripe n answrred that ... ok in keepin with the fish topic.

Fella thinks wel be eating fish hes cort when we have our boat im thinking get stuffed only fish il be trying is with batter on from the local chippy (is that ok? Do i fit into the thred now?) ??

'Sea bream' is also an incorrect term. In the U.K. we have black bream mainly, occasional red bream and gilt head bream. I suppose black bream doesn't sound as nice as sea bream.

I have caught huge bags of 2lb Bream in freshwater lakes and rivers and I always released them; the general opinion was that they were not good eating. Maybe there is a recipe for freshwater Bream, much as there is for Carp, Pike, Perch etc?

I have also caught a few Bream in salt water (Solent). They were very tasty but I have no idea if they were black, red or gilt head! 'Sea Bream' is a necessary, common term to include all the salt water Bream and distinguish them from the same-named freshwater fish.

Alan

I have caught huge bags of 2lb Bream in freshwater lakes and rivers and I always released them; the general opinion was that they were not good eating. Maybe there is a recipe for freshwater Bream, much as there is for Carp, Pike, Perch etc?

I have also caught a few Bream in salt water (Solent). They were very tasty but I have no idea if they were black, red or gilt head! 'Sea Bream' is a necessary, common term to include all the salt water Bream and distinguish them from the same-named freshwater fish.

Alan

Bream and Chub - freshwater fish almost inedible.

I caught a 13.8oz bream once. Had loads over 10lb.

Bream and Chub - freshwater fish almost inedible.

I caught a 13.8oz bream once. Had loads over 10lb.

The French eat bream but I don't know any nation that eats chub!

I've eaten black bream, very nice. I've never eaten sea bream, they don't exist.

If they have an adipose fin they are game fish.

I always wondered what made a fish a game fish. An interesting definition which means any member of the cyprinoidea is a game fish. This then will include a number of catfish and loaches.

Am I correct?

The French eat bream but I don't know any nation that eats chub!

I've eaten black bream, very nice. I've never eaten sea bream, they don't exist.

As I've said before, I know nothing about Fish or Fishing, I even have to ask others what is caught !,

I just googled 'Sea Bream' & was flooded with recipes. Not bad for something that doesn't exist !. Infact if that is the case, you could take the likes of Waitrose and Tesco to court and earn a few bob, as they sell and promote recipes for Sea Bream.

Edited by Paul's Nulife4-2

You have us all puzzled. This is a thread about eating fish!!

Most likely in the two riverised sections. IIRC zander don't really thrive in static water.

And yes I was under the impression they were here earlier than you first said. I can remember reading about them in books and going out half-hoping to catch one as a kid. I wouldn't have expected to unless my angling book(s) said there was a population in the waters I fished (Thames and Wey in particular, probably).

I have seen chaps taking Zander on 'our stretch' mate.

Had Zander in France once, delicious!

The Ashby holds them too.

Cheers Bill

Edited by BD3Bill

I always wondered what made a fish a game fish. An interesting definition which means any member of the cyprinoidea is a game fish. This then will include a number of catfish and loaches.

Am I correct?

There is no definite/strict definition of game fish and definition varies from country to country and it does include catfish strictly speaking which are not "game fish" in the sense they not are hunted with a fly for the pan. Generally game fish in UK are taken as those freshwater species species which are taken on a fly and have an adipose. It's more like a general category used by fisherman but the definition does not stand up to logical scrutiny; although widely used.

It's also a handy tag for tackle makers to add another zero on to the price of any tackle preceded by the work "game".

I've long suspected it's got a social root too in that gamekeepers via rich landowners protect the high value / high status good edible value of this handy classification "tag" of fish as distinct to "coarse" fish which are less "valuable".

Edited by mark99

Remove a large pike from its area and then the young pike will survive putting more pressure on the fish in that area .

Introduced problem fish I believe can be removed like Zander and American crayfish.

When fishing rivers like the Severn and the Humber then how does it become alright to take Salmon ,Cod ,Dabs etc. or does the wording tidal rivers change the rule ?

I believe the same problem occurs if you remove adult crayfish , it actually increases the population and so is illegal . But what about ducks , I have to restrain my Asian wife as she likes her poultry fresh . We have dined occasionally on ducks eggs though that we found in the hedgerows .

So what has caused the recent rapid decline in the eel population? Surely catching them commercially has all but died out.

MtB

Has anyone heard of the elver eating competitions held in some villages on the Severn . I saw one 20 years ago , pints of elvers washed down with pints of cider . I wouldn't like to have mowed the village green the day after !

Has anyone heard of the elver eating competitions held in some villages on the Severn . I saw one 20 years ago , pints of elvers washed down with pints of cider . I wouldn't like to have mowed the village green the day after !

http://www.gloucestercitizen.co.uk/Elver-eating-competition-returns-Frampton-Severn/story-26539696-detail/story.html

Some video here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f8t8FelqW0w

Probably technically illegal as birds, their nests and eggs (for most species) are protected by the Wildlife and Countryside Act.

yes don't get me wrong we didn't rob nests , just found the occasional egg by the side of the cut , once right by the gangplank , an early morning delivery , better than the milkman .

Edited by mudslide

yes don't get me wrong we didn't rob nests , just found the occasional egg by the side of the cut , once right by the gangplank , an early morning delivery , better than the milkman .

It doesn't IIRC say the eggs have to be in a nest hence my comment that it is probably technically illegal. I think it is a catch all sort of phrase introduced to prevent egg collectors claiming "I found under a hedge" when they were discovered/caught with an egg.