Which fish can I eat?

Jez Walsh

Featured Posts

So you don't believe in the ecological principle of things evolving into their own niche within the ecosystem? Zander either don't have their own niche and so will be harmful in the long run or they will displace something from its niche.

With regard to Carp they have been in the UK ecology long enought to have either done all the harm they are likely to do (and either drastically reduced some species or even made them extinct) or they have displaced something to take over a niche. As they have been part of our biodiversity for so long it will be impossible to know which and/or what has been effected.

Within my own half lifetime of fishing the introduction of carp has definitely led to the demise of crucian carp. These used to be common, found in almost every pond, but are now rare. Tench still thrive in some waters but not so in waters heavily stocked with carp. Rudd are also less common, but it's difficult to say whether this is down to the introduction of carp.

Just like Pike to catch, i would rather put them back though. good game fish IMO, all fish are game to me.

Isn't it illegal to return them to the wild just as it is illegal to release a Grey squirrel if you happen to catch one?

Isn't it illegal to return them to the wild just as it is illegal to release a Grey squirrel if you happen to catch one?

As I understand it, it is illegal under the Wildlife and Countryside Act to return zander to rivers, along with other non native species like catfish.

But Mark99, or someone earlier was saying the Oxford was totally stuffed with zander!

There is a canal near me that is stuffed, well was stuffed with Pike, and loads of double figure ones, i had 6 in one day alone of the double figure and countless jacks. every body put them back, the canal was also stuffed with roach and tench and perch of all sizes, and dam good fish. I never and many did see reason to kill them. Zander may not be native and they are not running riot IMO killing off other native fish, i just class them a spike.

Onc ei am afloat i think i will be down for a dabble on the Oxford if they are so many, amy good sizes in?

I am not sure but i always return all my fish and will do, there have been many fishing programs on telly where they catch Zander and all are returned, not sure what area now, one was the Fens i think.

If you read the small print, the club who has rights to a water can say you can't remove any fish whatsoever, and nearly always do. In the case of canals, the majority come under the ruling of one club or another, so unless you're absolutely certain it's not "owned", it almost certainly is. They can also tell you what baits you can/can't use, whether keep nets may be employed, barbless hooks are compulsory, unhooking mats must be carried and a host of other demands.

You may think no one sees or cares what you do on miles of canal, especially in remote rural areas, but ironically the only time I've been approached and told in no uncertain terms to pay an annual club membership or pack up immediately in nearly five decades of angling, was on a quiet stretch of the Shropshire Union that I was confident was free. It wasn't.

I'd urge caution about removing fish from anywhere unless you are confident of your ground, and even more so about moving fish from one place to another (e.g. livebaits), the fines can be expensive!

I am not sure but i always return all my fish and will do, there have been many fishing programs on telly where they catch Zander and all are returned, not sure what area now, one was the Fens i think.

I am afraid I wouldn't use TV as a guide. It is illegal to carry passengers in a caravan while it is being towed but a programme just before the election showed an interview being carried on in a TV.

From a govt doc "Guidance on section 14 of the Wildlife and Countryside Act, 1981"

7. With respect to the release of animals section 14(1) states:
(1) Subject to the provisions of this Part, if any person releases or allows toescape into the wild any animal which -
(a) is of a kind which is not ordinarily resident in and is not a regular visitor to Great Britain in a wild state; or
(cool.png is included in Part I of Schedule 9, he shall be guilty of an offence.
Zander are listed in Part !
EDIT: The daft smiley should be a B in brackets.
Edited by Jerra

is of a kind which is not ordinarily resident in and is not a regular visitor to Great Britain in a wild state;

Blimey, that would include most of the stocked carp being removed as alien visitors, as well as ghost carp, grass carp, rainbow trout, pumpkinseed, goldfish and plenty of others. Not sure how much clout that would have with a fishery owner.

Blimey, that would include most of the stocked carp being removed as alien visitors, as well as ghost carp, grass carp, rainbow trout, pumpkinseed, goldfish and plenty of others. Not sure how much clout that would have with a fishery owner.

I haven't heard of any prosecutions with regard to fish but prosecutions do take place on other parts of the WIldlife and Countryside act.

It is a bit like say speed limit I don't know how much clout that would have with a fisheries owner. It just happens to be the law of the land. I know lots fo people break the speed limit just as lots probably break the Wildlife and Countryside Act but to pass it off as not hving much clout with the law breakers seems a bit strange.

Do you normally pick and choose which laws you will abide by?

But Mark99, or someone earlier was saying the Oxford was totally stuffed with zander!

Not me...... certain spots are but not all through. The more North you go the better. I've heard of Zander caught at Cropredy however.

They don't like light hence are caught in low light conditions and/or coloured water.

Just before or after dark with a small freshwater deadbait laid on the bottom (you can buy these in tackle shops). Use a wire trace in case you get bitten off.

Always a good spot is near marinas or "features" when Zander can ambush prey.

I would certainly think Gregs place would be attractive to Zander. Plenty of features. Cast right up to a neighbours static boat for instance (cover and dark).

I'm not sure if there are signals crayfish in there..... if there are you could be in for lots of fun/food/twitches on you float as they attack the deadbait.

Edited by mark99

I haven't heard of any prosecutions with regard to fish but prosecutions do take place on other parts of the WIldlife and Countryside act.

It is a bit like say speed limit I don't know how much clout that would have with a fisheries owner. It just happens to be the law of the land. I know lots fo people break the speed limit just as lots probably break the Wildlife and Countryside Act but to pass it off as not hving much clout with the law breakers seems a bit strange.

Do you normally pick and choose which laws you will abide by?

You're absolutely right, thank you for correcting me. If you removed carp of foreign origin worth several hundred pounds from a fishery, nothing would happen as you walked away with them.

My understanding is that the laws on fish removal apply to rivers/public waterways.

Private fisheries operate differently and can set their own rules on catch and release, and their stock is their property. They can also stock non native species subject to the relevant licences and approvals.

My understanding is that the laws on fish removal apply to rivers/public waterways.

Private fisheries operate differently and can set their own rules on catch and release, and their stock is their property. They can also stock non native species subject to the relevant licences and approvals.

That's my understanding, also. The fact is there's a gap between law, custom and practice. UK anglers by and large return fish that are not stocked artificially, and many that are, from wherever they are caught. Given the devastating effects of the industrial revolution on rivers, it's remarkable there are any fish still in them. That there are is largely down to the tradition of catch and return.

After all the talk of this removing fish and keeping them to eat. I cant understand why you would want to. Fish from canals will taste crap adwrll as lodges etc.

Surely if you want to eat fish then go buy some. Will tatse even if farmed.

These gobshites frpm over seas who ate here rsofing our wstet for there dinner must have no taiste buds.. the carp, pike will be awfull. The cansda geese and swans they catch and eat will taste good I would think tho.

Only fish I can think will be good are real game fish and eel. Although now you cant keep them as to yrars ago. They were dam good eating.

Providing the fish can't escape into the wild of course.

After all the talk of this removing fish and keeping them to eat. I cant understand why you would want to. Fish from canals will taste crap adwrll as lodges etc.

Surely if you want to eat fish then go buy some. Will tatse even if farmed.

These gobshites frpm over seas who ate here rsofing our wstet for there dinner must have no taiste buds.. the carp, pike will be awfull. The cansda geese and swans they catch and eat will taste good I would think tho.

Only fish I can think will be good are real game fish and eel. Although now you cant keep them as to yrars ago. They were dam good eating.

A touch of typoglycemia this morning W+T? :)

Here is the classic example:

"I cdn'uolt blveiee taht I cluod aulaclty uesdnatnrd waht I was rdanieg: the phaonmneel pweor of the hmuan mnid. Aoccdrnig to a rseearch taem at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoatnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be in the rghit pclae. The rset can be a taotl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit a porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe. Scuh a cdonition is arppoiatrely cllaed Typoglycemia .

"Amzanig huh? Yaeh and you awlyas thguoht slpeling was ipmorantt."

Very amusing eh?!

It shows intelligence if you can read it :)

not easy when you are tired and eyes are knackered lol. i give up at times when using my phone.

We have a lake near us, 2 years ago some Polish people were arrested for removing vast amounts of Carp at Christmas,

i hear it tastes of mud too not that ive tried it.

I suppose Carp is Polish Cod, nothing wrong with that at all its just it was illegal.

Hi there. I started fishing a few months ago. I mainly fish in canals and was wondering if any of the fish I catch are any good for eating? I've heard pike is good.

Most of the fish belong to someone, more especially not you. Some areas are so fed up of people poaching their fish stocks there are signs to report removal of fish to 999 theft in progress