canal trust making people homeless

CaptainBirdseye

Featured Posts

Quite right too, in my opinion.

Martyn

Just to clarify exactly what you are in agreement with, are you saying that it is 'quite right' that you can now be made a criminal for squatting in an empty property or are you agreeing that squatting was "...one of the greatest civil freedoms of this country..."? If the former then you are supporting moneyed people, often from abroad who will buy up property in the UK, Bishops Avenue in London N2 being a good example, with no intention of ever living there merely to invest in a property portfolio which will increase in value by more than most of the UK population earn in a year. Personally I am more than happy to see these types of property 'invaded' by squatters since property is to live in, not a cash cow to earn loads of tax free money. I should add that I speak as a property owner. Squatting in an occupied property has been an offence for years and the 'displaced residential occupier' can call on the police to assist them to remove squatters who have move in whilst they are on holiday, etc. The recent legislation was a vindictive attempt to please the moneyed classes.

Can the trust refuse to licence your boat if you have been in debt with them before ?

I would think that provided you have settled all outstanding accounts with CRT and agree not to breach the rules again I would think that you would be accepted by them, particularly given the palaver that has been going on at Pilings Lock Marina over the past year or so which now seems to be resolved (I think, unless anyone knows better!).

Do you think the trust has any responsibility for the thousands of people that live on its waters, or should a live aboard boater who is having a tough time paying the licence or other issues be prosecuted without mercy by a charitable trust ?

Which is what they are doing by what ive heard.

I don't condone squatting by the way.

Strictly speaking, it's a charitable trust to look after the waterways, not the people that use them. It's status as a charity doesn't mean that it has to be charitable towards anything or anyone outside of its remit.

In my opinion therefore, the financial difficulties of individuals are not their responsibility, and to assume that responsibility merely adds to their costs, and ultimately the costs of those who do pay the licence. So in other words what you're really asking is, are paying waterways users responsible for those who can't afford to pay?

That's not to say that those with financial troubles should be dismissed, on the contrary, simply that there are other agencies designed for such purposes, funded by the wider community, and not the relatively smaller number of waterways users. A liveaboard boater, who is having financial problems, should therefore contact the relevant agencies who may be able to help, rather than allowing outstanding bills to accrue and hoping they wont be expected to pay them.

I believe that it's right, in a caring society, that people are helped when they face unexpected financial hardship, but do feel they have some responsibility to pro actively seek that help, from the right sources, rather than do nothing and then expect others to unravel the subsequent mess.

• Greenie 1

Quite right too, in my opinion.

Martyn

Absolutely. Squatting was and is effectively stealing a building from its rightful owner.

ETA, reading other posts supporting it in some cases, the foreign owners mentioned should, in a perfect world, be willing to rent the properties out, so increasing their income while the property accrued value. Moving in without even making the offer to pay rent, though, is still theft.

Edited by John Williamson 1955

Absolutely. Squatting was and is effectively stealing a building from its rightful owner.

ETA, reading other posts supporting it in some cases, the foreign owners mentioned should, in a perfect world, be willing to rent the properties out, so increasing their income while the property accrued value. Moving in without even making the offer to pay rent, though, is still theft.

I think that you'll find that squatting wasn't Theft otherwise the Government would not have had to bring in legislation criminalising it since theft has always been an offence. This is not unfortunately an ideal world and the foreign owners that I spoke of don't need to rent the property out since a) they are wealthy enough so don't need the money and b)in London the property is earning more than most Londoners earn just by sitting empty, that is where the problem lies. The property market in London is a classic example of the market economy NOT working since property owners can literally ask whatever they want in rent because it makes little difference to them whether anyone takes them up on their ludicrous rents or not since the property itself is constantly increasing in 'value'. Even as a property owner myself I would be more than content to see a total property price crash back down to sensible levels except it would probably be the 'little people' who would get hurt the most.

Rant now over mad.gif but to return to the subject of the original post, it is not the role of CRT to try to fix the wrecked UK housing market, that is for other agencies and a competent Government (as if!!dry.png ). I can imagine how people on this board would react if CRT were to say, "So that we can cover for the losses we incur by people being unable to pay their Licence Fee, those of you who are able to pay for your Licence will have to subscribe to an additional fund", I don't think the response would be pretty!

Edited by Wanderer Vagabond

When you request a licence it has conditions, if you don't meet the conditions they can refuse a licence . It's very transparent and the charity is a complete irrelevance . They are and have always been a business. Rebranding as a charity simply enabled more funding options. If I don't pay my mortgage I loose my home, if I don't pay my council tax ditto. In the 80s when we were struggling our first payment was our boat licence second our insurance and thereafter everything else.

• Greenie 2

Under no circumstances should CaRT offer what is effect a free licence to any boat using the waterways that they control. The future of the waterways is uncertain enough,without having to carry additional burdens.Most people who live on their boat make a lifestyle choice .People being forced to live on a boat because of housing pressures may not be boaters through choice. The fact that Cart have defacto become a housing authority worries me.

Go and talk to some bread line live aboard boaters. I doubt you'll see many on here. ...think yourself lucky and privileged..

Go and talk to some bread line live aboard boaters. I doubt you'll see many on here. ...think yourself lucky and privileged..

I do think that way, and I am sure that I'm not the only one on here who feels lucky. But I fail to see how that has anything to do with whether people who don't pay their boat licence should be allowed to continue keeping their boats on the canals.

Do you think the trust has any responsibility for the thousands of people that live on its waters, or should a live aboard boater who is having a tough time paying the licence or other issues be prosecuted without mercy by a charitable trust ?

Which is what they are doing by what ive heard.

I don't condone squatting by the way.

I suggest you read the Waterways Infrastructure Trust Settlement section 2.2.5 (a) which outlines what government expects of the Trust.

We probably fall into the breadline class because as pensioners our income is somewhat restricted, in fact though my wife is 65 she does not get her pension for almost another 5 years (because the government moved the goalposts)

We manage, cut your coat according to your cloth springs to mind, as I posted earlier there is plenty of readily available financial help out there. Said help is not always easy to get, you have to put in a bit of effort but it is there.

Phil

Our boat is licenced, insured and has a new BSS.

I do think that way, and I am sure that I'm not the only one on here who feels lucky. But I fail to see how that has anything to do with whether people who don't pay their boat licence should be allowed to continue keeping their boats on the canals.

...I agree if they are piss takers but not everyone is...That's why someone needs to talk to the individuals to assess their situation. I'm glad CRT are hiring someone to do this as it shows there is a caring element.

... my wife is 65 she does not get her pension for almost another 5 years (because the government moved the goalposts).

If your wife is already at pensionable age I'm surprised that she can't get a pension until she's 70. It might be worth checking this as my OH can claim here pension next year when she is nearly 63.

We probably fall into the breadline class because as pensioners our income is somewhat restricted, in fact though my wife is 65 she does not get her pension for almost another 5 years (because the government moved the goalposts)

Rather surprised at this I turn 65 next month and have received conformation of my State Pension first payment will be made 17 November and then every 4 weeks is there any special reason why she will not get her pension?

John, females have got their pension at age 60 for years, but the government is moving to bring the genders into line. If you are already over a certain age (as you are) it won't affect you. I think that fairly soon the pensionable age is rising to 66 for both genders.

Surprised about Phil's wife's situation though.

John, females have got their pension at age 60 for years, but the government is moving to bring the genders into line. If you are already over a certain age (as you are) it won't affect you. I think that fairly soon the pensionable age is rising to 66 for both genders.

If she is already over 65 she will have already been claiming state pension for a while provided she knows about it...

Yes I knew that I was just surprised like you about Phil as his wife is already at pensionable age. I have to add it was a pleasant surprise when I saw the amount so pleased I continued to pay my contributions when I was working and living abroad

We manage, cut your coat according to your cloth springs to mind, as I posted earlier there is plenty of readily available financial help out there. Said help is not always easy to get, you have to put in a bit of effort but it is there.

Phil

Our situation is not dissimilar to your's Phil. We live on my state pension plus some savings.

What we have found is that there may be help out there but the delays when you try and get it are truly disgusting.

My wife (not yet pensionable age) was taken critically ill at Christmas, she is improving, slowly. the expected recovery time is estimated by the doctors is in the order of two years. We are receiving daily helper visits (council funded) plus physio and occupational therapy (NHS).We applied for PIPS to help with all the extra costs involved............ We are still waiting medical assessment, fortunate my savings have been sufficient to support the extra cost, what I would have done if it were not so ........I don't know

Our situation is not dissimilar to your's Phil. We live on my state pension plus some savings.

What we have found is that there may be help out there but the delays when you try and get it are truly disgusting.

My wife (not yet pensionable age) was taken critically ill at Christmas, she is improving, slowly. the expected recovery time is estimated by the doctors is in the order of two years. We are receiving daily helper visits (council funded) plus physio and occupational therapy (NHS).We applied for PIPS to help with all the extra costs involved............ We are still waiting medical assessment, fortunate my savings have been sufficient to support the extra cost, what I would have done if it were not so ........I don't know

yes this is the problem for many especially for CCers trying to get HB

You get the feeling that they think if they delay long enough she will be recovered enough so that they will be able to say "you don't need help"

By then, they could (thank God) be right but if the assessment had been three months ago, or even three weeks ago, the situation was very different.

o

Handy calculator - fill in your birth date and it tells you when, and at what age, you get you pension

http://www.pensionsadvisoryservice.org.uk/state-pensions/know-your-state-pension-age?

Looking at that Phil's wife would have been eligible for state pension in 2009

Have to add not sure how it works for married couples

You get the feeling that they think if they delay long enough she will be recovered enough so that they will be able to say "you don't need help"

By then, they could (thank God) be right but if the assessment had been three months ago, or even three weeks ago, the situation was very different.

Have you been in touch with your local MP best to go to one of his/her local surgeries

Have you been in touch with your local MP best to go to one of his/her local surgeries

Age Concern are actively chasing DHS....they keep getting .....your case has been passed to the contractors who deal with assessing......

and from the contractor ....the current waiting list for medical assessment is......(without going and getting the file.... from memory 35 weeks)

Rather surprised at this I turn 65 next month and have received conformation of my State Pension first payment will be made 17 November and then every 4 weeks is there any special reason why she will not get her pension?

Yes I knew that I was just surprised like you about Phil as his wife is already at pensionable age. I have to add it was a pleasant surprise when I saw the amount so pleased I continued to pay my contributions when I was working and living abroad

A lot depends on the lady's date of birth, for example:

I was born in 1953 so get my pension at 65 (2018), but my wife was born in 1955 and won't get her's until she is 63 (also 2018). If she had been born a year later it would have been at 2020.

Currently most younger workers of both sexes now will not get their pensions until they are 67 and the present Government would like to move that until the 70th birthday.