Moorings at 3 locks

bigcol

Featured Posts

OK look if anyone is hugging my BSP it is under strictly controlled conditions, no snoging and a time limit of 15 seconds

Your joking of course, how the hell is anyone supposed to get at her boat!

She has a serious base camp! Impregnable almost.

Snoging???!

MtB

The elocution lessons in Milton Keynes are cr#p.

cheers.gif

Can we all have one cheers.gif

Yes, absolutely, credit where it's due. His PR is phenomenal.

There are a few cracks appearing though, and not just on the coping stones..

He may not be doing what most people on here want all the time, but I must agree he is putting the time in. Met him at the AWCC rally and I was wondering what his wife must think. Sure seams like he is married to the job as well.

I've met Mrs Parry at a waterways function. Can't remember which one though. It seems she goes out with him at least some of the time.

It wasn't the IWA festival at Chester because that is the first occasion I met him.

Elsewhere, it seems that Mr Perry is good at talking the talk, but then goes home and simply does as he likes.

(remember, a CEO is an appointed post, with a big salary. The only required skill for ANY CEO post is the ability to talk gobbledegook, and to know the right people. an actual knowledge or care of the business is not required. The business is run by the underpaid footsoldiers)

Anyway, I'm glad I'm not on a CRT canal anymore.

Edited by luctor et emergo

Elsewhere, it seems that Mr Perry is good at talking the talk, but then goes home and simply does as he likes.

(He is called Parry!)

I'm still prepared to try to believe that is not the case.

I do think he has struggled with the legacy of attitudes of many in the old BW organisation, and although he has managed to move a few on now, he clearly can't sack all those who are not keen to take CRT where he might like it to go, and start again with fresh blood.

Also there is, I think a strong element of what Steve has suggested - people who's current job roles are actually based around projects that many of us find very hard to defend.

I do think in this particular case, (i.e. Three Locks), Richard Parry has misjudged likely reaction by thinking it was OK to try and put something in place at the behest of one particular business, whilst ignoring what many of us have been pressing for, namely that such changes should only occur where adequate data has been gathered that supports the need.

If I genuinely thought he was spending so much time listening to what so many of us have to say, only to then go off and authorise what the hell he wanted to, I would consider us thoroughly without hope, and probably give up the struggle.

The reality is he is being pulled in every possible direction, and certainly what I am trying to influence him to do is probably often the absolute total opposite of what the local hire boat firm owner wants, or what a particular publican might be convinced by someone will help his trade along.

• Greenie 1

(He is called Parry!)

I do think he has struggled with the legacy of attitudes of many in the old BW organisation, and although he has managed to move a few on now, he clearly can't sack all those who are not keen to take CRT where he might like it to go, and start again with fresh blood.

Snip...

Either the Chief Executive Officer is in charge, and that is exactly what he is there to do, or the CEO is no more than am MP, and is simply a mouthpiece for those who really are in charge.

CRT is not a commercial business, looking to appease it's paying customers.

(He is called Parry!)

Of curiosity;

What is the size of this organisation we are talking about? Does anyone know? How many operational directors? Middle management? Admin staff? Front line workers? Departments? (Enforcement. Licensing. Marketing and PR. Moorings. Commercial boating. )

Is this written down on the web somewhere?

Of curiosity;

What is the size of this organisation we are talking about? Does anyone know? How many operational directors? Middle management? Admin staff? Front line workers? Departments? (Enforcement. Licensing. Marketing and PR. Moorings. Commercial boating. )

It'll be in their Annual Reviews and much of the info will also be on the Charity Commission's website

Of curiosity;

It'll be in their Annual Reviews and much of the info will also be on the Charity Commission's website

Of curiosity;

Link to CRT Trustees’ Annual Report and Accounts 2013/14 (large PDF document)

Employee numbers and costs are on page 82, (1,555 people at a cost of £55 million).

A breakdown by role is given....

Generating voluntary income 6

Generating income from leisure boating and utilities 178

Investment management 37

Waterway infrastructure maintenance and repair 1,084

Waterway regeneration and restoration 33

Museums and attractions 41

Governance 6

Support functions 170

Total number of persons 1,555

No doubt page 83 will fuel many of you up again, as it shows that around 65 are employed with salaries of more than £60K, (of which about 11 get more than £100K).

The executive team is listed on page 116, but these include Nigel Johnson who has gone, as well as Robin Evans (Richard Parry's predecessor).

As BSP suggests, it is not hard to find this kind of stuff out!

Can't see anyone responsible for Visitor Moorings in the 1555 employees so no wonder Richard Parry had to get involved in the decisions on the visitor moorings at 3 Locks................(:-

Maybe managing the maximum stay period at 3 locks wasn't considered a full time job back when the document was compiled....

MtB

Can't see anyone responsible for Visitor Moorings in the 1555 employees so no wonder Richard Parry had to get involved in the decisions on the visitor moorings at 3 Locks................(:-

Dean Davies, who is one of the 6 or 8, (didn't get chance to write them all down at the user group meeting), direct reports to Richard Parry is responsible for VMs.

Maybe managing the maximum stay period at 3 locks wasn't considered a full time job back when the document was compiled....

MtB

Dean Davies is head of customer relations and I did think he has a huge brief which includes VMs and Enforcement, both of which seem to be huge tasks. Both Dean and Richard were keen to emphasise that they didn't want to get caught up micro managing these issues. The problem seems to be that just listening to some people inflames others. Dean did say that mooring sites were to be locally monitored to discover actual usage. He didn't actually mention that the monitoring might be done by the pub landlord though.

Dean Davies is head of customer relations and I did think he has a huge brief which includes VMs and Enforcement, both of which seem to be huge tasks. Both Dean and Richard were keen to emphasise that they didn't want to get caught up micro managing these issues. The problem seems to be that just listening to some people inflames others. Dean did say that mooring sites were to be locally monitored to discover actual usage. He didn't actually mention that the monitoring might be done by the pub landlord though.

Edited to add that listening to those who aren't actually boating is never going to work for boaters.

(He is called Parry!)

Also there is, I think a strong element of what Steve has suggested - people who's current job roles are actually based around projects that many of us find very hard to defend.

I do think in this particular case, (i.e. Three Locks), Richard Parry has misjudged likely reaction by thinking it was OK to try and put something in place at the behest of one particular business, whilst ignoring what many of us have been pressing for, namely that such changes should only occur where adequate data has been gathered that supports the need.

If I genuinely thought he was spending so much time listening to what so many of us have to say, only to then go off and authorise what the hell he wanted to, I would consider us thoroughly without hope, and probably give up the struggle.

The reality is he is being pulled in every possible direction, and certainly what I am trying to influence him to do is probably often the absolute total opposite of what the local hire boat firm owner wants, or what a particular publican might be convinced by someone will help his trade along.

An excellent post Alan. I, too like to hope that the days of staff who had no interest in canals as such are over. I once met a civil engineer who used to work for BW who said exactly that when I started to enthuse about the waterways

I would also like to thank you for all your work on this issue, particularly as some have pointed out you rarely need to use moorings for longer than 48 hours at present. You have had more than your fair share of frustrations on this issue and I am very grateful to you for continuing plugging away.