More Aldi offers

Pete & Helen

Featured Posts

Boo, say no to short measures.

I'll have my metric pint at the full 568ml please.

Er, that's an imperial pint.

Yes, Kev, it is usually drunk from a pint glass but does not quite fill it. There are other furrin approximations of imperial measures around, such as the metric ton (2,000 kilograms), sometimes rather jarringly written in English as the "tonne".

Are you allergic to pony John?

As the poor chap had thrown the offending growler* up, he probably couldn't go for a pony, so any allergy problem was avoided.

* slang for a low-grade meat pie, presumably an allusion to the origin of its "meat" content.

There seems to be rather a lot of confusion above with metric to imperial measures an imperial pint is less than 500 mil and a metric ton is 1000 kilos I stand to be corrected but am pretty sure that's right as my I ton tipper old money now carry,s around a 1000 kilos and 1000 mil is 1 litre which equals 2.2 pints so 500 mil should be 1.1 pints I think that's right

There seems to be rather a lot of confusion above with metric to imperial measures an imperial pint is less than 500 mil and a metric ton is 1000 kilos I stand to be corrected but am pretty sure that's right as my I ton tipper old money now carry,s around a 1000 kilos and 1000 mil is 1 litre which equals 2.2 pints so 500 mil should be 1.1 pints I think that's right

Nope.

As per my earlier post a pint is 568ml.

Just in case this whole pint thing needs further clarification:

In the Imperial (basically British not US) system, a pint is 20 fluid ounces, i.e. the volume of 20 ounces of water, thus a pound of water being 16 ounces weighs 453g and a pint of water weighs 568g. Our ton is 20 cwt, each being 8 stone, each of which is 14lb, hence a ton is 2240lb. A US pint is 16 of their (slightly smaller) fluid ounces and thus somewhat less than the "metric pint".

In the metric system it's nice and simple, a litre is the volume of one kg of water, i.e. one ml weighs one gram.

A metric tonne is 1000kg and our ton is 2240 x 453g which is slightly heavier.

The above is for our everyday purposes, for example the density of water varies with temperature, so the scientists who need extreme accuracy use a more complicated definition, let's not go there.

As the poor chap had thrown the offending growler* up, he probably couldn't go for a pony, so any allergy problem was avoided.

* slang for a low-grade meat pie, presumably an allusion to the origin of its "meat" content.

There's another slang term for growler but that's probably best left to the virtual pub :-)

These go on sale today if anyone wants a stove thermometer of fire glass scraper.

K

https://www.aldi.co.uk/en/specialbuys/thursday-4-september/product-detail/ps/p/stove-pipe-thermometerglass-scraper/

. I do have the stove thermometer it's been on my woodburner for a couple of years and works fine nothing fancy but let's you know if your getting a bit to warm does what it says on the tin

1000 mil is 1 litre which equals 2.2 pints so 500 mil should be 1.1 pints I think that's right

Nope!

I litre is 1.75975 pints, not 2.2 pints, so you are quite seriously adrift.

I strongly suspect you are getting well mixed up with kilograms to UK lbs, (where the number is 2.20462).

Nope!

I litre is 1.75975 pints, not 2.2 pints, so you are quite seriously adrift.

I strongly suspect you are getting well mixed up with kilograms to UK lbs, (where the number is 2.20462).

Incidentally - has anyone else noticed some smaller shops and garages selling milk in 1l bottles but still charging the same price as 2 pints? Edited by gazza