Ashby Canal

Leo No2

Featured Posts

If there are no fish, there are no anglists to whine about 'angling rights and fish conservation'....

So the answer is to encourage our Eastern European friends to pay a visit with their "unconventional" angling methods?

George ex nb Alton retired

So the answer is to encourage our Eastern European friends to pay a visit with their "unconventional" angling methods?

well, if it makes the anglists go away, and leave the canal for floating boats, i'm all for it.

Posted by Sue Cawson on Facebook:

Begin forwarded message:

Date: 27 August 2014 10:22:46 BST
To: Sue Cawson <sue.cawson_thea@mac.com>
Subject: FW: Mooring restrictions at Shackerstone Festival

PRESS RELEASE

Issued: 26th August 2014

Mooring restrictions at Shackerstone Festival

In response to recent online speculation regarding mooring restrictions at Shackerstone Festival and a perceived threat to navigation on the Ashby Canal we would like to explain the discussions that have been taking place.

We were contacted by Natural England (NE) on 15 August asking for the imposition of certain conditions within the section of canal that is designated as a Site of Special Scientific Interest (SSSI) to prevent damage from the anticipated boat movements during the festival.

The main concern that NE have is to protect the aquatic plants which grow below the water surface in the shallows at the edges of the canal. The passage or mooring of boats in the shallows can damage these plants therefore NE had asked for boats to be single moored to prevent passing boats travelling too closely to the offside vegetation (which would not normally be disturbed by navigation).

As the guardian of the Ashby Canal we have a legal, and charitable, obligation to manage the SSSI in such a way that we preserve the canal’s ecology but we also have to balance that with our support for the festival and protecting the interests of our boating customers. We therefore held a meeting with NE on 21 August to discuss our concerns.

Following this meeting NE has agreed to the Trust’s suggestion to install 200m of temporary nico-spanning to protect the plants from wash thereby allowing double mooring in specific locations. We are confident that these measures will allow sufficient mooring space for the number of boats expected to attend but it may reduce the navigation to a single boat width in some places.

We can assure all boaters that there is no threat to navigation and no proposal to close the canal to boats. The canal was built for boats, and will continue to be enjoyed by boats, however we also have to recognise that it has become an important wildlife habitat – which is part of the canal’s appeal - and that we have to take a balanced approach.

We are working with the event organisers, Ashby Canal Association, who manage the moorings at the festival. We are encouraging all boaters wishing to attend to book in advance so that they can be allocated to a mooring length. This will help to manage where boats moor to prevent unnecessary disturbance and protect the SSSI.

We are very sorry that we’ve had to introduce these restrictions so close to the event. We’re working hard with Natural England and the Ashby Canal Association to ensure a successful festival whilst also protecting the valuable habitats which make the canal so special and popular.

ENDS

For further media requests please contact:
Stephen Hardy, communications manager, Canal & River Trust
t 01636 675703 m 07920 077190 e stephen.hardy@canalrivertrust.org.uk

Notes to editors:
The Canal & River Trust is the guardian of 2,000 miles of historic waterways across England and Wales. We are among the largest charities in the UK, maintaining the nation’s third largest collection of Listed structures, as well as museums, archives, navigations and hundreds of important wildlife sites.

We believe that our canals and rivers are a national treasure and a local haven for people and wildlife. It is our job to care for this wonderful legacy – holding it in trust for the nation in perpetuity and giving people a greater role in the running of their local waterways

www.canalrivertrust.org.uk

Stephen Hardy
Communications Manager
Canal & River Trust
01636 675703
07920 077190
@CRTStephen

Posted by Sue Cawson on Facebook:

Begin forwarded message:

Date: 27 August 2014 10:22:46 BST

To: Sue Cawson <sue.cawson_thea@mac.com>

Subject: FW: Mooring restrictions at Shackerstone Festival

PRESS RELEASE

Issued: 26th August 2014

Mooring restrictions at Shackerstone Festival

In response to recent online speculation regarding mooring restrictions at Shackerstone Festival and a perceived threat to navigation on the Ashby Canal we would like to explain the discussions that have been taking place.

We were contacted by Natural England (NE) on 15 August asking for the imposition of certain conditions within the section of canal that is designated as a Site of Special Scientific Interest (SSSI) to prevent damage from the anticipated boat movements during the festival.

The main concern that NE have is to protect the aquatic plants which grow below the water surface in the shallows at the edges of the canal. The passage or mooring of boats in the shallows can damage these plants therefore NE had asked for boats to be single moored to prevent passing boats travelling too closely to the offside vegetation (which would not normally be disturbed by navigation).

As the guardian of the Ashby Canal we have a legal, and charitable, obligation to manage the SSSI in such a way that we preserve the canal’s ecology but we also have to balance that with our support for the festival and protecting the interests of our boating customers. We therefore held a meeting with NE on 21 August to discuss our concerns.

Following this meeting NE has agreed to the Trust’s suggestion to install 200m of temporary nico-spanning to protect the plants from wash thereby allowing double mooring in specific locations. We are confident that these measures will allow sufficient mooring space for the number of boats expected to attend but it may reduce the navigation to a single boat width in some places.

We can assure all boaters that there is no threat to navigation and no proposal to close the canal to boats. The canal was built for boats, and will continue to be enjoyed by boats, however we also have to recognise that it has become an important wildlife habitat – which is part of the canal’s appeal - and that we have to take a balanced approach.

We are working with the event organisers, Ashby Canal Association, who manage the moorings at the festival. We are encouraging all boaters wishing to attend to book in advance so that they can be allocated to a mooring length. This will help to manage where boats moor to prevent unnecessary disturbance and protect the SSSI.

We are very sorry that we’ve had to introduce these restrictions so close to the event. We’re working hard with Natural England and the Ashby Canal Association to ensure a successful festival whilst also protecting the valuable habitats which make the canal so special and popular.

ENDS

For further media requests please contact:

Stephen Hardy, communications manager, Canal & River Trust

t 01636 675703 m 07920 077190 e stephen.hardy@canalrivertrust.org.uk

Notes to editors:

The Canal & River Trust is the guardian of 2,000 miles of historic waterways across England and Wales. We are among the largest charities in the UK, maintaining the nation’s third largest collection of Listed structures, as well as museums, archives, navigations and hundreds of important wildlife sites.

We believe that our canals and rivers are a national treasure and a local haven for people and wildlife. It is our job to care for this wonderful legacy – holding it in trust for the nation in perpetuity and giving people a greater role in the running of their local waterways

www.canalrivertrust.org.uk

Stephen Hardy

Communications Manager

Canal & River Trust

01636 675703

07920 077190

@CRTStephen

I love the confidence of CRT. 200m equates to less than 10 additional full length boats. On top of the original allowance, by my reckoning there will be at least 100 disappointed boaters. I sincerely hope I am wrong.

When I went to Shakerstone. A couple of years ago it was very busy with many boats breasted up , the latest note from the organisers suggests that boaters moor quite a way away and drive to the festival.

They state if you do not observe these new restrictions you will be moved on. I wonder given the time it takes CRT to start the S8 process how you would be moved on before the festival was over. Perhaps there is a new enforcement process we are not aware off

I am sure the organisers HAVE to say this or they would be seen as being complicit in any disobedience by boaters. I am also sure they are well aware that obedience this year means the festival is finished. Equally, disobedience will mean the Natural England, ably supported by the fish killers, will ensure that the festival does not take place next year anyway.

I am personally between a rock and a hard place on this. Perhaps mud weights ensuring I am not moored to the bank may be an answer. I am loath to go down to the fish killers without even a whimper.

Info has been given out about where mooring will be allowed:

Available mooring spaces going northwards will be marked out by CRT and are as follows:

Br 46-47 11 boats

Br 47-48 2 boats

Br 48-49 1 boat

Br 49-50 11 boats

Br 50-51 2 boats

Br 51-52 12 boats

Br 52-53 8 boats + 6 breasted up

I have no idea how that compares with previous years. I assume these places will be taken by working/historic boats, so where do ordinary boaters moor? Perhaps booking a mooring is the only way to find out the impact of the restrictions.

Info has been given out about where mooring will be allowed:

Available mooring spaces going northwards will be marked out by CRT and are as follows:

Br 46-47 11 boats

Br 47-48 2 boats

Br 48-49 1 boat

Br 49-50 11 boats

Br 50-51 2 boats

Br 51-52 12 boats

Br 52-53 8 boats + 6 breasted up

I have no idea how that compares with previous years. I assume these places will be taken by working/historic boats, so where do ordinary boaters moor? Perhaps booking a mooring is the only way to find out the impact of the restrictions.

53 spaces. That should just about cover the (ex)working boats.

Now, what are we going to do with the 150 or so other boats that normally turn up?

THAT is the scale of the problem caused by this last minute edict from Natural England/CRT/fish killers.

In my experience I suspect that behind all this there is a rich landowner with the financial resources and friends in high places to use well-intentioned legal acts to keep their serfs tugging their forlocks. The fisher serfs seem to be unaware that they are being used by their lord and they will be the next to be banned from his canal. That's the way it is in the Home Counties. Further south the canal was sold off, filled in and a former canal bridge is the best feature of a boring housing estate.

I despair, most of our National Parks and SSSIs were formed by industry; mining, milling, pottery and iron. Movement of boats, especially a gathering of enthusiasts, is what has seen a few stagnant miles of canal transformed into linear parks and huge wildlife habitat. The flora and forna are not threatened by boats, they thrive only because a majority like to see our recent heritage preserved.

Maybe a 'mass trespass' is the best response? What if 500 boats just happened to cruise up the Ashby?

Alan

Annoyed by the Basingtoke, pleased with the K&A reopening until BW threw £Ms away on unnecessary consultations and incomplete 'improvements'.

Now, what are we going to do with the 150 or so other boats that normally turn up?

THAT is the scale of the problem caused by this last minute edict from Natural England/CRT/fish killers.

George - from experience and the school of hard knocks I would say that CRT are between a rock and a hard place - NE have the full force of the law behind them and they are not afraid to use it. NE will do what it wants, in my experience of the Basingstoke, and what I have seen suggests, sadly, they care not a jot for any other interests.

Thats a very drastic increase in boats

In its 18th year the Festival was host to a varied selection of visiting attractions throughout the weekend.

On the canal an armada of some 70 plus visiting boats were on show with more than 30 historic narrowboats gracing the banks of the Ashby.

Thats a very drastic increase in boats

Yes. Having attended this rally on a number of occasions I am at a loss as to where the official figures come from.

I can only suggest that the majority of attendees have not traditionally booked in, perhaps preferring to buy a day ticket to the site.

• 2 weeks later...

..............so where do ordinary boaters moor?

Rather confused by the somewhat contradictory notices fixed to the bridge at Marston Junction during the past week. The notice on the left hand side of the arch (festival organiser's notice I think) states that mooring restrictions are in place between Bridges 49 (just north of Congerstone) and bridge 53 (just before the winding hole at Shackerstone). However the C&RT notice affixed to the right hand side of the arch states that all towpath mooring is suspended between bridge 46 (half way bewteen Market Bosworth and Congerstone) and the canal terminus at Snarestone. So if the proprietors of the Horse and Jockey at Congerstone and the Globe at Snarestone are wondering where all their canal customers are this weekend.............

Ah well they will join another nearly 2000 miles that never get dredged

Well they were dredging the narrow cutting close to the start the other day, but a lot more will be needed to get deep draught historic boats comfortably to the terminus.

I travelled recently as far as Market Bosworth but gave up there and returned. Its not that the solid bottom is too shallow, more that there is an unusually deep layer of soft mud on top. This translates as increasingly slow progress on my 33" draught boat, with more engine revs just making you even slower. In fact up to Stoke Golding reasonable progress can be made, but immediately north of this is noticeably worse.

Another effect of the mud layer is that a boat such as mine can be slowly pulled towards the bank to moor without any tendency to heel, but on departure the boat has first to be dragged/pushed towards the centre before any forward or reverse progress can be made.

Well they were dredging the narrow cutting close to the start the other day, but a lot more will be needed to get deep draught historic boats comfortably to the terminus.I travelled recently as far as Market Bosworth but gave up there and returned. Its not that the solid bottom is too shallow, more that there is an unusually deep layer of soft mud on top. This translates as increasingly slow progress on my 33" draught boat, with more engine revs just making you even slower. In fact up to Stoke Golding reasonable progress can be made, but immediately north of this is noticeably worse.Another effect of the mud layer is that a boat such as mine can be slowly pulled towards the bank to moor without any tendency to heel, but on departure the boat has first to be dragged/pushed towards the centre before any forward or reverse progress can be made.

The past couple of years, we've been up to the terminus basin in several deep craft, including Victoria- loaded to 3'2" or hereabouts at the time- also Emu, and other deep draughted boats. It wasn't particularly hard going either- I first steered a loaded boat on that bit, and didn't get stemmed up or stuck at all.

The past couple of years, we've been up to the terminus basin in several deep craft, including Victoria- loaded to 3'2" or hereabouts at the time- also Emu, and other deep draughted boats. It wasn't particularly hard going either- I first steered a loaded boat on that bit, and didn't get stemmed up or stuck at all.

Fair comment although I also didn't get stuck, but do you agree about the layer of mud I encountered since it was a relatively unique experience for me despite covering a fair part of the total network?

Even the notorious Macclesfield was just shallow in places but not as muddy, so generally not as slow.

We did the ashby in 2011. I recall it being shallow in some places, deep enough in others. In the shallow places you really had to stay in the channel or go aground. I don't recall progress being that slow -no worse than the shallow bits of the Macc. and we went right to the end. That was 3 yrs ago though.

Fair comment although I also didn't get stuck, but do you agree about the layer of mud I encountered since it was a relatively unique experience for me despite covering a fair part of the total network?Even the notorious Macclesfield was just shallow in places but not as muddy, so generally not as slow.

We took Spey up to the top this afternoon, and it draws 3'6". Or, rather, 100 yards from the top, because the lady from The canal society (?) wouldn't open the bridge and let us do the last 100 yards, because we weren't mooring. Only ran over a couple of things near one Bridgehole.

Can't say I noticed a layer of mud coming up, only once but we were passing a loaded boat at the time.