Just found this on youtube

muddywaters

Featured Posts

"This BTF documentary depicts the uses made of the inland waterways in the early 1960s. The boats and fashions have changed and the commercial traffic using narrow boats has all but gone, but much else is unchanged. The Zoo Water Bus still navigates the Regents Canal. Hire boats for partying, although bankers these days will want more spectacular venues than the Bank of Bangkok staff of 1962 experienced. There is still a trip boat at Newark, though it does not offer a five day trip form Nottingham to Lincoln as featured n this film. There are some changes with the passage of time . Upton on Severn Water Festival has down graded from an ox roast to a pig roast and Coventry Cathedral is not new any more." .......

"This BTF documentary depicts the uses made of the inland waterways in the early 1960s. The boats and fashions have changed and the commercial traffic using narrow boats has all but gone, but much else is unchanged. The Zoo Water Bus still navigates the Regents Canal. Hire boats for partying, although bankers these days will want more spectacular venues than the Bank of Bangkok staff of 1962 experienced. There is still a trip boat at Newark, though it does not offer a five day trip form Nottingham to Lincoln as featured n this film. There are some changes with the passage of time . Upton on Severn Water Festival has down graded from an ox roast to a pig roast and Coventry Cathedral is not new any more." .......

Robert Mitchum appears to be steering the zoo boat in that video.

The smart uniforms were not just for the film, I remember the London Zoo waterbus in the 1960s and the crew wore the full mock naval uniform every day.. I also rememver some of the lock keepers on the GU also wearing a very similar uniform.

• 2 months later...

Interesting that 'Water Kelpie' (THEMIS) looks to be used for some sort of self-drive hire, maybe it's the boat with the Scouts? I'd always understood it to have been (one of the first) skippered day trip boats.

A former captain of the Water Wanderer, Tiny Alexander, skippered Mabel & Forget-me-Not for one or two seasons in the late 1960s. It could well be him seen steering the Water Wanderer.

Tim

Edited by Timleech

The smart uniforms were not just for the film, I remember the London Zoo waterbus in the 1960s and the crew wore the full mock naval uniform every day.. I also rememver some of the lock keepers on the GU also wearing a very similar uniform.

That carried on up to at least until 1970 George who steered Wllow Wren's trip boat was always kitted out in collar, tie, neatly pressed trousers,& blazer, can't remember what the badge on the pocket was, any idea's David.

The Willow Wren "skipper" who steered Water Ouzell (Ex Sun) was George Walker a Director of Willow Wren, I helped him to get to Stratford in 1964 for the re-opening of the canal, I was captain of Jupiter ( Ex The Hawk ) and Saturn.