Evictions on the River Thames

nine9feet

Featured Posts

"illegally" ?

It's "illegal" to moor alongside private land now is it?

When did they change the trespass laws?

Badger and Nigel Moore seem to be coming up with some cogent legal analysis. You, on the other hand, seem to be simply advocating knuckle-dragging vigilantism.

I think you may have misunderstood the various laws on theft. (or are you contending they cruised off with the land in their pockets?)

"illegally" ?

It's "illegal" to moor alongside private land now is it?

When did they change the trespass laws?

Badger and Nigel Moore seem to be coming up with some cogent legal analysis. You, on the other hand, seem to be simply advocating knuckle-dragging vigilantism.

I think you may have misunderstood the various laws on theft. (or are you contending they cruised off with the land in their pockets?)

Oops what they have done is stolen the right of the landowner to use his land by mooring there

Peter

Interesting about the "urban myth" years ago I was vice chairman of Pinner Anglers

Jeez that brings back memories, I used to be in there as a junior member - they had a small pond in Stanmore they used to lease.

Jeez that brings back memories, I used to be in there as a junior member - they had a small pond in Stanmore they used to lease.

I was there when they first got the lease, in the grounds of a nursing home, spent an age clearing swims and dredging (by hand) tons of fallen leaves. The only fish in it were Orfe and Crucian Carp. Mind you we soon managed to stock it with ahem cough cough liberated fish.

Small world innit?

Phil

I was there when they first got the lease, in the grounds of a nursing home, spent an age clearing swims and dredging (by hand) tons of fallen leaves. The only fish in it were Orfe and Crucian Carp. Mind you we soon managed to stock it with ahem cough cough liberated fish.

Small world innit?

Phil

Yes. Used to cycle there from Pinner. We did catch a bream out of there plus an orfe. :)

• 1 month later...

Narrowboatworld recently published an article on Kingston Council [legitimately] removing boats under their new byelaws, and mentioned that Richmond were going the same route.

For any interested in taking part in the consultation over the proposed new byelaws to control mooring on the Council’s public riverbank [whether for or against, or with suggested fair-use patterns], all the information relating to the proposed byelaw and the consultation is available on the Council’s website at:

http://www.richmond.gov.uk/byelaws_and_local_legislation

The consultation commenced on 26th September. Any objections need to be made to the Department for Communities and Local Government by 10th November. The contact details are available on the above webpage.

And these boats being in close proximity to a licensed repository of Class Section 5 of the1968 (and amendments) Firearms Act firearms . . .

Yes, being strictly accurate, of course. My terminology came from use by police firearms officers who refer to classes of weapons that fall under differing sections of the Act. Hence ‘class 5’ [in that common parlance] firearms are any of half-a-dozen classes of weapon that fall within Section 5 of the Act.

Yes, being strictly accurate, of course. My terminology came from use by police firearms officers who refer to classes of weapons that fall under differing sections of the Act. Hence ‘class 5’ [in that common parlance] firearms are any of half-a-dozen classes of weapon that fall within Section 5 of the Act.

This discussion is not for a canal forum, but I'd be pleased to mail you a copy of the 1968 Firearms Act (section 5) and the Home Office Guide on Firearms Licensing Law 2014 if you would like to take this further.

They have been recently moved from chertsey, if its the same boats one of them is a 95x16 humber keel. Big boat to find a mooring for !!

The mooring which was previously squatted at Chertsey was previously a visitor mooring but now the land owner has decided to put up no mooring signs with a threat of £100 fine if you tie up there sad.png

The waterworks moorings were squatted before but there is access so they keep coming back.

When i went past there 3 weeks ago Archimedes and Ara were there - don't know who's using them now...

Difference between Thames and the cut is that land ownership is generally private on the River which is not the case on the cut, yet.

Must have been extended.

. . . if you would like to take this further.

Thanks Alan, but I have copies already, along with my long-held Certificate for a s.5 weapon. In truth, I rather regretted making that post in the first place – and in any event, I hope it is clear enough that I am not disagreeing with you.

Must have been extended.

Don't think so but I just checked and it actually isn't a humber keel. Its a lighter. Used between York and Goole apparently. And its 92x17ft. Sorry for the misinformation ! Still a big boat though...

This

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bustardthorpe

But.. National Hysteric Ships agree with my original description ;)

http://www.nationalhistoricships.org.uk/register/989/bustardthorpe-miranda-mayne

Don't think so but I just checked and it actually isn't a humber keel. Its a lighter. Used between York and Goole apparently. And its 92x17ft. Sorry for the misinformation ! Still a big boat though...

This

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bustardthorpe

But.. National Hysteric Ships agree with my original description wink.png

http://www.nationalhistoricships.org.uk/register/989/bustardthorpe-miranda-mayne

It is a problem with misc. boats from that area......what do you call it if it is built by a yard that built keels, during the time period when they were building keels, that is the shape of a keel........but never had a mast and sail and is the wrong size to fit most of the "traditional" keel waterways ?