hit by narrow boat

Simon clarke

Featured Posts

Im moored up above abingdon. I just moved back on moorings to give narrow boat plenty of room to manouvre. Unfortuntly they just hired it and only there second day. He was going astern but wIred to long to put it in forward gear and a piece of metal connected with my hull which

has left a 1inch by 1/4 inch deppresion in my hull

at front. Like a gouge. Obviously mine is grp and the hull of mine projected over his rope bumper. If you were me what would you do. They have said sorry and I hues a bit of fillerwould solve it or should I be worried about unseen damage.

GRP can appear to have very little damage but below the surface can be 'spiders webs' of damage.

It could possibly 'sprung a crack' all the way through which has then closed up on the bounce-back.

GRP boats are not called 'splitters for nothing'

You ideally should get their details (and the hire company) and get the insurance involved. Winesses, photos, get everything you can.

just to be on the safe side get full details from everybody, photographs, ideally with a film camera instead of digital (include something for scale in the photo).

It might all be for nothing, it all depends on angle of impact, Is it a crush depression or a gouge. If it's a gouge then its probably just surface, if it is a crush depression then there could be underlying damage but it all depends on where on the hull and it's construction at that point.

Even if there is underlying damage it's a very small impact area and IMO it's very unlikely to be critical. It's probable that it just needs cosmetic repair.

edit for fat finger repllsfkny

Edited by John V

If the impact was sufficiently hard enough to cause internal damage as Alan suggests I would expect to see some signs on the internal surface. To repair I would use Isopon Gelcoat Filler on the outside and slap a patch of a couple of layers of chopped glass and resin inside and then forget about it.

If you have not used Gelcoat Filler before PM me for hints, no need to bore people with it. Good Luck

Phil

Simon clarke, on 17 Aug 2014 - 5:00 PM, said:

It's right in the middle of the bow just below the rubbing strake. I have accessto the impact area from inside and can see its well laid up. Very thick grp and no spiders web or any other sign of cracking. Like you say probably cosmetic.

The bow is always a pretty tough area - "built to bash", if there is nothing visual inside then you are probably OK, just patch it up.

Edit - it may still be worth an email or registered letter to the hire company, so that if in future any problems do arise there is a record of the impact.

Edited by Alan de Enfield

if i remember correctly the hirer pays a £50 deposit for insurance purposes to cover any damage they may cause.

Actually not always.

Some take a deposit which is refundable if no damage is caused. Can be any thing up to around £500, the £50 payments are collision damage waivers which are non refundable even if no damage is caused.

Im moored up above abingdon. I just moved back on moorings to give narrow boat plenty of room to manouvre. Unfortuntly they just hired it and only there second day. He was going astern but wIred to long to put it in forward gear and a piece of metal connected with my hull which

at front. Like a gouge. Obviously mine is grp and the hull of mine projected over his rope bumper. If you were me what would you do. They have said sorry and I hues a bit of fillerwould solve it or should I be worried about unseen damage.

In addition to the other helpful advice already said on here, please also report it to the Canal & River Trust https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/contact-us/visitor-incidents, if such incidents are not reported, then they are invisible to the navigation authority.

There's a simple form that can be sent in and you can back it up with a call to CRT customer services, or you can email CRT directly, the sections and questions on the form can help you compose an email.

It will be helpful to have the details reported.

Regards

Rob

In addition to the other helpful advice already said on here, please also report it to the Canal & River Trust https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/contact-us/visitor-incidents, if such incidents are not reported, then they are invisible to the navigation authority.

Rob, why do they need to know?

Surely trivial collisions like this happen many times a day out there on the 2000 miles of network.

MtB

ALWAYS the insurance company. Our car was hit from behind many years ago - we were stopped at a Give Way sign, other traffic passing in front. Woman driver who wasn't sure what to do so, after we moved both cars out of the way so not blocking road, she phoned for her husband to come who started looking at our car and saying to me don't go through their insurance company, he's got a mate about 10 miles away who can fix the dents in our car... so I went home and called their insurance company!

They said to bring our car to their inspector, fortunately very close to my workplace so didn't have to go out of my way. He opened the back doors and boot and showed me various squashed-in 'impact seams' which are designed to cushion blows. Things had to be straightened out properly by the dealer (Mazda) and the bill was estimated to be around (in today's prices) 2500 Pounds. I asked the insurance inspector could he phone to the other driver's husband (as I thought it best straight from the horse's mouth so to say) and I heard hubby shout "WHAT????!!!!" when the inspector told him the cost of the damage. Hubby didn't want to lose his insurance bonus. The inspector said you can pay 2500 or lose your bonus - which shall it be? I laughed and I laughed, at hubby who had tried to screw me and 'get his mate to fix that for ya'.

Insurance companies rip us all off - let them foot the bill. It's what we pay for.

There's a simple form that can be sent in and you can back it up with a call to CRT customer services, or you can email CRT directly, the sections and questions on the form can help you compose an email.

It will be helpful to have the details reported.

Regards

Rob

On the thames?

Edited by Phoenix_V

From your description, I assume it was a fairly minor impact and unlikely to cause the serious hidden damage that has been suggested may have occurred. It is likely that it is just a small dent that can be fixed easily.

Isn't there some phrase about lies, whopping lies.... and statistics?

Possibly, however different sources seem to saying the same thing.

In our personal case I had a 'fault' claim last year resulting in a loss of 7 years NCD (went from a max. of 9 to 3 as a result). I am a named driver on Jan's insurance.

I expected a big jump in our premium as a result. It went up £36 pound per annum and remains just over £200 with Budget insurance for a FIAT 500L 1.4 Popstar. I actually don't think that's bad.

The overall reduction in premiums generally is attributed to a drive to reduce insurance fraud and 'crash for cash incidents' - they actively share information about claims now and this is helping stamp out fraud. I know this to be true because my daughters insurance co. (a different one) could access all the details of my claim via. their systems as I am a named driver on her policy too.