Best way to siphon diesel?

LankyStreak

Featured Posts

Isn't the Law of fuel retailing that you can only sell diesel into portable containers over 10 litres if they are metal?

I have previously regularly topped up our 10L plastic containers and 20l with Kerosene without any issue.

For petrol though it seems a different matter.

Found this.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/17548007

I always use proper 5L containers for petrol though especially if stored on the boat. I have loads of diesel stashed for emergencies, not on the boat though LOL

Actually it quite amuses me that the number of replies to a thread titled "Best way to siphon diesel?" far out strips the number of replied to the thread titled "Fuel filler caps". Tends to suggest there the skills of the forum lie ohmy.png

Actually it quite amuses me that the number of replies to a thread titled "Best way to siphon diesel?" far out strips the number of replied to the thread titled "Fuel filler caps". Tends to suggest there the skills of the forum lie ohmy.png

Or there were less people on the forum at the time.

Isn't the Law of fuel retailing that you can only sell diesel into portable containers over 10 litres if they are metal?

There is a notice on the pumps at our local ASDA that say as much.

I don't think it applies when selling 'red' though.

Petrol may only be supplied into approved containers, diesel is not so regulated -but retail stores apply the petrol regs to diesel.

Petrol softens plastics at different rates, the approved plastic withstands petrol, others may dissolve in hours.

Polythene withstands diesel.

Petrol may only be supplied into approved containers, diesel is not so regulated -but retail stores apply the petrol regs to diesel.

Petrol softens plastics at different rates, the approved plastic withstands petrol, others may dissolve in hours.

Polythene withstands diesel.

Interesting.

The ASDA store I mentioned will only let you dispense 5 litres of petrol into a can, but 10 litres of diesel is OK......

Where do outboard motor fuel containers fit into this scenario, legally? my largest one is 3 gallon, circa 15 litres, I've not been challenged at the pump yet. Neither has my mate with a large jerry can.

Re petrol

How many containers can I fill at a petrol station?

Petrol filling stations may have their own internal policy on the types and numbers of containers they are prepared to fill - frequently one or two 5 litre plastic and/or one or two 10 litre metal. This is a decision made by the filling station operator and is not a legal requirement.

Petrol filling stations usually have to abide by a licence condition to allow only 'suitable' containers to be filled. This is usually interpreted as metal containers up to a maximum size of 23 litres or plastic containers up to a maximum size of 5 litres. A licence condition has the same effect as a legal requirement. The licence condition does not limit how many containers one customer may fill.

My outboard fuel cans are metal, I suppose the nub of the above is in the second paragraph re licences, but the licence condition is imposed on the garage not me.

I generally buy my red diesel in 20 litre jerrycans whenever I'm passing the cheapest seller around here in my car. I later transfer the fuel from the jerrycan into the stern tank of my boat. Sometimes I siphon it the old-fashioned way with a plastic tube, sucking but trying not to get a mouthful of diesel. I also have a Draper self-priming siphon but the one-way valve inside the rubber priming bulb keeps coming off so I nearly always have to take it to pieces, and anyway the valve restricts the flow so it's very slow to siphon 20 litres.

What is the best way to siphon diesel out of a can without swallowing it or spilling any?

Are you a pikey??

Edited to say, 'if you were, you would already know!

Edited by fudd

Are all those who are filling their boats from jerry cans:

1. buying road (white) diesel duty paid?
  2. buying red diesel from a boatyard or marina and declaring the appropriate propulsion/non propulsion split?
  3. buying red diesel or gas oil intended for agricultural/plant use or as heating fuel?

• buying road (white) diesel duty paid?
  • buying red diesel from a boatyard or marina and declaring the appropriate propulsion/non propulsion split?
  • buying red diesel or gas oil intended for agricultural/plant use or as heating fuel?

...is this a poll?

If so......

• buying road (white) diesel duty paid?
  • buying red diesel from a boatyard or marina and declaring the appropriate propulsion/non propulsion split?
  • buying red diesel or gas oil intended for agricultural/plant use or as heating fuel?

1) are you a nark for HMRC?

2) are you just a busy body?

3) don't you have anything better to worry about?

:-)

2. buying red diesel from a boatyard or marina and declaring the appropriate propulsion/non propulsion split?
  3. buying red diesel or gas oil intended for agricultural/plant use or as heating fuel?

In my case it's 2 but making that HMRC declaration is meaningless. We have to declare our "intended" use for the fuel when we make that propulsion/non-propulsion split. It's hard enough, as discussed many times elsewhere, when the guy at the boatyard is putting diesel directly into my boat's tank. But if he's filling my jerry cans and I don't even know when (i.e. winter or summer) I'll be using them to top up the boat's tank how can I possibly know myself how I intend to use that fuel?

Mind your own beeswax.

• Greenie 2

• 1 year later...

This thread is a bit old now but I found the following document on the RYA website, interestingly it states that there are no specific restrictions for storing diesel.

http://www.rya.org.uk/SiteCollectionDocuments/legal/Web%20Documents/Legal%20Leaflets/Clubs/Premises/CARRIAGE%20AND%20STORAGE%20OF%20PETROL%20AND%20DIESEL.pdf

Edited by arcsyst

Re petrol

How many containers can I fill at a petrol station?

Petrol filling stations may have their own internal policy on the types and numbers of containers they are prepared to fill - frequently one or two 5 litre plastic and/or one or two 10 litre metal. This is a decision made by the filling station operator and is not a legal requirement.

Petrol filling stations usually have to abide by a licence condition to allow only 'suitable' containers to be filled. This is usually interpreted as metal containers up to a maximum size of 23 litres or plastic containers up to a maximum size of 5 litres. A licence condition has the same effect as a legal requirement. The licence condition does not limit how many containers one customer may fill.

My outboard fuel cans are metal, I suppose the nub of the above is in the second paragraph re licences, but the licence condition is imposed on the garage not me.

I have never had any issues filling a pair of 20l metal cans with petrol at the forecourt for using on trackdays for instance, and having spoken to the local police force about it, they have no issue with me transporting that in my car, although has been correctly said you cannot store petrol at your home in this configuration. On occasion if I have only used one of the two day, I pour half one one into the other, or pour it into towcar!

Diesel is much less restricted.

24 hour self service pay at pump stations at tesco is the way to get hassle free fuel.

We used them all the time when I was racing the bikes, the old sidecar liked a drop of full fat petrol so it was easier to get it when no one was about to give you earache.

Not been deaded yet by carrying decent amounts of fuel - although I did meet a guy refueling 20 riders in a stripped out SJ410 (The ones that fell over) full of 20 l jerry cans in deepest mid Wales, I can still see the intense look of fear and concentration 13 years on :)