CRT Press Release - New initiatives to help manage London Moorings

Leo No2

Featured Posts

CANAL & RIVER TRUST INTRODUCES NEW INITIATIVES TO HELP MANAGE LONDON MOORINGS

This month, the Canal & River Trust is beginning a range of initiatives to help manage the ever-increasing number of boats in London. Its recruiting a number of enforcement personnel, starting a programme of text-messaging reminders to overstaying boaters and bringing in some changes to central London visitor moorings.

Londons waterways have seen a 36% rise in boat numbers over the past five years to 2,964 boats in March 2014 (from 2,175 boats in 2007). In the past year alone, overall numbers have risen by 14%, while the number of continuous cruisers in East London has increased by 85%. The new initiatives, which include the recently-announced changes to central London visitor moorings, aim to encourage greater movement of boats to make mooring fairer for everyone.

This month the Trust will start to text message Londons boaters when theyve reached the maximum stay time on a 14-day towpath mooring, as a gentle reminder that its time to move on. These reminders are already sent to boaters on parts of the Kennet & Avon Canal. The Trusts team will carry on speaking face-to-face with overstaying boaters and leaving notices on boats.

The Trust has recently recruited an enforcement supervisor and an additional enforcement officer for London. Another enforcement officer vacancy is also being advertised to bring the London enforcement team back up to full strength. Enforcement is vital, especially in busy locations that are popular with boaters who may be having trouble getting to grips with the movement rules. The enforcement team enforces the rules so everyone is treated fairly, and also offers advice and guidance to boaters who run into difficulties.

The Trusts programme of new casual moorings is moving forward with new mooring rings on the way at Camden (Camley Street) and Haggerston (Actons Lock). The sites require the completion of a technical assessment and appropriate timetabling of the work and it is hoped the installation will start soon. Moorings are also being planned along the Lee Navigation next to the Queen Elizabeth Olympic Park. Boaters views on other suitable locations are welcome.

The Trust is aiming to establish additional facilities for boaters by seeking provision in new canalside development, as well as any new mooring sites. In particular, new facilities are planned in Haggerston and on the Lee Navigation by the Queen Elizabeth Olympic Park.

In August a number of changes will be made to the visitor moorings in Paddington Basin. The plan includes installing a new water point, updating signage and new bookable moorings at Rembrandt Gardens.

These actions build on feedback from the Better Relationships Group, which was set up with boating groups to help improve communications and engage boaters, in particular, in developing local policy.

Sorwar Ahmed, London boater liaison manager at the Canal & River Trust, said: Were doing all we can to manage the canals and rivers for the benefit of all both those who make Londons waterways their home, and those who want to visit the capital. I hope these measures help to ease the pressure of boating in the capital, and give everyone a fair chance to moor up safely.

Does this mean that 2965 boats will all shift 1mile, every 14days. Can the canal system in London cope with that? The number of boats in London will still be 2965 boats. There will be the same queue for elsan disposal etc.

Am I missing something ?smile.png

Edited by DeanS

Does this mean that 2965 boats will all shift 1mile, every 14days. Can the canal system in London cope with that? The number of boats in London will still be 2965 boats. There will be the same queue for elsan disposal etc.

No I don't think so - this is the point I'm trying to make in the other thread (Aylesbury Arm).

If they had a dozen reserved moorings for visitors to pre-book, some people would visit London by boat rather than be worried about not getting a mooring.

Edited by mark99

Just make new boaters moor in Stoke bruerne for a week, they will never want to boat again.

Yes, please explain. I only went there once last year for a few hours on a sunny weekend afternoon but found it rather pleasant, so maybe I missed something. The worst I can think of to say about Stoke Bruerne is:

(1) It's busy, it gets lots of harmless gongoozlers. Don't hang about there if you want peace and quiet.

(2) The rubbish bins were rather full and messy, and as I think applies elsewhere on the canals in general, I can't see why CRT and/or the local council don't provide more recycling bins, which I would have thought might reduce their disposal costs. Anyway, there's other topics to discuss that question.

I think the theory is that while enforcing the rule that people who don't have a residential mooring there must move every 14 days doesn't directly reduce the number of boats at all, this enforcement will be a nuisance to anyone who is breaking the rule, without creating any difficulty for anyone who's just passing through London.

The calculation seems to be that by making life a bit more awkward for the rule-breakers, some of them who don't absolutely have to live in one small area of prime central London will choose to move their boat elsewhere. It might help, I don't know, but I don't see it doing any harm.

If someone moors their boat to the towpath in a place on the system where there's never any trouble finding a mooring (nowhere near London then), somewhere that's not obstructing anything, and hardly ever moves much, do CRT just turn a blind eye as long as they've bought their annual licence? It might be a wise policy if they did, to help ease the pressure on the hotspots?

Perhaps you would care to explain?

Yes certainly.

Plastered in signs, museum selling tack, you strutting up and down the towpath attempting to micro manage something that does not need it, and the general feeling I got of being in some sort of theme park.

Yes certainly.

Plastered in signs, museum selling tack, you strutting up and down the towpath attempting to micro manage something that does not need it, and the general feeling I got of being in some sort of theme park.

So what was I doing exactly that seemed so much to upset you?

Where did I say anything about upsetting me. You asked me to explain after I voiced an opinion, and I have.

And as that explanation contained a comment, namely "strutting up and down the towpath attempting to micro manage something that does not need it" which suggested that Kathryn was part of the problem, it is fair enough that she should ask you to elaborate.

And as that explanation contained a comment, namely "strutting up and down the towpath attempting to micro manage something that does not need it" which suggested that Kathryn was part of the problem, it is fair enough that she should ask you to elaborate.

Who pulled your chain? I think she is more than capable of speaking for herself.

Yes certainly.

That does seem pretty harsh.

Bob

Lol

So are you leaving the cut then Jenlyn, having visited Stoke Bruerne?

PS its a Museum ;)

You go in look at the collection (if you like that sort of thing) then you go out. They all have shops with tripe but who says you have to go in the shop???

I haven't been there for about 10 years maybe its just a shop now if so apologies.

PS its a Museum ;)

You go in look at the collection (if you like that sort of thing) then you go out. They all have shops with tripe but who says you have to go in the shop???

I haven't been there for about 10 years maybe its just a shop now if so apologies.

That does seem pretty harsh.

Bob

Only saying as I see it. Someone has too. Before the whole canal turns into a managed flippin theme park, selling magic cards, espresso cups with names on and pink jelly pens.

It's supposed to be a museum, I agree.

To get back to the original post those figures that CRT quote are wrong. The figure of 2175 in 2007 is the total of ALL boaters registered as having no home mooring, not just those in London. The current figure quoted is just for London.

Edited by pearley