No water

Ricco1

Featured Posts

The day before yesterday the lock free Upper Peak Forest and Macclesfield as far as Bosley were over 3 inches down on the normal level. There were plenty of boats out on Monday, most of them grounding regularly. I personally scraped the bottom 3 times between New Mills and Whaley Bridge. The restaurant boat at Whaley struggled to turn round at the New Mills winding hole. It was so shallow that his rudder was stuck against the pilings to he extent that he couldn't move it.

Todd Brook and Combs reservoirs, that feed the system, are far from empty. As far as I know CRT own these and can release a higher amount of water at any time at no extra cost. If that's right you really have to wonder why they can't predict that a large number of boats will use the locks at Marple and Bosley in the summer and school holidays, and be proactive with their provision for water for the system.

It may be that CRT have made an agreement with water companies to maintain a minimum level in those reservoirs and would be liable for a default fee if they drop. This happens at Hurlesdon.

That's totally ludicrous, to own a body of water and not be able to use it for the purpose it was designed for. mad.gif

Although it would also be better if a 3" drop in level didn't cause such problems. When "the bottom is too close to the top", one solution is to make the bottom lower!

Exactly , we need a major program of dredging but it's the first thing that's stopped when the infrastructure fails or the voles need more reeds.

Exactly , we need a major program of dredging but it's the first thing that's stopped when the infrastructure fails or the voles need more reeds.

The manager of the area that covers the Peak Forest is on record as saying no dredging is necessary.

The level on the Peak Forest/Macc is deliberately kept 2" off to minimise high level leakage. Don't they realise that if you dry the puddle out by keeping the level lower, the area of high level leakage creeps 2" lower?

George ex nb Alton retired

As I previously said the Marple flight needs some attention the noise of water leaking through top lock is like a waterfall this then goes into a silted up pound with a course of stones missing from the weir .

Talking of the Upper Peak Forest, there's a small winding hole at Disley, just south of the swing bridge. It can only turn boats up to 45-50ft but all the same, it's there. Each time I've passed there's been a boat moored opposite it. Does anyone know if it's an official winding hole? if so, might CRT provide a no mooring sign if prompted?

Talking of the Upper Peak Forest, there's a small winding hole at Disley, just south of the swing bridge. It can only turn boats up to 45-50ft but all the same, it's there. Each time I've passed there's been a boat moored opposite it. Does anyone know if it's an official winding hole? if so, might CRT provide a no mooring sign if prompted?

It is marked on the maps as a winding hole. It is 'orribly silted up though;I got quite stuck there last year, partly due to the boat moored opposite it has to be said!

It is marked on the maps as a winding hole. It is 'orribly silted up though;I got quite stuck there last year, partly due to the boat moored opposite it has to be said!

It's a winding hole on my map ! Used it 2 or 3 times this last few weeks, But can't now as that damn boat as been moored there for ages, !!!! But love the painting on the side of it, !!

As I previously said the Marple flight needs some attention the noise of water leaking through top lock is like a waterfall this then goes into a silted up pound with a course of stones missing from the weir .

We were held up by closures for a long time last winter, it was supposed to be 2 periods closed with a week's window between them, but the first closure over-ran so we were held up for the whole lot.

Didn't CaRT bottom the problems? We got down easily enough when the flight finally did re-open.

Roger

Edited by MyLady

Got to the top of Bosley today despite dragging through pound between 5 and 6. The Lockkeeper knows there is a leak there but nothing seems to be being done. He also told me we were in a drought because there had been no rain for two months and the three reservoirs that keep us topped up are low. Funny I seem to remember coming up the Severn only a moth ago in full foulies all day.

Edited by larryjc

He also told me we were in a drought because there had been no rain for two months and the three reservoirs that keep us topped up are low. Funny I seem to remember coming up the Severn only a moth ago in full foulies all day.

Regardless of whether it involved moths or butterflies, there was a period a few weeks ago when the south was getting a lot of heavy rain while the north, including the area of Peak Forest Canal, was having a long, dry spell.

Edited by MartinClark

Regardless of whether it involved moths or butterflies, there was a period a few weeks ago when the south was getting a lot of heavy rain while the north, including the area of Peak Forest Canal, was having a long, dry spell.

Funny what a change in location makes - to us the Macclesfield and Peak Forest seem part of 'the South' (ie south of the Pennines).

:)

Roger