Unusual or Comical Boat Names - The Best and Worst

Hanzbebe

Featured Posts

Just imagine if once registered boat name could not be used on any other boat ?

Sounds like a good idea to me, if I thought up something original I wouldn't really want lots of people copying it. And it might help CRT with enforcement. Is there any such rule with international marine shipping?

It has long been the rule on the Thames.

Years ago I saw a boat called Occtheaeus which I assumed was a classical reference. It transpired that the owner had made his fortune selling patent condiments and the name was an anagram of "The Sauce Co".

When we were having Trojan built, Mrs. Athy and I had some lively discussions about what style of boat we wanted, Trojan came close to being named "Compro" on one side and "Mise" on the other.

Sounds like a good idea to me, if I thought up something original I wouldn't really want lots of people copying it. And it might help CRT with enforcement. Is there any such rule with international marine shipping?

It's the rule on the Thames, AIUI. And the name has to be acceptable to the EA.

I'm surprised to see how many boats on the cut don't have the name on at all. Of course, the budget boat builders don't include sign writing in the price, one of the ways they disguise the true cost of the boat.

I'm surprised to see how many boats on the cut don't have the name on at all.

It appears on the licence, and I don't think that there's any rule saying that it has to be written on the boat also.

It appears on the licence, and I don't think that there's any rule saying that it has to be written on the boat also.

I've had this boat 15 years it's about to get it's 3rd paint job in that time and it's never had a name on the side. The only requirement is the index number. Right now it doesn't have that tbh but that's because it's been flatted off.

But surely that appears on your licence also, assuming that you have one. there is no compunction to display it anywhere else.

That's true, although it's tiny. Honest answer, I don't know if the index number on the licence counts as displaying it.

I know someone who bought a boat with the name "Lady Beaver". For reasons unknown he changed the name to Belladonna. His so called mate then got some small vinyl lettering in the same font and colour and added the word kebab on the bow lettering.

I've seen two or three boats in the B'ham area that are part of the Sloake Hunt Carrying Company. I don't get this myself but my daughter said its very rude.

............Dave

That's true, although it's tiny. Honest answer, I don't know if the index number on the licence counts as displaying it.

Of course it does. You display a licence. It includes the index number. Ergo, you are displaying the index number.

Perhaps by way of an explanation. There was a fellow crewman on a ship I was serving who was a black guy. We used to say "there were three legs, but only two flip flops"!

Martyn

Edited by Nightwatch

I moored near two muckin futch the other week

Musical reference from the early 1970s!

"Hush up Shirley, you talk too muckin' fuch".

(Rum Rhythm by Shirley & Charmers, I'm sure Wanted will remember it).

Not normally keen on the twee or play on words names but did quite like Arghi Barghi ( might have got the spelling wrong) that we spotted.a few weeks ago.

R.G.Bargee I think. I don't usually like the silly names but this one did make me smile.

..............Dave

There is no such thing as a 'comical' boat name.

Once you've seen the boat called "Sloake Hunt" and yawned with embarrassment and disappointment at the crassness and stupidity of some of your fellow boaters, killing yourself seems a good option.

MtB

• Greenie 1

There is no such thing as a 'comical' boat name.

Once you've seen the boat called "Sloake Hunt" and yawned with embarrassment and disappointment at the crassness and stupidity of some of your fellow boaters, killing yourself seems a good option.

MtB

Owned by Richard Head?